Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 03-03-2008, 06:55 PM
"For G*d & Country"

Default Alcohol Stove...Indoor use???

Advertise Here

Am considering getting an alcohol stove for camping / preparedness. I have read that they can be safe for indoor use (if need be-depending on fuel), but they can burn different fuels so I am confused. If I had such a stove and went to the big home store to get fuel what would I use for inside?? My understanding is that butane burns clean enough for indoor use and some even use portable propane stoves indoors. Any input on alcohol use is greatly appreciated...thanks
Old 03-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,148 Times in 1,181 Posts

I don't recommend any liquid fuel stove being used inside the house.It's easy to spill fuel,or things leak,and you got a big problem. I sold an alcohol stove on ebay a while back.I had no idea if it worked,or held fuel without leaking.And I stated it in the ad. Some lady bought it, ASS-U-ME'd it would fire right up.She filled it ,and lit it on her kitchen counter. I guess she caught the counter on fire a little bit...
Old 03-03-2008, 08:09 PM
"Dolt"

Thanked 3,214 Times in 1,204 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

LOL mine blew up. It sent the top half hit the roof; and it splattered fuel all over the place. I did the fire dance to put everything out and try to clean it before the mrs got home. Be sure to read how to use it BEFORE use. (That was a dumb doc moment).
Old 03-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,900 Times in 1,819 Posts

I would treat all fumes as toxic. Proper ventilation for anything is wise.

Doc, I just bought a small and big fire extinguishers, much inspired by my alcohol stove testing. No accidents yet, and all houses need them anyway if you are a prepper.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:21 AM

Alcohol stoves are what is used at most BANQUETS under those heated food trays to keep everything hot. They usually use jellied alcohol like STERNO so they don't spill. There is little or no soot and no fumes but they can consume the oxygen in a poorly ventilated room or space.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:12 PM

Here is a YouTube video that I stumbled upon last week and fits this discussion perfectly. I have not made one yet, but am planning on it during this week. I'll let you know how it went!! Enjoy.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Prepared

I have made a few (Too many) alcohol stoves from pop cans. I have going on to using the aluminum bottles for my light alcohol stove.

I have a bathroom tile I set the stove on, in the house, to test the stoves.

Most times I use 91% isopropyl alcohol. Heet car gas additive works well. (IN the yellow can). (NOT NOT NOT the red).

Go to ( www.zenstoves.com ) This will help you with making and understanding the types and use of several stove designs.

Don
Old 03-11-2008, 08:36 PM

dude i made 1 and it works awsome make 1 as a backup stove thats what i did
Old 03-22-2008, 05:36 PM
Modern Day Nessmuk

Charter, My dad made an alcohol stove, it lasts for around 15 minutes, with just a tblsp of clean burning alcohol fuel. Its made out of two soda cans, so its recycling, and weighs nothing, I could put a photo essay on how to make one together for ya, if you like! :D
Old 03-22-2008, 06:46 PM
"For G*d & Country"

I have been making a few simple ones myself. Testing them outdoors...of course. They seem to work pretty well. Have only used HEET so far (NO ISO-HEET). The little self pressurizing cat can one worked pretty well!!! When you put a pot on it, it acts like a little stove burner. Check it out.

http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/index.html

Thanks for the input!!!