Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 11-28-2009, 11:44 PM

Default Your Outhouse

Advertise Here

Ok, so if you've decided to live 'off the grid' one of the things your going to need is a 'john' and my questionis this. Are there any products available that can be used to breakdown the human waste to prevent it from contaminating the area around it or atracting animals?
Thanks
Craig
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blckjack For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2009, 12:25 AM
Preparing since 1972

Thanked 4,737 Times in 2,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blckjack View Post
Ok, so if you've decided to live 'off the grid' one of the things your going to need is a 'john' and my questionis this. Are there any products available that can be used to breakdown the human waste to prevent it from contaminating the area around it or atracting animals?
Thanks
Craig
I looked into one of those portable toilets years ago..I decided on another route..About 10 years ago i purchased a used modern type fiberglass outhouse from a local company that rents them out....I then bought rough sawn lumber from a mill and built an old style (1800's) outhouse outer shell around it.....I call the company a couple times a year to pump it out...........I don't have pics right now...
The Following User Says Thank You to joes For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2009, 12:29 AM
Live Clean, Fight dirty

Thanked 1,074 Times in 619 Posts

I'm am no expert but up in Michigan we use lime. I leave a 50 pound bag right on the floor and every once in a while scoop a little out of the bag when I am done and dump it in. It seems to keep the smell down also and I have never had any animal problems. As far as contamination goes I am not sure, I think if as long as you keep as far away as you can with out making it to hard on your self especially up here it gets cold in the winter you don't want have to walk to far. Any way enough about crappers, hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to trophytr669 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2009, 12:35 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,366 Times in 664 Posts

You may want to check into some small DIY septic systems using 55 gallon drums since you're mention living off the grid.

Here's a link to one I found on google.
http://www.wikihow.com/Construct-a-Small-Septic-System

I'd highly recommend picking up the book Travel-Trailer Homesteading Under $5,000. It has alot of concepts that can be applied to almost all off grid living situations.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ImbriD For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2009, 12:41 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 16,783 Times in 3,487 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

I am sure there are products people can buy. I try not to buy anything unless I absolutely have to for money is too hard to come by anymore.

I sometimes use dirt and especially wood ashes over the waste in my outhouse. Here is a pic where I burn the waste, maybe once a month, in my outhouse then I rebuild it - in pic # 12 in this pic thread which also has a very good survival retreat checklist for any who are interested > http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=84562

In that pic it may not look like an outhouse but I rebuilt it after burning the waste. The outhouse is well camoflaged and not seen unless one is less than fifty feet from it. It is not for everyone. A few neighbors with cabins have expensive septic tanks, most have port-a-potties. One guy has a $2,000+ propane outhouse but that is a lot of $ just for a S... burner!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2009, 12:46 AM
This is a great survival forum

Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand. Hot, dry in summer (clay), floody & wet in winter.
Thanked 3,586 Times in 1,796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blckjack View Post
Thanks
Craig
There will be compost starters you can throw in. That or

worms: http://www.wormdigest.org/content/view/44/2/

Last edited by bridgierapa; 11-29-2009 at 01:23 AM..
Old 11-29-2009, 02:04 AM

I use wood ash and throw in a handfull of red cedar chips now and then. I also ran a wire to it, added a heat lamp, happy lights and a radio. I can flip the switch by the back door a few minutes before I go out and it's all toasty with the morning news on.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cabinfever For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2009, 02:35 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 16,783 Times in 3,487 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Cabinfever, is that an outhouse or a Christmas tree? Just kiddin.

I might build one similar to yours but without that many lights...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2009, 02:54 AM

Hey, it's dark out there starting at 3 o'clock! Helps me find my way.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cabinfever For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2009, 03:54 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,629 Times in 1,450 Posts

if this is the wrong area for repley please move into the right area..

i was looking at ways to build a small spetic system when i put in the tank home in the ground at my new b.o.l. and i learn something from the one of the guys who did the work there.. ..it not allways the bigger units that will work for small sized home he tells me at the meeting for use to discuss the work of putting in a spetic system for the tank home ..for i was trying to meet the code for a three bedroom home in the county where i was at and he telling me it a waste of time and money trying to meet a code that someone has made up that will not work for a small home ..i ask him about the code and he told me we will be in code and it will work for the county guys who come out to do the final walk though and sign off on the work ..i passed without a problem the county heath inspector said it when specs for the house sized i was told and that was all i wanted to hear ..

since the unit is only for me and a few over night guest here and there and my long term home when i retireing here in a few years ..i going to be my full time home then .

we cheated with a simple set up like this set up for black water spetic system and it can be done with a small 55.gallon drums if need be ..i want mine to be able to pumped out useing a simple hand pump system to clean out the gunk and other things from the spetic tanks ...

useing a hand pump marine style toliet unit to pump the waste into the black water tank with a small grey water tank that use stored grey water to flush the toliet with a simple pumping of the grey water to flush the tank and step on the lever to open the tank line into the waste holding tank ..it a simple as 1-2-3- and you are done ..

then the waste is put into a 40.gallon sized holding tank ..when the tank is full and ready to be plumped as need ..the black water waste water line is turned to the open prostion and you are ready to hand pump the waste out though the marine waste grinder system that grinds up human waste into smaller pieces of waste and then pushed up to the surface spetic system by the force of a pumping action and the water inside the tank .

then after the tank is emptyed and the waste water is out of the tank ..we turn the overflow grey water tank inline value to the flush out prostion and then start pumping the water out of the grey water tank to the black water tank to flush and clean out the black water tank lines up to the spetic system .. the grey water over fill tank is design to catch the bathroom grey water tank system overfill from the small combo washer and dryer unit and shower to use the water as need ..

we use what is called a sailboat typle hand pump set up to help with the flushing out of the black water line system .. as with most of the bathroom items came over from the sailboat world to make them work in a tank home set up was just a little work then a normal unit had ..that was the bigger challenge in the planning stages of building but it worked out in the end ..

when i went to the person who bult the tank home spetic system saw the plan draw out on paper he though it was a really bad idea intill him and i talked about it and them i showed him the idea and walked him though the whole set up and then it was like a light blub went off above his head and then he showed the basic changes to the system to make it work a little better in the long run like adding a second tank and the layer of sand between each layer of rock to act as barrier to help with the draining of the waste water into the ground....

plus we used a larger 375.gallon sized spetic tank and a small 300.gallon tank to act as a dual tank set up with the small tank sits down below the other tank about 10.inchs in depth from the larger 375.gallon sized tank ..

with the drain field also we cheated on ..we use a mix of layers of rocks and sand ..with each was layed at diff hieghts in the pit ..then the pit cover by a chamber style leach feild unit then the mat to cover the unit then dirt to cover the unit then landscapeing sod grass layed down over it for grow as need in the future of the place..

the pit was a little deep than a normal pit set up ..we went 4.ft deep with the bottom of washed rocks of diff sized then a layer of sand-x-6.inchs deep-x-another layer of rocks-x-8..inchs deep then a another lay of sand intill we got to the hieght that we wanted ..then we used this model of new typle leach feild chamber set up ..the infilator model-quick-4-equalizer model-36.inch leach field chamber set up-x-30.ft long to act as the drain fields for the tank home..

i do not have to worry about the water level for my well goes down over 100.ft to get fresh water out of the ground ..so the is a lot of dirt to act as the filtering system for the waste water and the ground water supply ..also by useing a ginder system to grinder up the waste into smaller lumps the spetic chambers are able to work longer without haveing to be pumped out as much ..plus the well is about 100.ft from the spetic system lines..

the biggest problem i got at times..getting people to understand there are ways to make a small spetic system work for you with a little hard work from you and the right thinking about the set up and useing today advanced products for small lot spetic system ..

Last edited by hank2222; 11-29-2009 at 04:20 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to hank2222 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2009, 04:03 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,629 Times in 1,450 Posts

also i do not put toliet paper into the toliet ..it has own trash can for that use only and it burned as need when the can is full ..i have a small metal cut down 55.gallon drum for the use on the land ..
Old 11-29-2009, 05:24 AM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 2,966 Times in 1,684 Posts

You can dig a hole and bury a 55 gal drum cut in half. periodically you haul it up and burn it with a little diesel, preferably when it's a little windy.

I have a good outhouse at my BOL. It's 100 ft away from my cabin but it's got a decent hole, a bucket of lime and plenty of TP. I cut some good foam out in the shape of a seat and this works great to keep the cheeks from freezing in the winter.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Hunter

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Here is a good “How to”.
Humanure Compost Toilet System Instruction Manual
by Joseph Jenkins
All rights reserved. This Manual may be copied and distributed freely under the following 3 conditions: 1) the information is not changed; 2) the use is not for profit; and 3) the source of the information is credited
Download this manual as a PDF file. (44 KB)
See: http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us