Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Rifle Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 11-18-2009, 11:15 PM

Default Mosin vs Mauser

Advertise Here

What are the pros and cons of these two rifles. Which is your favorite and why?

Doc
Old 11-19-2009, 02:46 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,628 Times in 832 Posts

Mosin-Ammo cheaper, Gun is cheaper,reliable bolt action, plenty of history. May be farily worn out, or like new.

Mauser-More expensive, ammo more expensive, Reliable bolt action, plently of history, may be well worn or like new...

Can't go wrong with a good example of either really.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ls1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2009, 03:36 AM
Never Give up

Thanked 12,194 Times in 3,940 Posts

An avantage the Mauser has over the Mosin is all the cheap parts for customizing if you want to turn it into a sporting looking weapon. Its also alot cheaper to change it to differnt calibers. Also the Mosin sights on alot of them are of if you remove the bayonet. Some dont have this problem but alot will. But I love both of em and think there both fine weapons.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:50 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,802 Times in 1,753 Posts

8mm mauser ammo can be purchased for about $100 for 340 rounds.

Likely, the cheap ammo deals for 7.62x54r will be around longer. 50 year old powder does not burn as consistently as new stuff does, so you may find long range shots to wander vertically. For long range performance, you need to reload or buy new, but sometimes you can find good surplus ammo. If reloading is a serious option, I'd much rather buy a .30-06 or something common.

Every used gun is a case by case basis. It has been used or possibly abused for half a century or more. I don't own either, but would lean more on the 8mm mauser. The mausers are what other gun manufacturers have been trying to copy for over 70 years. K98 german mauser or the M24 yugo mausers have looked pretty tempting.
The Following User Says Thank You to sailinghudson25 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,747 Times in 2,331 Posts

The Mauser is a 111+ year old design that's still in production. (FN/Winchester 70)
The Nagant is a 118 year old design that's out of production.

The Mauser and Nagant are still front line weapons in the backwater countries.

The Mauser is a 'hunting' rifle, designed for hunting both men and game. Even in rough late wartime models, they're more rifle than you'd need for most anything.

The Nagant is a weapon designed to be handed to a conscript army. Crude, rough and effective. The best word that comes to mind is ungainly.

You'll be hard pressed to wear out a good-very good condition one of either.

I prefer the Mauser, and have several in both military and commercial form.
There's a couple Nagants in the safe but they're just being held for someone else.

On a very limited budget? The Nagant.
On a tight but slightly flexible budget? The Mauser.

If you must get a Nagant, try and get a Finn.
http://www.mosinnagant.net/

Here's a good site to look at:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whirlibird For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,045 Posts

I prefer the sights and the accuracy of the Mauser.

I also prefer 8MM over 7.62X54.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Trapper

I have a "sporterized" Mauser K98k and I haven't found a rifle in a comparable price/accuracy group that I'd trade it for yet.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:33 PM
Trapper

mauser hands down. i have both but its a way better rifle. might cost you a few extra bucks but its worth it.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Boolit Master

Purchased my first Mosin M44 a couple years ago $75 out the door,bore is perfect,can dust anything at 100 yds. with the iron sights on a regular basis with bayo closed. It likes the Light Ball ammo the best,accuracy improves greatly with reloads.

Sights are crude but there are plenty of options available to improve that,such as the Mosin front sight modification,S & K scout mount for scopes and MOJO micro click fully adjustable rear and front sight. Classic Arms has some excellent grade Yugo Mausers at the moment I would be happy with a excellent example of either.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:45 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 11,943 Times in 4,474 Posts

This subject comes up fairly often. Posted by folks who are awfully short on money and yet understand that they need some type of defensive weapon. They also rightly believe that one suitable for hunting would even be better.

I would go with the Mauser every time. It is a vastly superior design in it's original chambering and can be rebarreled to many common cartridges that use the same cartridge rim diameter. Components for sporterizing it are much easier to find such as really good triggers. Plus the bolt handle can be hot forged (bent) and a scope mounted low and centered over the action.

I know the Mosin is cheap, but I don't agree with buying the cheapest weapon one can find. You get what you pay for and I believe that your defensive weapon is not the place to cut corners. The Mosin is clumsey and ungainly and far too heavy for the cartridge.

I also don't care that mil surplus ammo is cheap. If you want to save money on your ammo, I suggest that you learn to reload, not buy up cheap crap.

Actually, I would suggest that folks start by buying a good used commercial weapon for hunting and a good used military semi auto battle rifle for defense. If one gun must be counted on to fill both roles, I would prefer a 12 ga pump shot gun.

Just my thoughts.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:12 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 2,940 Times in 1,675 Posts

The Mauser 98's from Mitchells Mausers are awesome little rifles. Nothing fancy but they are hardly crude. 8mm is a great cartridge. I should have bought one a while ago but they are still fairly cheap.

I would own a Mosin Nagant.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:32 PM
Prepared

This can easily be answered. While both are reliable preformers, have any custom gunsmiths ever built a $20,000 rifle on a mosin action?
The Following User Says Thank You to 30-30remchester For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2009, 02:44 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Thanked 3,033 Times in 1,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKpredator View Post
The Mauser 98's from Mitchells Mausers are awesome little rifles. Nothing fancy but they are hardly crude. 8mm is a great cartridge. I should have bought one a while ago but they are still fairly cheap.

I would own a Mosin Nagant.
Mauser great yes, but do not buy from Mitchell's! they are re-stamped, pimp shined crap. and over priced at that. historical collectors' hair falls out when you use the words "Mitchells" and "Mausers" in the same sentence.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vergeltung For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2009, 06:12 PM
In a pile of brass

Thanked 1,547 Times in 822 Posts

the mauser has better sights, and has a longer effective range witht he irons (for me and everyone i know), mauser costs more, and so does the ammo

mosin is CHEAP, ammo is CHEAP, and its effective range is about 500 yards with irons i would say???? maximum is around 2000 for arched pray fire? great gun, good price, good ammo prices.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:33 PM
RESET CONGRESS!!

Thanked 12,408 Times in 4,748 Posts

Both are potentially great rifles. Get 'em both!

Old 11-23-2009, 07:35 PM
Never compromise.

Thanked 10,900 Times in 3,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30remchester View Post
have any custom gunsmiths ever built a $20,000 rifle on a mosin action?
Maybe not American smiths. But I've seen reworked Mosin sniper rifles in the hands of foriegn soldiers, that will shoot with anything we have on the field. They have been rebarrelled and the action has been bedded into a current technology stock. It appeared to be an Accuracy International type stock. I think its the Finns who field them if I'm not mistaken. Just because *we* don't do it, doesn't mean its not done.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MonsterMash For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2009, 08:41 AM

I collect Mosin Nagant 1891/30's mostly around the world war 2 era by date stamped on the barrel and refinish them. They are a reliable, durable weapon and the ammo is very inexpensive and you can get new ammo as opposed to having to use surplus. My preference is the Mosin.
The Following User Says Thank You to TRS For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2009, 09:09 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 11,943 Times in 4,474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30remchester View Post
This can easily be answered. While both are reliable preformers, have any custom gunsmiths ever built a $20,000 rifle on a mosin action?
The reason fellow gunsmiths do not built custom guns on this action is:

1) The bolt face configuration is driven by the very large rim of the 7.62 cartridge. This means that it is not compatible with any other cartridge and welding up material onto a bolt face and replacing the extractor costs big $.
2) The receiver has a split bridge due to the forward placement of the bolt handle. The only way to mount a scope in the correct location (low and centered on the receiver) is to relocate the bolt handle and weld up the rear bridge.
3) They would require yet another set of tools and reamers and no one wants a custom gun in 7.62R.
4) The Mosin owners I have talked to are notoriously cheap (hence why they bought one in the first place), they fancy themselves as gun experts, and they will not pay for true professional gunsmithing work.
5) The only sporterized Mosins I have seen were built up by their owners. Some reflect the skill of their owners, but many do not.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:01 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

I saw a tweaked moisan that had been rebarreled to shoot 300 win mag in an artical about the hayha sniper competition in finland out of all the competetive teams they came in 4th I believe
Old 11-26-2009, 11:10 AM
is the new black.

Funny, me and my friend are trying to decide exactly this, for his first rifle.

I've got the Mosin Nagant, got lucky and scored a nearly pristine one that had been arsenaled since it was built in 1939, never saw action.

He's leaning Mauser all things equal, but the cost keeps pulling back to the Nagant.