Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 11-30-2009, 07:55 PM

Default Homemade Dehydrated Vegetable Soup

Advertise Here

Some of you may have seen my thread on tomato roll ups.
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=83079

Well I decided to do a mini-shtf trial run to test the outcome of some of my food preps

Started with one to two cups of boiling water

Added one of my prepared tomato roll ups. I store them in vacuum bags wrapped in parchment paper

Added a 1/2 cup of dehydrated mixed vegetables (should have added a cup). Tip - Buy frozen vegetables. They are already blanched and can be put directly on the dehydrating trays.

Reduced to a simmer and cook 20-30 minutes

Finished product. Warm vegetable soup in homemade Georgia pottery on cool November night. I can see where this would be a comfort food after shtf. Might consider adding a beef or chicken bouillon to add more flavor. Meat could also be added to give the soup more substance.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Georgiarebel For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2009, 09:16 PM

So, how did it turn out? Tasty or just palatable?
Old 12-01-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishima View Post
So, how did it turn out? Tasty or just palatable?
Very filling, but a little bland. Think the bouillon and some other spices would've put the finishing touches on it.

Would be very much appreciated if needed. Don't want to have to stand in a Katrina line one day.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:10 PM

You know, this recipe alone has made me want to go out and buy a dehydrator. Just the idea of throwing some stuff in water and getting a meal is appealing, not just for survival situations, but for day to day. It's just too easy to resort to pre-packaged foods that really aren't good for you.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicguy View Post
You know, this recipe alone has made me want to go out and buy a dehydrator. Just the idea of throwing some stuff in water and getting a meal is appealing, not just for survival situations, but for day to day. It's just too easy to resort to pre-packaged foods that really aren't good for you.
+1 - If you get one go ahead and invest in quality one like an excalibur. Mine is stainless steel version called The Sausage Maker, and it really gets down to business. I can dehydrate in half the time compared to other dehydraters.

I like the transportability of dehydrated foods. Below I've package 8 tomato rolls in 2 packs. (Notice I sealed bouillon cubes as well for added flavor) I can throw these in a BOB or BOV and hardly take up any space, and they are lightweight. Each pack will provide about a weeks worth of meals. Homemade MREs if you will

I making Pumpkin Pie Bark tonight (Dried Pumkin Pie Mix - thread on that coming soon)

The Following User Says Thank You to Georgiarebel For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2009, 11:45 PM
Born to raze hell

We shredded then dried the pumpkin. That worked. We boiled some and added butter--oh my was that good. I think you'd have to watch the boiling carefully to make pie filling. I am curious if simmering a pumpkin leather would be better for filling?

I'd love to see pice of your dehydrator.

OVC
Old 12-03-2009, 02:32 AM
Ron Swanson 2016

Thanked 27,196 Times in 14,244 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Georgiarebel,

Great post. Now is the time to work out the kinks, not after something goes haywire.

I'm gunna tinker with your recipe a bit.

Here's one my wife worked out.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=63810
Old 12-03-2009, 11:16 PM

Overcomer - Here's some pictures of the dehydrator I use

SgtBooker44 - +1 on the kinks. Dealing with the stress after shtf is not the time to figure out if your prep will work or not.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:10 AM
Hiker

Default any other trays?

does this brand come with a smaller mesh? Corn and other mixed vegitables would fall through the holes? Do fruit leather sheets or silicon sheets come with or do you use something else?
Old 12-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Not new

This model dehydrator is quiet? What is the wattage required to operate it? The wattage should be on a metal label on the back.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:37 AM

Scienceteacher,
I think the company sells a model that's made just for fruits and vegetables. I just wrap my trays in Aluminum Foil and poke holes in the foil to allow better air flow

http://www.sausagemaker.com/

When making leathers I tape a ziplock bag face down on the trays. The leathers peal off easy when dry.

ConnieD,

This particular model is 800w and has a fan (which aids in drying times), so it does make some noise, but its nothing that's going to run you out of the house. My other dehydrator is a plastic model with a heating element that takes twice as long.

Last edited by Georgiarebel; 12-07-2009 at 04:46 AM..
Old 12-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Hiker

I just added my dried vegetables to the last of my leftover turkey. Turkey vegetable soup yumm.