Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 11-21-2009, 05:41 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 16,781 Times in 3,487 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2
Default Mtn Wilderness Survival Retreat Experiences with 60 + pics

Advertise Here

This is a thread that could be posted in the Survival & Preparedness General discussion section but it is possibly even more on topic in this wilderness-camping forum.

I was going to make this about all kinds of survival retreats from the most expensive and fanciest to the least expensive which would be a cheap tent and even a homeless person's cardboard box. People can call a survival retreat a BOL and it can be part of a person's farm, ranch or homestead which it would then be a bug in location. We can discuss that in this thread if any want to.

But I am mainly just going to post some brand New pics of what I have done on my mtn survival retreat from mid June to Nov. 1st.

If anyone else wants to post pics of their retreat, farm, homestead etc. that is fine also.

I could go into great detail about each pic but hopefully the title - caption on each thumbnail pic is enough. If anyone has any questions or comments about anything on this thread please post. Btw, I am not bragging about anything I do or have built. Just sharing some experiences which some have said they like to hear about and see pics.

These pics are in chronological order, for the most part, beginning in mid June 2009, when I got back up to my mtn place to about Nov. 1st when I left. Some of them zoom in for close-ups. In several posts there should be more than 60 pics total.

The good thing about thumbnails is people don't Have to enlarge all the pics but just read the captions. But never know what one is missing if you don't enlarge them. Such as a couple very interesting pics. Discussion about some of these, especially one that must be an optical illusion, later.

After the pic posts I will include a survival retreat checklist which will help If any want to check it...

And now exclusive only to the survivalistboards are brand new pics of my remote Wyoming mtn survival retreat >
Attached Thumbnails
#1 - My private road mid June 2009 and my loaded Ford truck.jpg   2 - My driveway with 3 feet of melting snowpack before I shoveled.jpg   3 - Ford truck with plywood box filled with food etc. etc. at beginning of driveway My spring at.jpg   4 - After digging for 4 hours got the truck to top of my driveway.jpg   5 - Damage from heavy snow over the winter - less than usual.  July 1, 2009.jpg   6 - Why I cannot do too much except shovel, until most of the snow melts.  July 1, 2009.jpg  

7 - Mid June 2009 - First task was to put up my dome tent with tarps over the top.  Plywood floo.jpg   8 - 2nd priority to fill 6 gallon container from the spring near border of my land & nat'l fores.jpg   9 - Then inside my shower - water tent.   Big berkey water filter, 6 gallon jug, drinking water .jpg   10 - Next set up Solar panel at top, beginning of hole to make new cabin at mid right and logs t.jpg   11 - Solar panels top Pic taken mid Oct. '09 - black camoflaged ones on right side.   Bottom is .jpg   12 - Burning waste out of outhouse - rebuilt it later.   Notice upper right corner oo   Optical .jpg  

12.1 - Optical illusion of ET - Hopefully - from previous burning waste pic - I did Not create t.jpg   13 - One out of 5 woodpiles.  A-frame shed left, parked truck right - Beware of Bear sign to the.jpg   14 - My Ford truck & large woodpile that came from on and near my land - behind Bighorn Lodge - .jpg   15 - Front of large camo woodshed 20 feet downhill  below my bunker..jpg   16 - Side view of woodshed 7 live trees  Mid left of pic is a spruce tree that is alive inside s.jpg   17 - 30 foot long spring covered in wildflowers edge of my land private road at the bottom.jpg  

18 - My neighbor Randy setting up his water collection.  His and his 2 brothers cabin is one mil.jpg   19 - Neighbor Randy filling his 300 gallon water storage container with his black lab.   He is a.jpg   20 - 200 gallon water storage & 2 hoses gravity filled.jpg   21 - Snowdrift left, rushing spring bottom & in front of bunker at the top - Chipmunk white wate.jpg   23 - Waterfalls middle of my mtn place.  Early July 2009.jpg   24 - Private dirt road, waterfalls & my mtn retreat - land to the right - early July.jpg  

Last edited by Mtnman Mike; 11-21-2009 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: adding pics
The Following 337 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
18alfa, 2low8, 3bears, 45survive, 601reconteam, 73scamp, AaronZz, abe.22, aberrant, Abominable Toaster, ActionJackson, afcolt, ajk1941, AJSiqueira, Akita, Ammo, anchorbanger, AngelsDad, Antero, apocalypsenow, apso1857, arleigh, armedpilgrim, aspireonescs, Aussie Mike, awildchipmunk, Ayleeann, azb, AZman, backup1911, badmuther, Bama485, Bavarian Raven, bay95567, beacharg, Bensonrew, BigDenzil, Bighead, Biltong, Bisquitlips, Black Dahlia, Blackthorn, Blister, bobzilla, Bond007, BradleyB, bravo1983, Brimasmom, britzen, bstoffers, calidreamer, callmeoldfashN, Captain Jack, Caseyboy, catfish, CAWB, chamberlain125, chaosofcreation, ChristyACB, cjknight2, cliffc, countrygirl39759, Crusis, dac, Daganga, danoomuller, darkofnight, darkskies25, davethewildman, david48, Davidow, dayid, Defcon, DesertDave, Detman101, dgr, DIMSOT, dirtyape, Distorted Humor, dogmaw, dolmen, Doog, Dragon06, Duff, Duncan, Earthorca, EB.Esq, EdD270, electro916, elkhound, elZ, endl3ss, eskewei, exetermedic101, exmarinerider, Explorer, FarmerChad, Fishbread, Fishrarr, fistfull of hurt, Flanker, forestdavegump, Foulball, FrightenedWolfe, Gallo Pazzesco, Gem of a Jenn, glockster, goatscapeable, Goosed, grandma, grant9908, greasetrap, grizly1, grizz, gsxrac, Gullars, HarvestTime, harveydent, hawkbern, HelioLost, Hells Toy Master, HighMtnElk, HSPrincipal, Hummer, IdahoGard'ner, Il Pazzo, INCH PACKER, innayat, Ipoopinthewoods, irishhill-2010, isuzu1992, jcb_chuck, jdode, jimbohollar, jksw, Joboo, jodier7, joes, jstlrkng, junglecrawler, justallan1, Justsaymo, kain9662002, kam, Kats, Kay, kemaeli, kenny256, kingjames, knifethrower, krealitygroup, Lark, laylow, lhd, lildrestl3, Limping Crow, Litsgt, LostCoyote, lostinthemix, lyn, lynxx, Maine Russian, MangledMind, marinemom, Matt ATX, mesha, mike1967, mil spec, MK-9, MMgoose, MonsterMash, Montanajohn, Mosdaze, mossbrg590, Mr., MRBIG85, mr_nice_guy228, ms,hillbilly, MSTA57, muddog15, mudman, muffin_n, N5TDA, nadja, Nemesis77, neovenus, Nick York, nk14zp, nobama12, Nomad-max, Noven, Nutjob Transplant, ocguy949, OhioMan, okcmco, OKGlocker, Old Spook, OLDWarrior64, onehikes, orbean, overlordsshadow, packitnow, Page29, PanicFire, PaulTGarrett, pearlselby, pendragon, PFWAG, PHogan86, PIGEON, Pixelguy, pixelphotographer, Pleadguitar, Post18guy, ppaw27, Primalpriest, Principal, psychosapper, Psyclops, Qualicum, rabiddog9, race88, Rat Eater, raverous, RealCoolDude, reddots, RedWoods, reeltitanium, REM, Renegade89, RiggerBoot, RJ911311, roach2654, rob68, RobinSuburbia, rubeixcube, salty, Sam43, Sapper6, sarababy99, Sargent, saygon1, sayter liften, SCALPHUNTER, selco, severs28, SgtBooker44, sgtender, shawn, sherrieallen, silentsapper47, Silverbullet, SiriusJones, skiwithnoskis, Skyking, Slade McCuiston, Slamfire11, slavings98, Slowrid-Der, smithw6079, SmokeyC, sniperfx, snipermedic, snoblind, Snow Walker, SoCalSurvivor, Speth, squeak, SSGNasty, Steve28, stonemark, strongbow1075, Sumatra, SurvivalBros.com, surviver94, suzys, swwjeff, tackleberry2000, tackleberry444, tadgreen_2, Tarik, tasman, Taxes and Tombstones, TDAWG, temu, Texas Patriot, thefemalesurvivalist, thelast, ThesoundGi, TheUndert0ker, ThreeOhEight, Thundarr, Thunder 9, thunderbuntu, TimeTraveler766, timgago, tmootu, tn-dave, tnrick55, tnwoman, Tony From Da Bronx, tonyclark, Tracey, Tradecraft, treecracker, trophytr669, TRX450, Tucapau58, TXodus, TXplowgirl, USMC SNIPER, vicdotcom, vja4Him, VNTim, Vx777, wanderer714, War Horse, Watch Ryder, weldnfab, Westfalia, Wheelgunner, Whitemore, whitewater4x4, wildmen, Wildrose, WISasquatch, wonderer, WonderMonkey, Woody951, wvmountaineer, wyopride, XS29L, Yorkshire Boy, zemio, zeroed4x, zig, ZX9RCAM
Old 11-21-2009, 07:34 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Thanks for any comments or questions everyone. More and possibly the last of the pics in post #4 in case some want to see all the pics. Especially the last pic which is the only pic that was not taken by me and it is not me in case some might think I was misleading anyone.

This post is showing many dead trees that I would like to thin out but I am getting the dead pine trees on my land cut down first and used for future building this past summer and next summer as well as cutting a lot of dead trees for neighbors.

This post also shows the bear ( sorry it is not a better and clearer pic, maybe next year I will have a better camera) also showing more of my underground shelter/bunker which is the only building that the pesky Bear did not get into.

If some have possibly not seen my other long thread with many pics, which helps explain what this pic thread is showing, then please go here > http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=52880
Attached Thumbnails
26 - Sign in front of my truck to welcome possible visitors - July 2009.jpg   27 - Many dead trees need thinning in the national forest 400  + feet above my land..jpg   28 - National forest 400 feet above my land some dead trees.jpg   31 - Cinnamon brown Black Bear going up to the bunker that is far to the left. -.jpg   32 - Bear - middle of pic - going up to the bunker that is far to the left..JPG   33 - Bear damage to one of my sheds - crushed trash can front, tooth holes in cans etc.....jpg  

34 - Bear damage at the entrance to shed in front of front door to bunker.jpg   34.2 Bags of hard concrete I can use to barricade the door & more bear damage at bottom.jpg   35 - Bunker front black steel door - mtn bike & shed left.jpg   35.2 front  black steel door of bunker.jpg   36 - Break into this bunker - Bear!!                     2 locks  2 chains 1 heavy steel door.jpg   37 - Break this down Bear!!    Heavy steel bar barricading the inside of black steel door of bun.jpg  

38 - Black 55 gallon steel drum packed with food - beans, wheat etc.   No damage from anything s.jpg   39 - looking up inside front door & at brown cover of port hole & large padlock.jpg   40 - looking-down into bunker and at brown cover of port hole.jpg   40.2 - Inside bunker, 4 ft long porthole to look - shoot  out of to road & mask from fir bark..jpg   41 - 3 layers of logs in roof of my bunker with skis that the Pika has filled spaces with plants.jpg   41.2 Below 3 layers of logs - tools on wall - Copy.jpg  

41.3 - Roof of bunker showing layers of plastic, dirt & sod on top.jpg   41.4 - Roof mostly done - pic taken July 2005 - Rock wall, sod on top - dead tree - stovepipe - .jpg   42 - Mike's garden - 1 inch of snow mid August '09 Spinach to seed, broccoli etc..jpg   43 - My container garden before the Bear ate it all in October - Pic taken early Sept. 2009.jpg   43.1 - Garden mid Sept 2009 & bear damage.  Broccoli stripped, radishes also, spinach mostly ok..JPG   44 - My garden mid Sept 2009 & bear damage.   No use to organize or keep neat with the Bear arou.jpg  

Last edited by Mtnman Mike; 11-22-2009 at 03:18 AM.. Reason: adding pics
The Following 130 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
45survive, ABCanuck, ActionJackson, ajk1941, AngelsDad, apocalypsenow, arleigh, aspireonescs, Athanasius, AZman, Bensonrew, BigDenzil, BillM, Biltong, Blackthorn, blckjack, Blister, BobBothan, Brimasmom, britzen, bstoffers, callmeoldfashN, CAWB, chamberlain125, ComputerGuy, Distorted Humor, doczeus, dogmaw, dolmen, Duncan, EdD270, electro916, elkhound, elZ, endl3ss, eskewei, exetermedic101, exmarinerider, Fishbread, Fishrarr, Flanker, FrightenedWolfe, Gallo Pazzesco, Gem of a Jenn, goatscapeable, grandma, grant9908, gsxrac, Gullars, hawkbern, HelioLost, HSPrincipal, IdahoGard'ner, INCH PACKER, jdode, jksw, joes, jstlrkng, junglecrawler, Justsaymo, knifethrower, Kroenen117, laylow, lhd, litework, lyn, lynxx, marinemom, mike1967, MK-9, mossbrg590, mr_nice_guy228, MSTA57, muddog15, mudman, muffin_n, Nemesis77, neovenus, Nick York, nk14zp, Nomad-max, OhioMan, OKGlocker, PapaGrande, PaulTGarrett, pearlselby, PFWAG, Post18guy, Principal, Rat Eater, RealCoolDude, RedWoods, REM, Renegade89, roach2654, rubeixcube, salty, sammyscout, Sargent, sayter liften, SCALPHUNTER, severs28, slavings98, squeak, SSGNasty, Steve28, stonemark, swwjeff, tackleberry444, temu, thefemalesurvivalist, Thunder 9, TimeTraveler766, tnwoman, Tony From Da Bronx, trophytr669, Tucapau58, TXodus, TXplowgirl, vja4Him, Watch Ryder, Westfalia, whitewater4x4, Wildrose, WISasquatch, WonderMonkey, wvmountaineer, XS29L, Yorkshire Boy, ZX9RCAM
Old 11-21-2009, 08:42 AM
Potential Roux-Ga-Roux

Thanked 1,062 Times in 597 Posts

I enjoyed looking at these pictures, MMMike. I can't believe you still had snow in June! It is inspiring to look at these pictures and grasp the concept that we have within us the ability to adapt, live and thrive in a primitive environment. For me, this brings hope.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Lark For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2009, 09:32 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

This should be the last post with my mostly new pics. I might post a few more pics but in this thread I will gladly answer any questions and even tell some experiences If anyone is interested.

I could say a lot about these pics also and might later. The captions on the pics should tell quite a bit though.

It was a day after the blizzard when I felt the back of my large Ford F-250 go down. I thought it Must be the Bear. He must weigh maybe 400 pounds. It was just starting to get dark and I grabbed my camera. The window was fogged up mainly outside. I tried to wipe it off and then I took the pic of the bear with his head about two feet from my back window. The camera did get a fairly good pic of his claw though.

I had been sleeping in my large pickup truck and just as well for the no good bear tore up a couple of my tents. Not my sleeping tent for it has a strong wire fence around it as seen in a pic in post #1. Although around the end of October just before I left to go back to the city, the bear got into my sleeping tent a little as well. I could have shot the bear but it was quite beautiful with its brown fur coat. A cinnamon brown Black bear - which is the first one I had seen.
I had seen a pure Black bear a couple years ago which he did not do much damage. This brown Black bear must have been raised around a camp ground for he knew what canned food was and he bit into all the canned food he could find. He had taken a partially frozen turkey at a neighbor's cabin a week or so earlier out of an ice chest.

If that bear does come around anymore, such as next year after his hibernation then some neighbors said they will call to have it moved by the "authorities" unless someone not as kind as I might shoot it first...

Also the Only pic that is Not of my mtn place and does not have anything to do with me actually, is the very last pic. I Had to add that humorous pic to show that bears are not all bad.

The bear who raided my mtn place as shown in the above pics, better be careful next year, after his hibernation. Bears have been shot for doing a lot less than he did to my place. He also tore the screens off a seventy + year old guy"s ( Alfred ) cabin about a mile from my mtn retreat. The day before I went back to the city I hiked up about a thousand feet into the national forest, following the bear's tracks in the snow. I found his den as shown in one of the pics above. I could say much more, probably later....
Attached Thumbnails
45 - Snow early Oct.  bear ate the broccoli etc. etc..jpg   46 - Bear tracks in the snow.JPG   47 - Empty anti-freeze jug & bear tracks.jpg   48 - Empty anti-freeze container with bear tooth holes - upper right side of container..JPG   49 - The Bear tore up this large log that was laying on the ground - Many termites etc. inside..jpg   50 - Looking out back pickup truck window - steamed up window - notice bottom of pic.jpg  

51 - Close-up of bear paw - looking out back window of my truck at night.JPG   52 - After first big snow storm - I slept and stayed inside this truck for five days - Much more.jpg   53 - Black - cinnamon brown - bear den covered in a foot of snow.   Bear tracks all around this .jpg   54 - Little tree with its head in a snowdrift but it bounces back to grow & fulfill its purpose .jpg   54.2 - Al outside abandoned cabin near my bunker... 1-15-09.jpg   54.3 - Snow cave I made -  edge of my land 4-10-99.jpg  

55 - Late Oct. 2009 30 feet from state hwy 70  - 1 mile from my mtn place.  Vehicles I guarded t.jpg   56 - Close-up My brown truck, camper and snowmobile trailer - I guarded last ten days I was up t.jpg   57 - Aspen trees - 7 miles down  hill from my mtn  place - parked on state hwy 70 - and distant .jpg   58 - Grand Encampment museum - real historical artifacts - cabin and 2 story outhouse mid pic.jpg   59 - Mtnman Mike & truck.jpg   59.2 MM Mike & truck in driveway.jpg  

59.3 - Rent a cop - MM Mike 2001 - security guard.jpg   60 - Mike Feeding Gray Jay - 1997.jpg   61 - Best Buds - a pest can become a friend.jpg  

Last edited by Mtnman Mike; 11-21-2009 at 01:08 PM..
The Following 95 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
45survive, agentzundrcovr, ajk1941, arleigh, aspireonescs, AZman, Bensonrew, Biltong, Blackthorn, Blister, Brimasmom, britzen, callmeoldfashN, CAWB, chamberlain125, doczeus, dogmaw, dolmen, Duncan, EdD270, elkhound, endl3ss, exetermedic101, exmarinerider, Fishbread, Fishrarr, Flanker, Foulball, FrightenedWolfe, Gem of a Jenn, goatscapeable, grandma, grant9908, hawkbern, HelioLost, HSPrincipal, Idaho, IdahoGard'ner, jdode, jksw, joes, Justsaymo, Kroenen117, Lark, laylow, lyn, lynxx, marinemom, miller4546, mr_nice_guy228, ms,hillbilly, muddog15, mudman, muffin_n, Nemesis77, neovenus, Nick York, nk14zp, Nomad-max, OKGlocker, PaulTGarrett, pearlselby, Post18guy, Principal, Rat Eater, RealCoolDude, reddots, RedWoods, Renegade89, rob68, salty, sammyscout, sherrieallen, SSGNasty, Steve28, stonemark, swwjeff, tackleberry444, thefemalesurvivalist, Thunder 9, TimeTraveler766, Tony From Da Bronx, Tucapau58, TXodus, TXplowgirl, vja4Him, Watch Ryder, Westfalia, Wildrose, WISasquatch, WonderMonkey, wvmountaineer, XS29L, Yorkshire Boy, ZX9RCAM
Old 11-21-2009, 09:33 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

The following may seem like a very long post but it quite possibly covers much, Maybe almost all people need to know about a survival retreat, with an excellent checklist. I will Probably tell some of my experiences this past summer also as I said but probably not today. I told quite a bit about the bear in a previous post in this thread but can tell much more about quite a few things... Anyone who is really interested in survival retreats will surely be interested in the following and comments etc. are welcome >

A retreat is a place to go to Live, Not die. It's a place out of the mainstream of events that contains the means to survive without outside support. It is defensible and built with the understanding of what the dangers might be.

As Ragnar Benson, author of "The Survival Retreat, A total Plan for retreat defense" wrote, "It is a matter of wisely identifying what you have available and turning it into something usable.... Fight If you must but try your utmost to orchestrate events so that confrontation is absolutely the remedy of last resort."

I wish Benson's books were online, for I would clip and post quite a bit from them. Possibly they are but I have not seen them on the internet. Ragnar Benson's books I believe, can still be bought through Paladin Press. His 3 best books about survival retreats are: "The Survival Retreat", "The Modern Survival Retreat" and "Living off the Land in the City or Country" Google them and learn If you are interested in extremely good survival retreat info.

"The Survival Retreat" is a 125 page book written in 1983. I would like to post a few sentences from that book for it is very important for everyone interested in retreats to know.

Quoted from Benson's "The Survival Retreat" >
"By now it should be clear that the retreats we are talking about in this book are not simply log cabins set in pine forests alongside remote, pristine lakes. Retreats, for survivalists, are places that provide shelter from hostile people, elements and nuclear, biological and chemical agents. Under some circumstances a retreat could be both a summer home and a bunker, but for the average survivalist, that is fairly unlikely.

To a large extent, the concept of a defensible bunker and an NBC shelter is a contradiction in terms. A shelter must be a buttoned-up, closed-in place that will protect the inhabitants from a hostile environment.

A bunker is designed primarily to defend strategic locations from hostile intruders. Obviously one cannot defend his bunker if he has his head pulled down so far he doesn't know what is going on outside.

Happily the solution to this is not as contradictory as it might seem. Intruders will not become a problem if your retreat is well hidden, the approaches strong, and the entrance obscured.

Secondly, the time of the most intensive biologica warfare will not be the time when unwanted visitors will come rambling up to your door.

If the collapse occurs as a result of economic failure and mob action is a threat, you will have to rely on the fact that mobs generally have no planned, coordinated goal. You must go out of your way to prevent your retreat from becoming a target.

Weeks after the collapse, random looters will start to be a problem. Then the answer is regular patrols, listening posts, assigned general guard duty, and your on-the-ground defense net. This is the time to turn your retreat from a shelter to a bunker/command post. Your location and circumstances will determine how far to carry this conversion. (If it is remote or not...)

Another phenomenon that is even more insidious is the concept of the collective shelter. Virtually every government and commercial publication on shelters and shelter management stresses the desirability of establishing large, group shelters where citizens can gather and withstand the ordeal as a group.
One of the first duties of a shelter manager, according to these publications, is to disarm
the arriving refugees. I sincerely trust that no true survivalist will ever fall into this trap."

Also from Benson's book "The Survival Retreat, A total Plan for Retreat Defense" >

The Defensible Retreat checklist

Once you have your retreat site picked out or even if you have a retreat, homestead, farm etc. then use a checklist to identify your priorities and establish a work plan and budget. Most of the following points must be answered with a Yes. If there are many answered No, then get to work upgrading your retreat or find another location. There is little fluff in the following list:

Check List

Yes or No

___ ___ Will the retreat hold all of the people who are likely to use it?

___ ___ Does the retreat provide protection from nuclear, biological and chemical threats?

___ ___ Is water available independent of any municipal supply or source?

___ ___ Do I know how I will preserve my food?

___ ___ Have I identified how I will heat and cook?

___ ___ Is it possible to safely store food, clothing, explosives, guns and ammunition at the retreat?

___ ___ Can the location be secured now before it is actually manned during the collapse?

___ ___ Does it have adequate facilities? Can all the people wash occasionally? Will the toilets work?

___ ___ Can the retreat be obscured and hidden now and after the fighting starts?

___ ___ Do any neighbors and friends outside of those who will use the retreat know of its existence?

___ ___ Have I devised a workable defense plan?

___ ___ Can the area be patrolled?

___ ___ Is the retreat actually defensible or am I just kidding myself?

___ ___ Can the approaches be mined and guarded?

___ ___ Do I have the proper equipment to guard them?

___ ___ Is the retreat in an area where I can raise a garden, scrounge and generally set up a viable existence after the collapse?

___ ___ Do I have a library in the retreat?

___ ___ Is the library good enough to provide the information needed after the collapse? If not, what books do I still need?

___ ___ What about medical supplies and information? Have I got that covered?

___ ___ Have I provided for nuclear monitoring? Do I have Geiger counters, dosimeters etc.?

___ ___ Do I have decontamination suits so at least some of my people can leave the retreat to guard, patrol and take care of outside chores?

___ ___ Have I made plans to keep hordes of people from coming anywhere near my area? Such as blocking roads with trees, rocks, logs, dynamiting bridges etc?

___ ___ Have I evaluated my people and attempted to fit them into the various duties the best way possible?

___ ___ Am I psychologically equipped to defend my retreat? Can I or any of my group actually shoot intruders or raiders?

___ ___ Does everyone know which situations will actually trigger the defense plan and when to activate traps etc. and to start shooting if necessary?

___ ___ Do I have a stock of barter goods? Are they properly stored?

___ ___ Do I know how everyone will get to the retreat, unless it is their permanent residence? Do they have at least one alternative contingency plan for getting to the retreat, preferably two?

___ ___ Have I evaluated the various threat possibilities and then made realistic plans to counter them, especially the non-confrontive, non-military threats?

___ ___ Are the immediate approaches to my retreat such that they can be made impassable by booby traps or just plain physical means?

___ ___ Do I know how much time it will take to close the approaches and who will be in charge of this job?

___ ___ Do I have a battle plan that fits everyone into the defense structure? such as shooters, non-shooters, gun loaders, look-outs etc...

___ ___ Do I know the warning signs that will indicate that it is time to put my retreat plan into operation?

___ ___ Do I the correct guns and ammunition or have I been swept away by the armament gurus into believing that tons of hardware can replace the right amount of the proper equipment?

___ ___ Have I planned for retreat communications?

___ ___ Do I know what means and material the enemy at his disposal or even who the enemy is in a realistic sense?

___ ___ Have I put together a psychological plan to keep people away and discourage them if they do attack?

___ ___ Have I planned for special medical/dietary needs of the group?

___ ___ Have I taken care of my group's current medical/dental requirements so these won't be of immediate concern after the collapse?

___ ___ Do I know how to reload ammunition and operate and repair guns?

___ ___ Am I skilled at using alternative means of transportation such as bicycles, motorcycles, atvs, snowmobiles, trucks etc?

___ ___ Am I highly motivated and self-confident?

___ ___ Do I know my home territory?

___ ___ Is the retreat adequately stocked with tools, utensils, barter items for use in the new economy?

___ ___ Do I know where to get the consumable items we will need such as light bulbs, grease, oil, soap, toilet paper, canning lids, salt, needles and thread? Have I thought about these items in terms of my retreat?

___ ___ Are fires a danger. If so, what can I do to counter that threat? Such as have fire extinguishers, defensible space around buildings by cutting away brush, thick trees etc...

___ ___ Is blast a danger? Will my retreat withstand an explosion? ( such as a deep underground blast shelter/bunker with dirt, rocks, concrete etc. on top)

___ ___ Can I properly evaluate situations? Am I prone to hysteria or passivity?

___ ___ Do I have a continuing survival training program? even an exercise program to stay in shape?

___ ___ Have I studied other collapsed societies and how people are surviving?

___ ___ Have I made plans to survive heavy equipment such as tanks and helicopters, If that becomes necessary?

___ ___ Do I know how to use game, fish and wild plants in my area?

___ ___ Do I know how to garden in my area?

___ ___ Do I know how the actual retreat will be ventilated? What about lighting?

___ ___ Is it possible for attackers, raiders to sneak up on my retreat unseen or, more importantly, for them to detect my retreat without exposing themselves?

___ ___ Have I tried to look at defeating my retreat from the eyes of an enemy?

This should cover everything but survival is a personal matter. You have to work out the exact details of your plan."

MM Mike here again. Hope everyone likes the above list which should cover about everything. If anyone has something to add to that checklist please do. Hope it will be useful to some for it took me over 2 hours to type it all out. I would recommend buying "The Survival Retreat" as well as some of Ragnar Benson's other books also. They can be found at Paladin Press website. Google them If any are interested in obtaining some good books on survival retreats etc.

I know that the above list is mostly just for those who own some land, especially land in a very rural area. I did not add a couple questions about explosives. People can think of those themselves If they wish.

For the many who do Not own land and possibly never will, such as those in cities, in apartments etc. then hope you can take what you are able to and what you need from the above checklist. A survival retreat can be part of a farm, ranch, homestead, especially an off grid, self-sufficient homestead (which is pretty rare in the USA) or whatever one can imagine it to be. It is still possible to have a survival retreat even in an apartment. Even the homeless technically have a survival retreat, if they have only a tent, cardboard shack or whatever. A good well stocked survival retreat is good to have but survival is also a state of mind and having the Will to Live, no matter what. Some of us will not give in no matter if society becomes a police state or if there is a complete societal and/or economic collapse. Unlike some who will try to be at ground zero so they will not have to survive to face whatever future may come, there are some who will at Least try to survive NO matter what happens. Suicide is not an option for we are true Survivalists!!

Last edited by Mtnman Mike; 11-21-2009 at 01:17 PM..
The Following 134 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
a1bigtuna, AngelsDad, apocalypsenow, arleigh, aspireonescs, Athanasius, AZman, Bensonrew, Bighead, bill may, Blackthorn, Blister, boyscoutsal, britzen, captaingreg, chamberlain125, chaosofcreation, CipherGeek, cliffc, Cobrayankee, countryfree, countrygirl39759, cupid0311, Daganga, Damme, Defcon, Detman101, Distorted Humor, doczeus, dogmaw, Eagle Scout Survivor, EdD270, elkhound, endl3ss, exmarinerider, Fishbread, Fishrarr, fistfull of hurt, Flanker, Flinter536, forestdavegump, FredlyFX, FrightenedWolfe, fxst00, gallon, Gem of a Jenn, goatscapeable, grandma, grant9908, Griff, hawkbern, HelloKittyTank, HowardRoark, HSPrincipal, Hunter4488, Idaho, IdahoGard'ner, isuzu1992, jksw, joes, jstlrkng, junglecrawler, Justsaymo, K0DEN, KaBar67, kermit4161, Keyser_Soze85, knifethrower, LadyKristianna, lafayettela, lanahi, laylow, lhd, lifesux, lyn, lynxx, marinemom, mesha, mlbricker, mudman, muffin_n, mystikspiral99, N.GA11bScoutsOut!, nateb466, Nemesis77, Nomad-max, Normann, Nutjob Transplant, Ocysp, OKGlocker, oldgoat, Oregon Miner, overbore, pearlselby, PFWAG, prepgal, Prime Oddity, Principal, Rat Eater, RealCoolDude, RedWoods, Renegade89, Robot, Roc, sammyscout, sarco2000, SCALPHUNTER, Slamfire11, snoblind, snypr, squeak, SSGNasty, stonemark, Supressed223, tackleberry444, tadgreen_2, TasKit, thefemalesurvivalist, TimeTraveler766, tn-dave, TRM, Tucapau58, TXodus, TXplowgirl, vja4Him, walcott, Watch Ryder, weldnfab, Wolfe1759, WonderMonkey, XS29L, Yorkshire Boy, zbadger13, ZX9RCAM
Old 11-21-2009, 01:13 PM
I LOVED THIS F0RUM!

Thanked 32,929 Times in 12,710 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

It looks like some of the trees were nailed with Pine Beetle. I see that a lot up over the pass from Denver to Granby.

If you had to retreat to your place in dead winter, would you be able to make it?
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2009, 01:28 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
It looks like some of the trees were nailed with Pine Beetle. I see that a lot up over the pass from Denver to Granby.

If you had to retreat to your place in dead winter, would you be able to make it?
Yeah, the pine beetles have gotten most of the lodgpole pines and all but two on my mtn place. Two large - fifty foot ones that is. I have possibly around 100 live pine trees on my sunny hillside but most of them are less than 8 feet tall.

If I HAD to retreat to my remote mtn place in the dead of winter I think I could make it until summer. I do have a great deal of firewood although most of it is not split. Which I could do if necessary even in the winter.

The one pic of my black 55 gallon drum is filled with a couple buckets of wheat, a fifty pound bag of pinto beans, some sugar, etc. Which I should eat starting next year for I sealed those drums up more than 5 years ago. There is another black drum that is also filled, possibly people can barely see the edge of it behind the drum in front. The bear did not even touch these two steel drums for they are well secured. I have quite a bit of canned food also, even though it gets froze solid in the winter. The deeper the snow the less extreme cold for the deep snow, especially on top of my underground shelter/bunker is a good insulator.

But I do have a Lot of work to do before I will even try to live on my mtn place full-time year round. I did stay up there all of October 2008, living inside my bunker on a bunk bed. I burned at least 2 large pickup trucks of wood that month. I should get at Least 10 cords of firewood all ready and stacked inside my large woodshed to make things easier. BUT I do work a lot up there for other neighbors making some $ as I have for the past 3 years. I can make more up there than in the stinkin city especially the last 2 years.

I Hope to live up there permanently in a very few years. Much more I could say but maybe I will tell even more later. I really don't tell Everything, even though some think I tell far too much. As much as people have learned about me in my 3 pic threads and a couple other places on the net, there is much Much more that people will probably never know about me...

Last edited by Mtnman Mike; 11-21-2009 at 01:33 PM..
Old 11-21-2009, 01:41 PM
Preparing since 1972

Thanked 4,737 Times in 2,240 Posts

Great pics Mike...Thanks for sharing
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to joes For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2009, 02:05 PM
Recent Blog:
Caseyboy

Thanked 4,040 Times in 802 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Very nice Mike. You are one of the few who are doing more than just talk the talk. I salute you and your efforts.

Caseyboy
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Caseyboy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Ringin Your Gong From 600

Thanked 7,974 Times in 3,194 Posts

As always, thank you very much for sharing! I really enjoy checking out your pics and reading what your have to say.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hawkbern For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2009, 05:01 PM

Incredibly awesome and informative Mtnman Mike. Thanks for sharing.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to litework For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2009, 05:18 PM

looks good Mike and it is good that you are back =). Grrrr bears....
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Noven For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2009, 05:32 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseyboy View Post
Very nice Mike. You are one of the few who are doing more than just talk the talk. I salute you and your efforts.

Caseyboy
And salud to you too Casey. I have read some of your interesting posts. You should write a book. But I guess you have. You can post the link here to it, I think there is a link? I am sure most of the masses have not seen it.

I should write a book also but these pic threads are bad enough and I am just trying to survive the winter here in the banana republic of Colorado. Seriously, from Ft. Collins to Greeley where I am now to south of Denver it is called the banana belt for its shape and its warmer temps than most of CO and Wyoming.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2009, 10:16 PM
Recent Blog:
Caseyboy

Thanked 4,040 Times in 802 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Here it is Mike, and thanks for the invite:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...light=Caseyboy

I also have a new web page if someone wants to read a preview of my book. It is a bit different than what was posted here on the forum. www.lmichaelrusin.com

Caseyboy
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Caseyboy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2009, 06:50 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseyboy View Post
Here it is Mike, and thanks for the invite:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...light=Caseyboy

I also have a new web page if someone wants to read a preview of my book. It is a bit different than what was posted here on the forum. www.lmichaelrusin.com

Caseyboy
Good links and anyone who buys books should buy yours. I might someday but in the winter when I am in the stinkin city I mainly just read on the net. I read books on my mtn place especially when it is rainy and snowy. I read a couple books during the five day blizzard of which I have told some in my other pic thread and I have a pic of the blizzard after effects in a post above.

My other pic thread for the couple people who have not seen it yet > http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=52880
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2009, 07:02 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

I am not absolutely certain but I don't think that most if any are seeing the optical illusion in pics 12 and 12.1 so I drew a red line around them and hope that now people can see them. Looks like an ET or gollum does it Not??

One guy messaged me and said he thought I maybe went crazy and am now seeing things....
I am not saying I believe in ET = extra terrestrials but the pic is very interesting.

Plz tell me I am Not the Only one to see the ET in this pic. I did Not create this pic only took it and then noticed it when the film was developed.

In the 2nd pic everyone Should be able to see it with the red line drawn around its head. See the nose, eye or eyes and half a grin??
Attached Thumbnails
12 - Burning waste out of outhouse - rebuilt it later.   Notice upper right corner oo   Optical .jpg   12.1 - Optical illusion of ET - Hopefully - from previous burning waste pic - I did Not create t.jpg  
Old 11-22-2009, 07:13 AM
‹bermensch

Thanked 6,133 Times in 2,508 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Haha, now I see what you're going on about.

An interesting shape, but I think it's just a coincident.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Duncan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2009, 07:42 AM
Concerned Survivalist

Default Questions if you don't mind

Hi Mike my name is Ed and you don't know me or owe me anything. You don't even have to answer my questions. It is your right and none of my business but if you would,

First and foremost, I am envious. Congrats on your accompishments and thank you for your posts and pictures.

How long does the snow hang around up there? It looks like tough livin.

How many square feet in the place???

Is it built into the side of a hill?

How long is your grow season?

Why did you have to guard a snow machine trailer and camper? Was it not on your property?

That was fresh snow from this month? Today is the 21st WOW!!!!!

Why did you have to sleep in your truck? I am confused on that.

Do you have a snow machine for winter travel?

Just some questions from a fellow survivalist. Thanks again.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Backwoods860 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2009, 08:38 AM
BEWARE OF DOG

Thanked 1,096 Times in 392 Posts

glad you had a great time living it up in the high country.i too had bear troubles this year.especially in late spring time.guess they were extra hungry for some reason.heres a few pic's.

my small chicken tractor before and after pic's.
before

after

bear got in the 300 gallon stock tank and even pulled my 12volt pump from its moutning bucket.he broke riser pipe off and let most of water out and you can see the small catfsih are about to run out of water from damage.

and then he made his way to wellhouse.popped a electrical outlet from the wall.

and he loves my ATV...glad i ddint leave keys in it...roflmao...he likes to take a bite from the seat also and has bit about all my plastic buckets.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:17 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,437 Times in 1,409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnman Mike View Post
And salud to you too Casey. I have read some of your interesting posts. You should write a book. But I guess you have. You can post the link here to it, I think there is a link? I am sure most of the masses have not seen it.

I should write a book also but these pic threads are bad enough and I am just trying to survive the winter here in the banana republic of Colorado. Seriously, from Ft. Collins to Greeley where I am now to south of Denver it is called the banana belt for its shape and its warmer temps than most of CO and Wyoming.
Ok, you've inspired me. I'll share the few pix I have on my laptop of my place this summer. We got a few things done, but pale's in comparison to you.

Well I thought I had more on this computer. Just one of the view this summer. So I included an updated pix of Bella, with an oldie of me and my dad. I was probably about 8 months in the picture, and it also shows our GSD at the time.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2906.jpg   049_49.jpg   DSCN2910.jpg  
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to squeak For This Useful Post: