Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival > Vehicles & Transportation
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files



Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2009, 09:46 AM
infinityshock infinityshock is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: US
Posts: 1,349
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1,027 Times in 515 Posts
Default Dangers of Overfilling Tires



Advertise Here

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/mi...412896148.html

Seems someone overfilled the tires and blowed up a bus. Ooops.

Sarcasm aside, there is no way a tire can explode causing the damage shown in the photo on that site.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:15 PM
sayter liften's Avatar
sayter liften sayter liften is offline
Recent Blog:
Hiker
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: PAHRUMP NV
Age: 51
Posts: 633
Thanks: 416
Thanked 329 Times in 192 Posts
Default

I agree that the damage was pretty extreme for a tire blowing up, but there are types of tires and rims that are called split rims that if you dont know what you are doing when putting them back together and you inflate them the wrong way they will kill you and one particular type has been named the widow maker because it comes apart in the middle and has 2 interlocking lips that if not done right your dead if your in front of it when it lets go.

The other thing that i can think of is they were using ether or another explosive gas and used too much and KABOOM trying to get the tire to seat the bead on the rim, it's an old mechanics trick, but dangerous.
The Following User Says Thank You to sayter liften For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2009, 01:09 AM
Rabble's Avatar
Rabble Rabble is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 1,460
Thanks: 1,170
Thanked 1,154 Times in 499 Posts
Default

A few years ago there was a news story from somewhere in South America, where a tire blew out on a bus. The shredded tire beat through the floor and jerked a toddler from next to it's mother in an instant! I remember the story because of its gruesome nature. On a related note, one of the dangers of rail travel in the steam engine days, was a broken driving rod. The poor metallurgy of the time meant the drive rods on the side of the steam engines were prone to break. As you know, the cab of those engines hung out over the wheels so the drivers could see around the boiler. When the rod would break, the broken end would beat the cab off the train, killing the engineer, and the train was then a runaway.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:08 PM
sailinghudson25's Avatar
sailinghudson25 sailinghudson25 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 4,885
Thanks: 645
Thanked 2,808 Times in 1,753 Posts
Default

It's possible. I knew someone who owned a heavy truck repair shop. He filled a tire without using the tire cage. To keep it polite here, it was a tightly closed casket.

Think of all the energy in a tire. It would take a 5hp compressore atleast 15 minutes to fill a tire that big. That much energy is equal to roughly 1300 150gr bullets at close range.

That energy displaced in 1 second (likley much less time than 1 second) is roughly a 4500hp motor.
The Following User Says Thank You to sailinghudson25 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2009, 10:17 AM
trukboss trukboss is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: pittsburgh pa
Posts: 202
Thanks: 17
Thanked 197 Times in 83 Posts
Default

didnt watch the video but one possibility, they used to make a device where you'd take out a spark plug and screw in an adaptor, start the engine and the compression would fill the tire, worked quite well. now if tire was low or flat it gets hot, now think of a hot tire with the perfect air/fuel ratio under pressure= he wasnt the smartest man but he was a good friend
Old 12-12-2009, 12:47 AM
62bravo 62bravo is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,212
Thanks: 580
Thanked 791 Times in 418 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayter liften View Post
I agree that the damage was pretty extreme for a tire blowing up, but there are types of tires and rims that are called split rims that if you dont know what you are doing when putting them back together and you inflate them the wrong way they will kill you and one particular type has been named the widow maker because it comes apart in the middle and has 2 interlocking lips that if not done right your dead if your in front of it when it lets go.

The other thing that i can think of is they were using ether or another explosive gas and used too much and KABOOM trying to get the tire to seat the bead on the rim, it's an old mechanics trick, but dangerous.
When I air up a split rim tire I use a lock on airchuck and fill it standing out of the way. If the tire is off the truck either wrap a chain around it loose enough so you can unhook it or slide the tire under the truck on its side using the truck as a tire cage. This is what we did in the field when I was in the Guard.
Incidently a buddy of mine almost got changed from a rooster to a hen by a split rim tire.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:15 AM
trukboss trukboss is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: pittsburgh pa
Posts: 202
Thanks: 17
Thanked 197 Times in 83 Posts
Default

another stupid concept beside the split rim is the 16" and 16.5 rim. a garage i worked at did alot of work for a local ambulance service, one ambulance took 16" tires, the other 16.5". a fellow mechanic changed the tires and the put on the wrong ones,the ambulance sat in the bay for 2 hrs. as i walked past it for tools it let loose. i required their services to remove a tool from my shin.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:37 AM
cranky1950's Avatar
cranky1950 cranky1950 is offline
My Temperature is Right
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 5,578
Thanks: 1,323
Thanked 4,130 Times in 2,318 Posts
Default

being near a truck tire when it lets go is a religious experience. My wife cant understand why I **** and moan at her when she insists on driving abreast of a semi in traffic. Saw a split ring go thru the side of butler building one day as I was airing it up. It busted up the cage and took the safety chain with it. I wasn't very functional for about a half hour after that.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:24 PM
tmbrwolf tmbrwolf is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Central PA
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trukboss View Post
didnt watch the video but one possibility, they used to make a device where you'd take out a spark plug and screw in an adaptor, start the engine and the compression would fill the tire, worked quite well. now if tire was low or flat it gets hot, now think of a hot tire with the perfect air/fuel ratio under pressure= he wasnt the smartest man but he was a good friend
This will work well on the newer engines ....you disconnect the fuel injector....no gas in the tire Done it many times with my 88 Jeep, I just keep the "retaining clip" off the number 3 injector electrical connection, then "pull the wire"; will fill a 32 inch tire from flat in 2/3 min.

I would never attempt this with carbureted engine as you will defiantly get a possibly explosive combination in the tire, might work “to get you home” but you would want to get that crap out of your tire ASAP

Just my $.02
Old 12-13-2009, 01:30 PM
sayter liften's Avatar
sayter liften sayter liften is offline
Recent Blog:
Hiker
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: PAHRUMP NV
Age: 51
Posts: 633
Thanks: 416
Thanked 329 Times in 192 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmbrwolf View Post
This will work well on the newer engines ....you disconnect the fuel injector....no gas in the tire Done it many times with my 88 Jeep, I just keep the "retaining clip" off the number 3 injector electrical connection, then "pull the wire"; will fill a 32 inch tire from flat in 2/3 min.

I would never attempt this with carbureted engine as you will defiantly get a possibly explosive combination in the tire, might work “to get you home” but you would want to get that crap out of your tire ASAP

Just my $.02
what about throttle body injection systems?
Old 12-13-2009, 02:27 PM
tmbrwolf tmbrwolf is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Central PA
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I would say same as a carb...No way to turn off fuel and keep the engine running
Old 12-14-2009, 02:46 PM
sailinghudson25's Avatar
sailinghudson25 sailinghudson25 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 4,885
Thanks: 645
Thanked 2,808 Times in 1,753 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmbrwolf View Post
I would say same as a carb...No way to turn off fuel and keep the engine running
You can unlpug an injector on a fuel injected engine. On an old diesel, unbolt the fuel line and have it dump via hose into a jug. On a new diesel engine, unplug the wire to the injector.

for you folks who have a non-working A/C system on their vehicles, it can easily be converted to a roughly 1hp air compressor. Got one that ride on it's own jockey belt from the alternator. I put the belt on when I need it. I takes me roughly 15 minutes to inflate all my tire from 16 psi upto 32 psi. 32x12.5x15's.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:47 PM
Lythropus Lythropus is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Someone in my town at a service station left an air pump on on a tractor tire, it blew throwing the rim into the owner of the tire killing him instantly. Shop is still open...

This is what a nitrous bottle does when left in a garage in a car on a hot summer day. It's alot more pressure but the volume is alot more on the tire...I'm guessing he left a heater on because my bottle has never hit more than 1100psi in 100 degree heat...
http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=143862
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Kevin Felts 2006 - 2012,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net