Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files



Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 10:37 AM
chipmunk chipmunk is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago burbs
Posts: 396
Thanks: 355
Thanked 407 Times in 141 Posts
Default Food stamp fiasco



Advertise Here

I read an article about the food stamp program and how many in Illinois are on it. I sit and struggle to put away extra for myself and my loved ones. Every year when I do my taxes the accountant looks at me and says "you have help dont you?" I dont have help, I just do without and somehow food gets put on the table. The article I read told of a mother of two who got $600 a month in stamps and how it lets her buy the more expensive food and more nutrition for her kids. I dont begrudge her kids eating well at all, Im just shocked that she gets so much money for it. I think I spend about 450 for four adults and that includes coffee and shampoo etc. Last month I was at elcheapo grocery store and admired the little boy in the cart ahead of me at checkout. I told myself, life will ease up soon and I too will be able to buy snacks and puddings etc. They wiped out their linc card (food stamps) and paid for a huge cart of food. I was dumbfounded. One son has been layed off from three jobs in the last year, another has his hours down to 20 or so a week, the third cant even find a job. I wish I had an extra $600 comming in but could not imagine taking food stamps. Am I stupid or is the world messed up? Sorry for the rant.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:47 AM
miss becky's Avatar
miss becky miss becky is offline
diversity is not strength
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 4,768
Thanks: 18,230
Thanked 6,510 Times in 2,367 Posts
Default

i can always tell b4 they even whip out the card
buggies piled high!!!!!!!!!


they got $ for weave/fingernails/cell phones/jewelry etc.
****es me off!!!!!!!!!!!!

but bay bay the day is coming when them funds gonna get slashed!!!!!!!!!!!
don't come gang bangin' on my door
why you was livin' for the moment and all laid up eatin' good i been stockpilin'!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-03-2009, 10:51 AM
123Testing 123Testing is offline
I love this forum
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Neither here, nor there
Posts: 2,957
Thanks: 3,216
Thanked 3,658 Times in 1,406 Posts
Default

I'm currently suffering from PRIDE Syndrome!!! I live in IL. I am a home OWNER... in other words... NO BANK LOAN HERE!!! Thanks to this Economic MESS... I'm working PART TIME as a Gas Station Cashier, and DAMN GRATEFUL to have this income!!!!!!!!!!!!! One little problem.... I didn't have the $$$ to pay the Real Estate Property Taxes this season. Today is Tuesday, and just a few days ago... Friday... my Property Taxes went to AUCTION!!!!

I made plenty of phone calls trying to figure out WHAT THE HELL THAT MEANS!!!! Best I can tell.... NOBODY can take my house away from me, UNLESS I'M 3 YRS BEHIND!!! This is my FIRST season.... however... whoever paid my Property Taxes in this Auction, can CHARGE ME UP TO 18% INTEREST!!!! and NO PARTIAL PAYMENTS ALLOWED!!! (has to be PAID IN FULL)

I'm thinking... this ALONE could prove my being eligible for HELP.... but guess what? NOPE!!! I got toooooo much pride!!!! Now I have to worry about the winter heating bills!!!! HOPING HOPING HOPING FOR MORE HOURS AT WORK!!!!!

I've started a few threads, about Gov Asst Programs, taking in Renters, Multi-Generational Households... and yet... somehow.... I seem to be the oddball, in my belief systems.

Last edited by 123Testing; 11-03-2009 at 10:57 AM..
Old 11-03-2009, 11:16 AM
cranky1950's Avatar
cranky1950 cranky1950 is offline
My Temperature is Right
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 5,578
Thanks: 1,323
Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,318 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Testing View Post
I'm currently suffering from PRIDE Syndrome!!! I live in IL. I am a home OWNER... in other words... NO BANK LOAN HERE!!! Thanks to this Economic MESS... I'm working PART TIME as a Gas Station Cashier, and DAMN GRATEFUL to have this income!!!!!!!!!!!!! One little problem.... I didn't have the $$$ to pay the Real Estate Property Taxes this season. Today is Tuesday, and just a few days ago... Friday... my Property Taxes went to AUCTION!!!!

I made plenty of phone calls trying to figure out WHAT THE HELL THAT MEANS!!!! Best I can tell.... NOBODY can take my house away from me, UNLESS I'M 3 YRS BEHIND!!! This is my FIRST season.... however... whoever paid my Property Taxes in this Auction, can CHARGE ME UP TO 18% INTEREST!!!! and NO PARTIAL PAYMENTS ALLOWED!!! (has to be PAID IN FULL)

I'm thinking... this ALONE could prove my being eligible for HELP.... but guess what? NOPE!!! I got toooooo much pride!!!! Now I have to worry about the winter heating bills!!!! HOPING HOPING HOPING FOR MORE HOURS AT WORK!!!!!

I've started a few threads, about Gov Asst Programs, taking in Renters, Multi-Generational Households... and yet... somehow.... I seem to be the oddball, in my belief systems.
Set up a christmas club account and pay into it religiously weekly and when the check comes use it to pay your taxes.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cranky1950 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2009, 11:33 AM
ImbriD ImbriD is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,566
Thanks: 500
Thanked 1,378 Times in 668 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss becky View Post
i can always tell b4 they even whip out the card
buggies piled high!!!!!!!!!


they got $ for weave/fingernails/cell phones/jewelry etc.
****es me off!!!!!!!!!!!!
Happens constantly around here. People buying crab legs, lobster and steak with their ABT (food stamps) card then getting into their new or relatively new luxury vehicle (Mercedes, Lexus, Caddy, etc). Like Miss Becky stated, they're easy to spot, especially with their "weave/fingernails/cell phones/jewelry" and attitude while standing in the checkout line.

Makes you want to grab them and say "I'm paying for this sh*t". But then again they'd probably just laugh.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ImbriD For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2009, 11:37 AM
123Testing 123Testing is offline
I love this forum
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Neither here, nor there
Posts: 2,957
Thanks: 3,216
Thanked 3,658 Times in 1,406 Posts
Default

Here's a real kick in the butt..... the Current MANAGER of the Gas Station/Convenience Store that I'm working at.... GUESS WHAT?????

She USED TO BE a Real Estate AGent!!!! Now she's a Manager of a Gas Station. This is a woman that is in her 50's!!! She spent a good chunk of her life selling/buying Real Estate.

Ain't THIS A SIGN OF THE TIMES????

(Now that I think about it.... MAYBE I should talk with my Manager about what it means to have your Property Taxes sold at Auction? Does this differ from state to state?)
Old 11-03-2009, 11:41 AM
chipmunk chipmunk is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago burbs
Posts: 396
Thanks: 355
Thanked 407 Times in 141 Posts
Default

It probably differs from county to county too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chipmunk For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2009, 11:44 AM
roro's Avatar
roro roro is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 1,055
Thanks: 1,287
Thanked 1,049 Times in 494 Posts
Default

wow. people like that disgust me.

how do they even get the government to give them that much money?

i have heard that people that actually NEED food stamps can often only get on emergency 3 month food stamps... how are these people who are abusing the system so terribly get so much money for food??

---

i have a friend that is on food stamps. she is married and has 2 kids. her husband hasn't worked for over 2 years & the last job he had, he got fired for because he smelled bad. (that's pretty bad, i know)... she hasn't worked for over a year.. she got fired from walmart & they are STILL paying her unemployment. she got a lot of money back on her taxes, because she squirted out a couple rugrats and she gets foodstamps, unemployment, is on section 8 & every other government thing she can get on....

but then i have a friend that actually works and is struggling and he was only able to get 3 month emergency food stamps.

i don't get it. you bust your butt & get ripped off.. seems like if you're lazy and stupid you get everything handed over to you. :/
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to roro For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2009, 02:14 PM
razadp razadp is offline
Trapper
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NH-USA
Age: 48
Posts: 807
Thanks: 105
Thanked 514 Times in 311 Posts
Default

Yes - tax laws differ from state to state. In some it just means they hold a lien for first payment (ie IF you sell, they get paid). In others it means they have the right to force your house to auction after 2 years unpaid. just happened to be reading an newspaper article about this yesterday.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to razadp For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2009, 03:02 PM
anne36's Avatar
anne36 anne36 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,913
Thanks: 4,577
Thanked 2,717 Times in 1,262 Posts
Default

chipmunk, I can totally relate to you. This past year has been rough. Never had any form of aid but we have used our life savings to buy groceries. layoffs and reduced hours have wrecked us.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anne36 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2009, 03:04 PM
anne36's Avatar
anne36 anne36 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,913
Thanks: 4,577
Thanked 2,717 Times in 1,262 Posts
Default

PS, I know people that have tried to sell thier food stamps because they cant eat all the food it buys. A family of 2 was spending as much as I do in a month on food.
The Following User Says Thank You to anne36 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2009, 03:32 PM
bushwacker73 bushwacker73 is offline
I love this forum
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 509
Thanks: 319
Thanked 247 Times in 151 Posts
Default

I was watching NBC nightly news last night "11-03-09", Brian Williams said that currently 90% percent of African American children will recieve some type of aid "welfare" during they're childhood. Here's the @sskicker.. 90% percent of African American women have an army of crumb-snatchers, not one or two, more like two to five..

Last edited by bushwacker73; 11-03-2009 at 04:49 PM..
Old 11-03-2009, 04:45 PM
bulrush's Avatar
bulrush bulrush is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 2,354
Thanks: 70
Thanked 1,208 Times in 727 Posts
Default

Chipmunk,
I believe food stamp allotments vary by country, or even city because cost of food varies somewhat. Food costs much more in, say, New York City than in Podunk, Iowa.
The Following User Says Thank You to bulrush For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2009, 04:50 PM
miss becky's Avatar
miss becky miss becky is offline
diversity is not strength
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 4,768
Thanks: 18,230
Thanked 6,510 Times in 2,367 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImbriD View Post
Happens constantly around here. People buying crab legs, lobster and steak with their ABT (food stamps) card then getting into their new or relatively new luxury vehicle (Mercedes, Lexus, Caddy, etc). Like Miss Becky stated, they're easy to spot, especially with their "weave/fingernails/cell phones/jewelry" and attitude while standing in the checkout line.

Makes you want to grab them and say "I'm paying for this sh*t". But then again they'd probably just laugh.
oh yeah.... the "tude"...how could i have not mentioned that?!
kinda like i got right now jes thinkin' about it!
lemme git outta here b4 i git in trouble!

Last edited by miss becky; 11-03-2009 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: my bad
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miss becky For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2009, 04:52 PM
miss becky's Avatar
miss becky miss becky is offline
diversity is not strength
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 4,768
Thanks: 18,230
Thanked 6,510 Times in 2,367 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roro View Post
wow. people like that disgust me.

how do they even get the government to give them that much money?

i have heard that people that actually NEED food stamps can often only get on emergency 3 month food stamps... how are these people who are abusing the system so terribly get so much money for food??

---

i have a friend that is on food stamps. she is married and has 2 kids. her husband hasn't worked for over 2 years & the last job he had, he got fired for because he smelled bad. (that's pretty bad, i know)... she hasn't worked for over a year.. she got fired from walmart & they are STILL paying her unemployment. she got a lot of money back on her taxes, because she squirted out a couple rugrats and she gets foodstamps, unemployment, is on section 8 & every other government thing she can get on....

but then i have a friend that actually works and is struggling and he was only able to get 3 month emergency food stamps.

i don't get it. you bust your butt & get ripped off.. seems like if you're lazy and stupid you get everything handed over to you. :/
that's how it works!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to miss becky For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2009, 05:05 PM
ryan6864 ryan6864 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: TX
Posts: 2,448
Thanks: 880
Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,039 Posts
Default

lets see they get

-free/low/no cost housing
-free food
-free reduced school lunch
-free low cost day care
-reduced utilities
-payed to pump out more kids
(every wonder why they all have so many kids just about the same age apart, they get less money as kids get older)
-now they get those trac phones for free
(look at your cell phone bill your paying for it)

no wonder this country i sso screwed up, im almost looking towards it coming down im sick and tired of supporting others who put nothing back into the system!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ryan6864 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2009, 05:07 PM
bulrush's Avatar
bulrush bulrush is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 2,354
Thanks: 70
Thanked 1,208 Times in 727 Posts
Default

I hear you, Ryan, but look who put these crazy congress-critters in office: the voters!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bulrush For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2009, 05:10 PM
trainedtosave trainedtosave is offline
I love this forum
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: TN
Posts: 1,711
Thanks: 1,612
Thanked 734 Times in 446 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Testing View Post
I'm currently suffering from PRIDE Syndrome!!! I live in IL. I am a home OWNER... in other words... NO BANK LOAN HERE!!! Thanks to this Economic MESS... I'm working PART TIME as a Gas Station Cashier, and DAMN GRATEFUL to have this income!!!!!!!!!!!!! One little problem.... I didn't have the $$$ to pay the Real Estate Property Taxes this season. Today is Tuesday, and just a few days ago... Friday... my Property Taxes went to AUCTION!!!!

I made plenty of phone calls trying to figure out WHAT THE HELL THAT MEANS!!!! Best I can tell.... NOBODY can take my house away from me, UNLESS I'M 3 YRS BEHIND!!! This is my FIRST season.... however... whoever paid my Property Taxes in this Auction, can CHARGE ME UP TO 18% INTEREST!!!! and NO PARTIAL PAYMENTS ALLOWED!!! (has to be PAID IN FULL)

I'm thinking... this ALONE could prove my being eligible for HELP.... but guess what? NOPE!!! I got toooooo much pride!!!! Now I have to worry about the winter heating bills!!!! HOPING HOPING HOPING FOR MORE HOURS AT WORK!!!!!

I've started a few threads, about Gov Asst Programs, taking in Renters, Multi-Generational Households... and yet... somehow.... I seem to be the oddball, in my belief systems.
This is why I would never buy a house. You buy a house, you are a slave for the next 30 years at least. I would not like to be locked in to one place, either. I need to be mobile, just pack up the few things I own and head on if I need to.

Also, if I ever really needed food stamps, it would not bother me to apply for them, but I would really have to need them to do so. I view money differently than most though. I see it as a tool, nothing more. I could walk away from a 20K debt and not feel the least bit bad about it. I would do that before I became a debt slave.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:21 PM
ryan6864 ryan6864 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: TX
Posts: 2,448
Thanks: 880
Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,039 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulrush View Post
I hear you, Ryan, but look who put these crazy congress-critters in office: the voters!
i dont have much fate in our voting system these programs as well as all the bills that are being passed right now dont know any party lines they would be in place no matter who was in office. for whatever reason the middle class is a target right now.
The Following User Says Thank You to ryan6864 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2009, 08:11 PM
solinvictus's Avatar
solinvictus solinvictus is offline
Getting there....
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,229
Thanks: 58
Thanked 890 Times in 396 Posts
Default

That's because we allow people who are on welfare and the government dole as a lifestyle choice to vote in elections. We've created a permanent underclass in the U.S. that chooses this lifestyle and consistently votes in politicians who will support their right to take the money from productive people so that they may live and eat at our expense. In my view, if you don't pay taxes, you don't vote. Period.

* Also, yes, I've seen the attitude and buggies with EBT cards first hand. We were behind a woman with multiple children who had one buggy of EBT/WIC eligible stuff, a second buggy of cash purchases, and then walked out to an Escalade to carry it all home. No lie, no exaggeration: a welfare/WIC recipient riding off in an Escalade. Our tax money at work.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to solinvictus For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Kevin Felts 2006 - 2012,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net