Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival > Vehicles & Transportation
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 12-03-2009, 09:46 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 1,027 Times in 515 Posts
Default Dangers of Overfilling Tires

Advertise Here

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/mi...412896148.html

Seems someone overfilled the tires and blowed up a bus. Ooops.

Sarcasm aside, there is no way a tire can explode causing the damage shown in the photo on that site.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:15 PM
Recent Blog:
Hiker

I agree that the damage was pretty extreme for a tire blowing up, but there are types of tires and rims that are called split rims that if you dont know what you are doing when putting them back together and you inflate them the wrong way they will kill you and one particular type has been named the widow maker because it comes apart in the middle and has 2 interlocking lips that if not done right your dead if your in front of it when it lets go.

The other thing that i can think of is they were using ether or another explosive gas and used too much and KABOOM trying to get the tire to seat the bead on the rim, it's an old mechanics trick, but dangerous.
The Following User Says Thank You to sayter liften For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2009, 01:09 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,154 Times in 499 Posts

A few years ago there was a news story from somewhere in South America, where a tire blew out on a bus. The shredded tire beat through the floor and jerked a toddler from next to it's mother in an instant! I remember the story because of its gruesome nature. On a related note, one of the dangers of rail travel in the steam engine days, was a broken driving rod. The poor metallurgy of the time meant the drive rods on the side of the steam engines were prone to break. As you know, the cab of those engines hung out over the wheels so the drivers could see around the boiler. When the rod would break, the broken end would beat the cab off the train, killing the engineer, and the train was then a runaway.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,808 Times in 1,753 Posts

It's possible. I knew someone who owned a heavy truck repair shop. He filled a tire without using the tire cage. To keep it polite here, it was a tightly closed casket.

Think of all the energy in a tire. It would take a 5hp compressore atleast 15 minutes to fill a tire that big. That much energy is equal to roughly 1300 150gr bullets at close range.

That energy displaced in 1 second (likley much less time than 1 second) is roughly a 4500hp motor.
The Following User Says Thank You to sailinghudson25 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2009, 10:17 AM

didnt watch the video but one possibility, they used to make a device where you'd take out a spark plug and screw in an adaptor, start the engine and the compression would fill the tire, worked quite well. now if tire was low or flat it gets hot, now think of a hot tire with the perfect air/fuel ratio under pressure= he wasnt the smartest man but he was a good friend
Old 12-12-2009, 12:47 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayter liften View Post
I agree that the damage was pretty extreme for a tire blowing up, but there are types of tires and rims that are called split rims that if you dont know what you are doing when putting them back together and you inflate them the wrong way they will kill you and one particular type has been named the widow maker because it comes apart in the middle and has 2 interlocking lips that if not done right your dead if your in front of it when it lets go.

The other thing that i can think of is they were using ether or another explosive gas and used too much and KABOOM trying to get the tire to seat the bead on the rim, it's an old mechanics trick, but dangerous.
When I air up a split rim tire I use a lock on airchuck and fill it standing out of the way. If the tire is off the truck either wrap a chain around it loose enough so you can unhook it or slide the tire under the truck on its side using the truck as a tire cage. This is what we did in the field when I was in the Guard.
Incidently a buddy of mine almost got changed from a rooster to a hen by a split rim tire.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:15 AM

another stupid concept beside the split rim is the 16" and 16.5 rim. a garage i worked at did alot of work for a local ambulance service, one ambulance took 16" tires, the other 16.5". a fellow mechanic changed the tires and the put on the wrong ones,the ambulance sat in the bay for 2 hrs. as i walked past it for tools it let loose. i required their services to remove a tool from my shin.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:37 AM
My Temperature is Right

Thanked 4,130 Times in 2,318 Posts

being near a truck tire when it lets go is a religious experience. My wife cant understand why I **** and moan at her when she insists on driving abreast of a semi in traffic. Saw a split ring go thru the side of butler building one day as I was airing it up. It busted up the cage and took the safety chain with it. I wasn't very functional for about a half hour after that.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trukboss View Post
didnt watch the video but one possibility, they used to make a device where you'd take out a spark plug and screw in an adaptor, start the engine and the compression would fill the tire, worked quite well. now if tire was low or flat it gets hot, now think of a hot tire with the perfect air/fuel ratio under pressure= he wasnt the smartest man but he was a good friend
This will work well on the newer engines ....you disconnect the fuel injector....no gas in the tire Done it many times with my 88 Jeep, I just keep the "retaining clip" off the number 3 injector electrical connection, then "pull the wire"; will fill a 32 inch tire from flat in 2/3 min.

I would never attempt this with carbureted engine as you will defiantly get a possibly explosive combination in the tire, might work “to get you home” but you would want to get that crap out of your tire ASAP

Just my $.02
Old 12-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Recent Blog:
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmbrwolf View Post
This will work well on the newer engines ....you disconnect the fuel injector....no gas in the tire Done it many times with my 88 Jeep, I just keep the "retaining clip" off the number 3 injector electrical connection, then "pull the wire"; will fill a 32 inch tire from flat in 2/3 min.

I would never attempt this with carbureted engine as you will defiantly get a possibly explosive combination in the tire, might work “to get you home” but you would want to get that crap out of your tire ASAP

Just my $.02
what about throttle body injection systems?
Old 12-13-2009, 02:27 PM

I would say same as a carb...No way to turn off fuel and keep the engine running
Old 12-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,808 Times in 1,753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmbrwolf View Post
I would say same as a carb...No way to turn off fuel and keep the engine running
You can unlpug an injector on a fuel injected engine. On an old diesel, unbolt the fuel line and have it dump via hose into a jug. On a new diesel engine, unplug the wire to the injector.

for you folks who have a non-working A/C system on their vehicles, it can easily be converted to a roughly 1hp air compressor. Got one that ride on it's own jockey belt from the alternator. I put the belt on when I need it. I takes me roughly 15 minutes to inflate all my tire from 16 psi upto 32 psi. 32x12.5x15's.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:47 PM

Someone in my town at a service station left an air pump on on a tractor tire, it blew throwing the rim into the owner of the tire killing him instantly. Shop is still open...

This is what a nitrous bottle does when left in a garage in a car on a hot summer day. It's alot more pressure but the volume is alot more on the tire...I'm guessing he left a heater on because my bottle has never hit more than 1100psi in 100 degree heat...
http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=143862