Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 11-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Condense the nonsense

Thanked 4,226 Times in 1,387 Posts
Default Burglar Bomb

Advertise Here

I've seen these mentioned here briefly from time to time but never actually seen one. While I'd never depend solely on this system alone, it is an interesting idea and I could see the use of incorporating it into an existing security setup. This site includes several variations including one that can be tied into an alarm system.

"REVEL security devices don't rely on bells and sirens. Instead, they use OC pepper aerosol spray. When triggered by an intruder, this powerful irritant will fill a room in seconds, forcing him to leave in panic. The aerosol is also harmless to furnishings and can be aired out in as little as an hour."

http://www.stopthecrime.com/default.htm
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Your Funeral For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Grounded

Thanked 1,497 Times in 684 Posts

There may be some liability if the burglar is injured. Maybe in the panic he or she trips over the coffee table on the way out and breaks a limb. Lawyers love that stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to Levi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2009, 09:34 PM
armchair commando

Thanked 1,274 Times in 463 Posts

I actually LOVE this....I will be talking with the wife about it.
Plus it would make a great payback on the room-mate that comes in at 3am loud and drunk...lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hightech_redneck For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2009, 11:56 AM

So what happens when they're hopped up on PCP? The only person going to be disabled by the spray is you. Wiring up a house to fill with OC just doesn't seem to be a good idea.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:51 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 99,665 Times in 32,459 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnivore View Post
So what happens when they're hopped up on PCP? The only person going to be disabled by the spray is you. Wiring up a house to fill with OC just doesn't seem to be a good idea.
It's not designed to protect the house when you're actually home. That's what an alarm or dog, and gun is for. It's to help protect your stuff when you're not home.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Condense the nonsense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnivore View Post
How do you figure? You obviously didn't come to that conclusion by reading their web page-
"Will the pepper affect adjacent rooms? Only if the door is open.", "By placing an Intercepter Antiburglary Device in the front end of the bedroom hallway, you create the equivalent of an armored bedroom area. The Intercepter will protect the hallway with a cloud of OC pepper spray whenever an intruder tries to enter. You merely set the Intercepter before you go to sleep and lock the door, then switch it off in the morning when you get up."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Your Funeral For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2009, 10:04 PM
pack light, move quietly.

Default If the perp is on PCP

Now this is going to cause some argument. Everybody sit down, here it comes. OC is effective on drug users! OC was developed because it was found that CS was ineffective at controlling people who's pain tolerance was effected by drugs, and that some percentage of people had allergic reactions to CS. Now digging deep into the cobwebs of my brain.

CS is an irritant, it has no physical impact on people, in other words it doesn't prevent anything from working, you can still sea, breathe and function. They prove this in the Army by running recruits through CS chambers(incidentally one of my hats was company NBC NCO).

OC is an inflammatory agent. It causes the mucus membranes of the eyes, nose, mouth, and the rest of the respiratory system to become inflamed. That means the the PCP guy will still have eyes that are full of tears, lungs that feel as if he can't breathe and will be less effective.

No, I don't have a good link to back this up, simply because I haven't looked but these are the facts as I remember them. They replaced CS with OC because it was more effective for this specific reason. So anybody who has doubts about it should do a bit of research.

Thanks,
Rob
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hafcafdcaf For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2009, 11:01 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper_spray
Old 11-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,822 Times in 838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Funeral View Post
I've seen these mentioned here briefly from time to time but never actually seen one. While I'd never depend solely on this system alone, it is an interesting idea and I could see the use of incorporating it into an existing security setup. This site includes several variations including one that can be tied into an alarm system.

"REVEL security devices don't rely on bells and sirens. Instead, they use OC pepper aerosol spray. When triggered by an intruder, this powerful irritant will fill a room in seconds, forcing him to leave in panic. The aerosol is also harmless to furnishings and can be aired out in as little as an hour."

http://www.stopthecrime.com/default.htm
Now THIS is what I'm talkin about...um hmmm
Old 11-07-2009, 08:48 PM
Proud Patriot

hafcafdcaf- I hate to be the bearer of bad news but OC spray does not work very well on perps that are on PCP. How do I know you might ask? When I was a police officer in Texas, we fought with a perp one night who was on PCP. We dumped 3 full cans of OC spray straight up the guys snotter and never even watered his eyes. OC is very effective on MOST drug users and others, but when it comes to PCP........not so much.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:06 PM
"Somebody Get a Rope"

Thanked 1,149 Times in 543 Posts

Sounds like an accident waiting to happen to me.

However, if it could be rigged to an automatic dialer set to call the police, it might be useful for when you have to leave the house for extended periods (vacation?).

elgin
Old 11-08-2009, 02:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,838 Times in 2,455 Posts

Quote:
How do you figure? You obviously didn't come to that conclusion by reading their web page-
"Will the pepper affect adjacent rooms? Only if the door is open.", "By placing an Intercepter Antiburglary Device in the front end of the bedroom hallway, you create the equivalent of an armored bedroom area. The Intercepter will protect the hallway with a cloud of OC pepper spray whenever an intruder tries to enter. You merely set the Intercepter before you go to sleep and lock the door, then switch it off in the morning when you get up."
What happens when you forget to turn it off?
Old 11-08-2009, 03:13 AM

Thanked 4,673 Times in 1,862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanahi View Post
You get a real life test of its effectiveness.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:55 AM
Condense the nonsense

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanahi View Post
It has a warning chime, adjustable time delay, and an adjustable passive infra red sensor. Per their site- "0-40 seconds entry time delay with nondirectional, high pitched warning tone to remind forgetful owners to switch the unit off. Impossible for intruders to trace the sound to it's source. ", "My wife and I have been using an Intercepter in the bedroom hallway for over ten years and have never had an accident. The Intercepter has adjustable time delay and warning horn to alert forgetful owners to shut it off. With the Intercepter protecting us we sleep soundly knowing that the presence of this device shifts the odds of surviving a home invasion decisively in our favor."
The Following User Says Thank You to Your Funeral For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2009, 07:58 AM
"Somebody Get a Rope"

Thanked 1,149 Times in 543 Posts

Sorry, shouda gone to your link 14 posts ago.

I didn't realize that I was a commercial, sophisticated unit. I had the impression that we were talking about some kind of jury-rigged home-brewed setup.

Which model do you have? I've bookmarked their site and will consider adding one to my home security plans. Their prices are very reasonable.

Thanks.

elgin
Old 11-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Condense the nonsense

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgin View Post
Sorry, shouda gone to your link 14 posts ago.

I didn't realize that I was a commercial, sophisticated unit. I had the impression that we were talking about some kind of jury-rigged home-brewed setup.

Which model do you have? I've bookmarked their site and will consider adding one to my home security plans. Their prices are very reasonable.

Thanks.

elgin
I don't have one currently. The last paragraph in my previous post in italics is a customers testimony from the manufacturers website. I am considering getting the interceptor though.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:11 PM
1st to go last to know

better have good insurance
Old 11-08-2009, 12:51 PM
John 3:16

Thanked 48,111 Times in 20,530 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

so what happens if I am a smart burglar and know about this device then rip it off the wall and toss it inside a garbage bag before it can go off?

Standard burglar alarms, when installed correctly work very well, and will notify the monitoring station to call the cops. There is no liability and the added bonus is you can connect CO2 and smoke sensors to them to alert the fire dept. Most PD do not allow auto dialers to be used for burg or fire applications because of false positive alarms.

BTW do you really think OC can be aired out of a room in an hour?
Old 11-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Condense the nonsense

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
so what happens if I am a smart burglar and know about this device then rip it off the wall and toss it inside a garbage bag before it can go off?
Again,... even in bold this time "0-40 seconds entry time delay with non directional, high pitched warning tone to remind forgetful owners to switch the unit off. Impossible for intruders to trace the sound to it's source". The delay is adjustable for 0-40 seconds, so if you're a "smart" burglar you probably won't **** with it. Personally I'd countersink it into the wall, but its battery powered so if a "smart" burglar wants to rip it off the wall he can, but its still going to go off possibly in his hand before he places it in the bag.
Furthermore, they sell single infrared sensors that can be interfaced to one unit for remote sensing. Placed farther away from the unit with a short time delay a burglar (smart or stupid) won't be able to touch it in the very unlikely event that he'll even know what the hell the sound is once he triggers a sensor.
Quote:
Standard burglar alarms, when installed correctly work very well, and will notify the monitoring station to call the cops. There is no liability and the added bonus is you can connect CO2 and smoke sensors to them to alert the fire dept.
Thats great and I have a good security system. As I stated in my original post I don't think this "burglar bomb" is some sort end all be all security system. I think its a very clever idea and am considering buying one to implement into the system I already have.
Quote:
BTW do you really think OC can be aired out of a room in an hour?
If it was actually triggered by a burglar I'm not going to be worried if it takes more than an hour to air out.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:34 PM
John 3:16

Thanked 48,111 Times in 20,530 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

Quote:
Again,... even in bold this time "0-40 seconds entry time delay with non directional, high pitched warning tone to remind forgetful owners to switch the unit off. Impossible for intruders to trace the sound to it's source". The delay is adjustable for 0-40 seconds, so if you're a "smart" burglar you probably won't **** with it. Personally I'd countersink it into the wall, but its battery powered so if a "smart" burglar wants to rip it off the wall he can, but its still going to go off possibly in his hand before he places it in the bag.
Furthermore, they sell single infrared sensors that can be interfaced to one unit for remote sensing. Placed farther away from the unit with a short time delay a burglar (smart or stupid) won't be able to touch it in the very unlikely event that he'll even know what the hell the sound is once he triggers a sensor.
Thats great and I have a good security system. As I stated in my original post I don't think this "burglar bomb" is some sort end all be all security system. I think its a very clever idea and am considering buying one to implement into the system I already have.
If it was actually triggered by a burglar I'm not going to be worried if it takes more than an hour to air out.
Sounds like you have it all together. Good luck with your new security device.