Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 11-13-2009, 09:18 AM

Default Storing food underground

Advertise Here

I have a question about storing canned food underground. I live in central Florida and had the idea to bury a deep freezer and seal the lid to keep some of my canned food. What are your thoughts on this. What about the winter is it cold enough to bust the cans? What about condensation? What about the Florida heat? This is my first time posting any ideas will be helpfull.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh1815 View Post
I have a question about storing canned food underground. I live in central Florida and had the idea to bury a deep freezer and seal the lid to keep some of my canned food. What are your thoughts on this. What about the winter is it cold enough to bust the cans? What about condensation? What about the Florida heat? This is my first time posting any ideas will be helpfull.

How cold do your winter's get? A freezer has insulation in it and so does the ground. If you put a layer of 1 or 2 inch ridged insulation on top of that with something to weight it down I would think it would survive a mild winter. If you get a deep freeze where it gets down to below zero F for several nights in a row then you might have problems, but the ground can keep an area insulated from 20 to 50 degrees warmer (or cooler) than it is up top. So do you have a whole lot of below 10 degree F winter nights? If you do you might have to put more insulation around it plus bury it a bit deeper. Ten feet down with something to block the outside air from coming down keeps my unheated roots cellars between 45 and 55 degrees all year long no matter how cold or hot it gets.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:56 AM
Tales of a Scorched Earth

Quote:
If you have your items underground, It is usually a nice 60-65 degrees year round. I used to actually live in a underground basement, and while everyone was upstairs cooking in the hot sun, I was nice and happy in my 65-68 degree temps.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:18 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 104,895 Times in 33,600 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Underground temps are just about perfect for food storage. In fact, even in the old days that's how they stored food. They made root cellars to keep their harvest in. Even in cold climates you can keep food from freezing as long as it's below the frost line. In Florida, you won't have that problem.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2009, 01:26 PM
Just A Shadow

Thanked 1,299 Times in 317 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
You shouldn't have any problems. To bust the cans the temperature has to be below freezing for quit awhile - and that won't happen in Florida. The ground temperature won't be below 72 degrees. It may be even higher depending where in Florida you are.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,384 Times in 679 Posts

Being from Florida (and familiar with the central florida topography) I would also say that freezing below the surface won't be a problem at all, even in most of northern Florida. The biggest problem you will have is moisture and water. Many wells in this area are only dug to about 40 feet-like mine. Thus, if you dig too deep water will be a huge problem. Also, a freezer, being mostly metal, may rust in a little over a year due to the sandy soil and the rainy season.

I personally wouldn't use a freezer but would try some other plastic container that is well sealed--to block out moisture, and oxygen absorbers. I must admit I am new to using oxygen absorbers so I can only assume they will work. Well now you got me thinking, now I am thinking about burying something in the yard just to test it out. The only way to know for sure is to try it.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:44 PM
Impimus Maximus

As Oif just said, you would need to worry about rust, and the buoyancy of the freezer, too. Your canned goods would help weigh it down, but if it's only half full and you get a good rain, it'll pop up to the surface.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:40 PM
BTDT and it still hurts..

I bury mine in a sealed 55 gallon plastic drum. About 58 degrees year round. S.Carolina Hot summers. Your water table might pose a bigger problem. 10 inches of dirt over mine. zero problems have had several for years. Freezing is not an issue underground.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:26 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 17,303 Times in 3,561 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Here in the Rocky Mountains and on my mtn retreat I have had many cans of food become froze solid when I have left them up there for a year or two. And the metal cans never break. Glass jars and most glass containers will break as I have sadly found out. Plastic jars will not break when frozen either.

One has to have a well sealed and deep underground shelter for the temperature to remain fifty degrees or so year round. I have experience with that also....
Old 11-14-2009, 07:32 AM

You all have been very helpfull. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question
Old 11-14-2009, 09:04 AM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 22,883 Times in 9,296 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 

We use 55-gallon steel drums. They are food-grade and withstand most anything. I get them from a local twinky factory for free.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:50 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,862 Times in 1,008 Posts

Wow! They make Twinkies in Maine? And up in the boonies to boot. I didn't know that.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:41 AM
off-grid organic farmer

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 

Sorry, I should clarify, the factory makes an assortment of sponge-cake pastries, some with pineapple or banana fillings.

The drums are food-grade but smell of vanilla, or pineapple, or banana. And some were full of lard.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:36 PM

Default Drum storage for foos etc

I have a question about using metal drums for storage. Are there any issues with them rusting through?? Also with the large open topped plastic drums can you seal them so that they are water proof??

Any help would be great...
Old 03-14-2011, 08:50 PM
off-grid organic farmer

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 

They can rust through, given 40 years.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestBeekeeper View Post
They can rust through, given 40 years.
Lets see I will be about almost 100 yrs old then, so I guess that's long enough.
The Following User Says Thank You to Parkstranger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2011, 10:08 PM
Hunter

yes some times you just have to take a chance and use something that will rot in 40 years. LOL
Old 03-14-2011, 10:12 PM
Prepared

Might want to think about Sink Holes in Central and Southern FL. If I still lived in Central FL I certainly wouldn't consider burying food.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:40 PM
Prepared

I live in a cold climate and I can tell you that once you get below the frost line, even frigid cold temperatures don't matter. The water and sewage lines here are buried at least 4 to 5 feet underground and are unaffected by the cold or heat. Temperatures in the winter can get down to -40 F.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:33 AM

Just looked it up for here in Mo. 2 feet is good, Still thats a bunch of digging for a big drum.