Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 11-22-2009, 08:11 AM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 32,617 Times in 6,801 Posts
Thumbs up Different ways to use Survival Ebooks

Advertise Here

Ebooks are computer files, or some other type of electronic format. We have a merchant here on the forum that sales ebooks on CD - survival Ebooks. That way you have the files in a portable format.

"What" you can do with these Ebooks? Lets talk about that for a minute.

Lets say that your going on a hiking trip, you can find the pages on navigation, print them out and put those pages in with your TOPO maps. If you need a reminder on navigation, you have a cheat sheet on hand. So instead of carrying the full sized survival manual with you, you can just bring some single pages.

Another thing - if you have a good printer, you can print out some of the pages and put them into a binder. That way you have a physical backup of important information. And you do not have to rely on a computer if you have a printed copy.

Ebooks are a lot cheaper then full sized survival manuals. Yea printed books are nice, but ebooks are more flexible. If you want a hard copy of one page out of a book, you have to have a scanner. With an ebook all you need is a printer.

If you have a question about the forum, please post it in this section.
General questions sent through private messages will be ignored.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2009, 08:51 AM
workin on it

Thanked 1,137 Times in 463 Posts

Kev,

Have not considered the E book approach. Looked at the listings, very comprehensive. It would take some time to whittle the essentials down to make hard copies. But, this is what I spend a lot of spare time doing, preparing and planning.

Will have Santa order soon.

Gre
Old 11-22-2009, 10:48 PM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 6,988 Times in 3,332 Posts

I'm waiting for the price on a solar powered ebook reader to come down...
Old 02-19-2011, 02:08 PM

Business Ebooks
Yes this tool is very nice
But i like this one also
Link Spy / Link Replicator
Old 02-19-2011, 04:06 PM

Thanked 4,058 Times in 123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
I'm waiting for the price on a solar powered ebook reader to come down...
What is the point of that. My ebook reader uses so little power that I could probably use the USB charging port on my emergency radio to charge it up rather quickly. One full charge lasts me a couple thousand pages worth of reading.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:32 PM
To the surface!

Thanked 6,956 Times in 2,930 Posts

Okay, having a book in a very portable format is good, but here is a question that will make a difference in how you use the books: I see these are in PDF format - are these scanned photocopies, or is there actually text that you can search?

If all the PDFs are is scanned photocopies (i.e., basically a photo of the page), which is most likely the case, and not text (along with illustrations/photos in the text), then you will have some problems:

1) You can't search the book for some particular word or phrase. That means if you have a medical book, and want to find a page on how to treat a sucking chest wound, and that isn't in the index or contents, then you are going to have to quickly scan through the whole book to find what you need.

2) Scanned pages stored as photocopies will take up a lot more memory space than the text would. It will also load slower, especially on a small handheld device. This isn't that big of an issue on a computer, but on a PDA or smartphone it is an issue.

3) When you zoom in to read text or look at an illustration, you will be limited by the stored resolution of the scan. To save space, time and computer power, a lot of people who scan these books don't use the highest resolution they can. Also, if they are scanning from a book that is still bound, then you get distortions. Essentially you have to at least unbind the pages from the book to lay them flat to get a good scan. If your scanner doesn't have enough resolution or contrast you can get a poor scan. When you go to compress the scan you lose resolution.

Personally, I really doubt that someone took the time to go through, scan the pages, use a high quality OCR app, then proofread and layout the results for all of these books - to get a *REAL* e-book. I doubt even more that they had the original document files that produced the books, which would be optimal, and what most e-books are produced from.

But I would be really happy if someone proved me wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Heretic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2011, 07:48 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,337 Times in 843 Posts

I am a pretty big fan of E-books in general...
Up side very compact.
Downside need a reader or computer to access them (a big downside for fans of terminal societal disintegration), paper is much more enjoyable to read.

Since running out of shelf space (roughly 1200 volumes) I started accumulating e-books I now have more than 60 gigs of literature some survival but mostly literary works. I use a dedicated library machine, that is isolated from the internet, to store them and transfer items to those hard drives via a a thumbnail drive after sweeping the files for virii/malware.
Every month I back the library computer up on a 2 terabyte portable hard drive. I keep copies of the volumes that I would miss the most on DVD.

(edit) Not all PDFs are scanned copies most are at least partially run through a word processing program, many are generated entirely with a word processor. I have never had the need to search for a word or phrase but I am certain that a way exists if the need is great enough; i.e run the scanned text through word recognition software, correct the mistakes with a word processing program, manually edit for errors then search the text. Although using the table of contents and/or index would appear to be easier.
I have e-books in many formats ranging from .txt files through .lit files and some .doc and even wepage files it is relatively easy to convert between most formats even mobi pocket and palm files.

Enjoy!
Old 02-20-2011, 12:10 PM
To the surface!

Thanked 6,956 Times in 2,930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Joe View Post
(edit) Not all PDFs are scanned copies most are at least partially run through a word processing program, many are generated entirely with a word processor. I have never had the need to search for a word or phrase but I am certain that a way exists if the need is great enough; i.e run the scanned text through word recognition software, correct the mistakes with a word processing program, manually edit for errors then search the text. Although using the table of contents and/or index would appear to be easier.
I have e-books in many formats ranging from .txt files through .lit files and some .doc and even wepage files it is relatively easy to convert between most formats even mobi pocket and palm files.

Enjoy!
Oh indeed. I worked four+ years writing software for the printing industry that manipulated PDF and Postscript files for publishing houses - mostly layout, but I am very familiar with PDF right down to the data format.

So yes, most PDFs you get from the original publisher contain text data instead of just scanned images of the pages.

That said, these 'survival' e-books look to be something that were scanned from a published book - from the actual paper - not something that was a file from the original authors/publishers. So with regards to these particular books, that is my caution/comment; that there are significant downsides to how these books were probably created with regards to their end use. A simple scanned page resulting in just an image of the page is the least desirable format.

As for searching any publication. I do this all the time. Unless the publication is an article or story, I rarely read it from beginning to end, and even if I did, for anything technical, whether it is about emergency medicine or how to repair a car, I am going to want to go right to the info I need instead of having to scan pages manually to find it - that is one of the huge advantages of using a computer to read any publication; you waste a lot less time getting the info you need and you usually don't miss other related info.

There is a lot more to publishing e-books than just slapping together the content.