Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 11-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,812 Times in 1,753 Posts
Default New 7.62x39 ammo, Herters, Tula, Ulyanovsk

Advertise Here

I noticed some new players in the 7.62x39 and .223 ammo business. Are these guys just wolf or something else with a different name on it?

I noticed another one, MSP 2000. IT is hungarian brass ammo for $10 a box. Anyone try this stuff out? I saw this stuff on the cabela's site. Kinda interesting. The fancy exotic hunt supplier now has about 1/4 of it's offerings of ammo in the black rifle variety.
The Following User Says Thank You to sailinghudson25 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,634 Times in 833 Posts

Tula is Wolf for sure. I ordered 500 rounds of it ,and WOLF is on the headstamp.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:38 PM
fallen from grace

Herters is like the Academy Monarch brand it is Russian stuff.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:43 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,812 Times in 1,753 Posts

Thanks guys. I am going to order a few boxes of the MPS 2000 and try it out. I could use a few hundred more brass cases over here.

I can outshoot hunting rifles with commerical ammo with my SKS's with irons and handloads.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:17 PM
المتخلفين قوات

Thanked 8,378 Times in 3,058 Posts

It's all russian, and none of them are "new" (except in labeling and advertisements I guess?) and all of them are "good" in my opinion. For me, and my rifles in any case. They are essentially the same as Wolf, take from that what you will, it's your firearms, your money. Some are paranoid about "dirty" ammo. If your rifle might have some reliability quirks when being fed dirty ammo, I suggest finding something else for a SHTF or EOTW situation...though my supposedly unreliable AR15 has used a steady supply of Barnual/Brown bear lacquered .223 without any hiccups...

Personally for 7.62x39 and .308 I use Brown Bear more than than anything. I actually like the sealed, and lacquered cases of Brown Bear. Just preference, performance is about the same. Wolf might actually be cleaner now without the lacquer and red sealent...it's not that big of a deal to me though.

Brown Bear is mostly made at Barnaul now, but used to be made at Klimovsk and Ulyanovsk (which ships its own now..) ... and btw, Academy Monarch is still made at Barnaul with Brown Bear.

Golden Tiger is made at Vympel or Amursk

Ulyanovsk is the name of the actual place/factory and they send their own label over now...

Never heard of MSP 2000...if it's hungarian brass it might be corrosive mil-surp like the yugoslavian stuff, but it's probably just as good as anything else...I generally don't like spraying windex down my rifle though. lol!

They are all pretty much the same, if not extremely similar. I prefer Brown Bear, but I buy whatever's cheapest when I need some...I have some of everything though...never had a problem with any of it in any caliber, through an AR15, several AKs, and a PTR91...no hiccups...so I normally doubt any horror stories warning of russian ammo.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heckler&Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2009, 01:31 AM
Space Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler&Coke View Post
...Ulyanovsk is the name of the actual place/factory and they send their own label over now...

They are all pretty much the same, if not extremely similar. I prefer Brown Bear, but I buy whatever's cheapest when I need some...I have some of everything though...never had a problem with any of it in any caliber, through an AR15, several AKs, and a PTR91...no hiccups...so I normally doubt any horror stories warning of russian ammo.

Excellent info there, Heckler&Coke!

As a side note, unfortunately the Ulyanovsk factory blew up (again) recently so we might not see as much of it now!

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/a...sk/390226.html

Let's hope the ammo itself wasn't at fault!

Sounds like it was old unstable stuff though...
The Following User Says Thank You to Quentin For This Useful Post: