Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Pistol and Revolver Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 11-23-2009, 11:37 AM
"Fly birdies! fly!"

Thanked 25,177 Times in 7,077 Posts
Default Glock 26 vs. Glock 27 for CCW

Advertise Here

I've been trying to decide between the Glock 26 and 27 for CCW. Here are my current thoughts:

Glock 26 9mm

- Smaller round then .40 so less "stopping power" <-- ammo choice may negate this
- Less recoil which could help in shot placement, and if I every have to actually use it, I really want my shots to go EXACTLY where I want them to.
- Modern HP ammo seems to be able to make up for the smaller round
- One extra round in the mag (10)
- Less recoil makes it easier to handle with the tiny grip
- I would also get a Glock 19 for compatibility and possible 2-gun ccw
- I would have to add the 9mm into my list of stocked ammo
- Would be a great gun for "added" members in a SHTF scenario because of the low recoil, I would get a G19 mag with grip sleeve for just such occasion.
- any one who says it's a sissy caliber can volunteer for target practice if they think they can brush one off

Glock 27 .40s&w

- Bigger round, more stopping power
- "snappy" with the small grip, may mean larger groups
- matches my Glock 22 for compatibility
- one less round in the mag (9)
- I could buy this one and get a conversion barrel down to 9mm but I believe a ccw should be 100% reliable which means shooting what it was designed to
- I would also get a Glock 23 for compatibility and possible 2-gun ccw

So there it is. I have a couple of months to think about it before my CCW permit arrives and I would appreciate thoughts. Comments from people who shoot and cc both would be greatly appreciated.

I'm considering ONLY THESE TWO GUNS.

Thanks!

Last edited by Grevlin; 11-23-2009 at 01:14 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Grevlin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Never Give up

Thanked 12,582 Times in 4,072 Posts
Default Either or its your choice

Begest thing is that your safe with it and can hit what you need to. I think whats more important then the choice between them is your choices as to carry it. I have a few holsters and differnt guns that I carry depending what Im wearing. The trick is you have to make sure its always hidden or it does no good.** Ohh and dont tell people it will only lead to problems. You cant beleive how a stupid friend can make a problem worst by saying something stupid.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rascals For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,296 Times in 2,505 Posts

The easier ability to make hits makes the 9mm the easy answer.

You're more likely to practice because it hurts and costs less.

The difference in the two chamberings, really is minimal despite most of the clap-trap spouted on the disinformation cowpath.

The ability to use the Glock 17 and 19 magazines as the reloads or backup mags is a very important point, however the same can be said for the 27 and using the 22 and 23 magazines.

Go with the 9mm, with todays ammo, it gives up nothing to any other choice.
Plus it's easier on the weapon and you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to whirlibird For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2009, 12:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,209 Times in 716 Posts

G27! Then get the conversion bbls for .357 Sig and 9mm for $100 each from www.lonewolf.com .

then get the G26 for a backup.

Personally I use a G21 for primary and my G22 for backup with a left handed holster tucked in the back of my pants.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Doubts Most Everything

Thanked 2,945 Times in 1,620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grevlin View Post
I've been trying to decide between the Glock 26 and 27 for CCW. Here are my current thoughts:

Glock 26 9mm

- ... I would get a G19 mag with grip sleeve for just such occasion.
Might I humbly suggest you compare XD 9mm Sub Compact?

- Same size gun, both are within 1/4" horiz/vert dimensions, same thickness.
- XD has 13 rounds in the flush mag as opposed to the G 26's 10, comes with 16 rounder extended mag, also with grip sleeve.
Can get XD service model as additional gun.
The 16 round mags fit both the service model and the subbie, just keep one short mag for carry with the subbie, lay in several longer mags to fit each.

- OS
The Following User Says Thank You to Oh Shoot For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2009, 03:42 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,690 Posts

Quote:

Glock 26 9mm

- Smaller round then .40 so less "stopping power" <-- ammo choice may negate this
- Less recoil which could help in shot placement, and if I every have to actually use it, I really want my shots to go EXACTLY where I want them to.
- Would be a great gun for "added" members in a SHTF scenario because of the low recoil, I would get a G19 mag with grip sleeve for just such occasion.
- any one who says it's a sissy caliber can volunteer for target practice if they think they can brush one off

Glock 27 .40s&w

- I could buy this one and get a conversion barrel down to 9mm but I believe a ccw should be 100% reliable which means shooting what it was designed to

So there it is. I have a couple of months to think about it before my CCW permit arrives and I would appreciate thoughts. Comments from people who shoot and cc both would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
You have every point I can think of addressed in there except for considering what your local LEO's carry. Glock 22's are so common in LE now, it's hard to argue against having one. And if you have one, it makes good sense for a 27. See if Glock 40's are used by local or state LEO's in your area. That will make ammo a bit more available... I get at least 200 JHP rounds a year off the floor at our range from LEO's practicing malfunction drills.

If you can handle the snap of the G27, go for it. I have known a fair number of people who sold their G27's to get G26's and Kahr PM9's. They just didn't like the snap and felt the 9mm had just as much to offer, along with reduced ammo costs and availablility.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AKpredator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2009, 08:27 PM
WINNING...humbly

Thanked 3,586 Times in 1,579 Posts

When I shot Glock 27 I am done after one 50 round box. My hand shakes uncontrollably and that's why I shoot it at the end of the practice. With Glock 26 I have yet to reach that limit.

I am not saying that one is worse or better then the other. In fact, I believe that both are great CCW pistols and premium and fast moving 9mm and 40 S&W are pretty much equal in "stopping power". All I am saying is that practice with Glock 27 will probably be shorter and not as pleasant.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flex For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2009, 09:33 PM
Today's Survival Show

Stopping power is overstated regarding handguns. With respect to long guns, all handguns suck. So get the one that you can hit easier with. For most, it's the 9mm (G26.) I carry Corbon DPX ammo. IMHO it's the best in 9mm and will definitely make the bad guy have a bad day and probably leave me alone.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a G27 and getting a 9mm conversion barrel for practice, then carry the .40 (Corbon DPX) but that round just recoils too much for me. The difference between .40 and 9mm is negligible. Some may disagree, but if you really want to put them down, get a rifle or shotgun.

The G26 would get my vote, more capacity, no aftermarket parts needed, except sights. Shoot them at a rental range first, see which is best. You won't be undergunned (as far as handguns go) with either.
The Following User Says Thank You to TodaysSurvival For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2009, 08:01 PM
Hangin in There

If recoil is an issue, they do make compensated versions. Get the .40, they make a G27 C. As long as you have a holster the slide won't catch on anything. I came close of trading in my glock but I opt for an after market barrel with a compensator that sticks out a half inch on my G22. It works pretty well and I can stay on target without adjusting much. If I get another glock it will be a C model. I can imagine it would probably feel like nothing shooting a G26 C.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulAllen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2009, 08:13 PM
"Fly birdies! fly!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulAllen View Post
If recoil is an issue, they do make compensated versions. Get the .40, they make a G27 C. As long as you have a holster the slide won't catch on anything. I came close of trading in my glock but I opt for an after market barrel with a compensator that sticks out a half inch on my G22. It works pretty well and I can stay on target without adjusting much. If I get another glock it will be a C model. I can imagine it would probably feel like nothing shooting a G26 C.
I wonder if the 1/2 inch or so of extended barrel would effect concealment... ?

I may have to look into it further.

Caliber consolidation and mag compatibility is a strong advantage.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:21 PM
Recent Blog:
Wanderer

Thanked 2,619 Times in 1,374 Posts

I've worn concealed the G-17, G-22 and G-27 on duty. The difference you're discussing is mostly a calibre difference rather than the gun itself between the G-26 and G-27.
Having shot, and like, both, I'd say get which ever one you feel most comfortable shooting. If you can shoot the .40 with confidence, go for it. I don't notice any difference between the .40 and the 9mm. But, if not, then go with the 9mm.
The Following User Says Thank You to EdD270 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2012, 07:00 PM

I have the Glock 26 and love it, and have often thought of going to the Glock 27. This discussion has convinced me to stay with the G26... Thank you.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:18 PM

27 yeah it sucks to shoot at first but with a mag ext not that bad Imho the 40 is the with to vs 9mm .
Old 03-04-2012, 07:49 PM
Hunter

When given the option of a 40 and you can get a 357 or 9mm barrel always go with the 40.

Options never hurt...

Take it from a 9c owner who wishes he'd invested in a 40c instead.

My boss has a G27 and a 9mm barrel, he's shot it many many more times in 9 but he always shoots the 40 before leaving the range and carries the 40 barrel.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Crazy

Thanked 2,989 Times in 1,131 Posts

9mm 160$ for 1000rds, At that price you can practice
allot and get really good with that smaller round.
The Following User Says Thank You to John_Auberry For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Doubts Most Everything

Thanked 2,945 Times in 1,620 Posts

Since the thread is two and half years old, it's likely the OP has already made a decision.

- OS
Old 03-05-2012, 07:44 AM
Wilddieb

Thanked 1,741 Times in 921 Posts

Quote:

Glock 26 9mm

Glock 27 .40s&w

Thanks!
I had a G26 (Gen 3) and sold it. Now I have a G27 (again Gen 3, which I ordered that way, because I don't like Gen4). It is my EDC pistol, has fixed steel sights (standard Glock) and I am happy with it. It has slightly more power than a 9mm, and yes: it is snappy. You have to train with it.

I would choose the .40 again, because it is more powerful, and the options for quality .40 ammo is also quite good. I like the subcompact Glocks, because you can carry them many ways, without hurting yourself (IWB, appendix, ankle, pocket etc.).
Old 03-05-2012, 07:45 AM
Wilddieb

Thanked 1,741 Times in 921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Shoot View Post
Since the thread is two and half years old, it's likely the OP has already made a decision.

- OS
The question might come up again so what's wrong with sharing opinions in an existing thread?
Old 03-05-2012, 07:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,187 Times in 1,298 Posts

Well, even though it's over 2 years old, the OP laid out a pretty logical plan to decide between the two. Hopefully he pops up with what he ended up with. If he's using the Glock 22 as his duty weapon, the G27 (and G23) only make sense.

I have a Glock 26, but started out with G19, so it was more of a logistics decision for me (of course I ended up with a G23 as well :D).

I don't buy the recoil thing. I'm not saying that the .40 S&W won't be snappier than a 9mm in a similar sized gun, but that's more of a training issue than anything else. I only say this because when I went through my CHL course in TX, one of our unit's captains showed up and took the course with her brand new (not even fired with before) Glock 27. I don't think she weight quite 100 pounds and was very petite. She got a quick class of instruction and smoked the qualification course and was quite accurate to boot.

ROCK6
Old 03-05-2012, 08:09 AM
"Fly birdies! fly!"

lol

Oldie but goodie

I actually went with the G26. After a year and a half or so I changed to a G19.

Just recently I changed to a G30sf

Attached Thumbnails
G30 close.jpg