Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > General Discussion Section > The Tech Zone
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here

Old 11-05-2009, 06:30 PM

Default Good Police Scanners?

Advertise Here

My mom is getting me a police scanner for christmas. I want to do some research beforehand on what type to get and figured this might be the best place to ask about them becaue I can't make sense of it myself. I know I want one that's hand held and comes with a cord so I can plug it into the wall rather than waste batteries. But other than that, I know nothing about them. If anyone knows about them and would like to chime in and tell me a little bit, what types and brands are good, I would most appreciate it. Just keep in mind that I don't want it to be too expensive, money is tight and she also has my brothers to think about.

Here are some general questions I have if that makes it easier:
What's the difference between digital and analog?
Which one is better?
Are there any that are easy to program?
What kind will last longest?
My aunt has a crystal one or something, what is that?
What are the best brands and models?

Feel free to answer the questions or just tell me whatever you happen to know.

Last edited by Vanilla.exe; 11-05-2009 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: typo'd the title
Old 11-05-2009, 09:35 PM

i have 3 bearcat scanners, 1 for home,1handheld and 1 mounted in the dash of my truck. i would say bearcat scanners are the most popular.

when buying one make sure its programmable, that means you can enter any frequency, the older scanners had crystals and if you wanted a certain frequency you had to buy the crystal for that frequency.

the scanners i have you can enter any frquency or you can scan for an unknown frequency using the upper and lower settings so for instance you enter { 162.000 lower then 179.000 upper} and it will scan everything in between those numbers and it will stop if there is a broadcast on any frequency and you can save it.

as for programming a digital scanner its as easy as hitting ( enter 162.55 enter} thats NOA WEATHER, thats all there is to it.

the net has some sites with frequencys listed for just about any area in the U.S. yahoo has some good ones and check radio shack for scanners, they have a good selection with some good explanation. if ya need any help, just ask.

Last edited by trukboss; 11-05-2009 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 11-05-2009, 09:50 PM
Fisherman

get a scanner that is ( Truncking ) this means it will follow transmissions that are switching frequencies. You can google it and learn alot more about trunking systems.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,553 Times in 1,045 Posts

If you get a non-truncating scanner it is nearly worthless because then you only hear one side, either Dispatch or the Officer.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Amercian

Digital is good! Stay away from the old crystal type. Look for trunking- This ties in several channels together. Lots of the bigger department and stations use this. Also depends of how well your mom is with electronics. Personally my mother enjoys the 20 channel urban bearcat. We bought her one with all the bells and whistles. She was overwhelmed to say the least. Depends on what mom wants to listen to as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bravo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2009, 08:03 AM

A quick look at this website http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?stid=25

Looks like you can get away with an Analog Trunking scanner. Looks like most public safety is still conventional and the State PD is on a State Radio System so an Analog Trunking scanner would be needed to listen to them.
So a Radio Shack Pro 95 or something along that lines would work.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:57 AM
I LOVED THIS F0RUM!

Thanked 32,939 Times in 12,712 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotline View Post
get a scanner that is ( Truncking ) this means it will follow transmissions that are switching frequencies. You can google it and learn alot more about trunking systems.
I have a RadioShack handheld with "triple trunking" but finally gave up trying to figure out how the extremely complicated thing works. It has a nice layer of dust on it now. I wish they made these things user friendly. I recommend getting one if you have a 210 IQ.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:49 PM

Thank you for the help and answering my questions everyone, I really appreciate it.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:27 PM

Default pro-92

i used to have one of these. complicated to get setup, but they have an input you can use to upload frequencies via computer. much easer than trying to spell out "LA county sherrif-1" (abbreviated of course). also nice when travelling, you can look up freqs for other states/cities and drop them on the scanner before you leave.