Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Hunting and Trapping General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 11-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Custom User Title

Thanked 2,092 Times in 1,002 Posts
Default survival hunting slingshot?

Advertise Here

So i would like to pack something to potentially kill small game, but dont want to pack a pistol for legal reasons. I dont want to carry a bow because that would be much to large.
Do you guys know of any high end brands that sell super powerful slingshots? I am having trouble finding any good specialized ones.
Ive seen alot of the generic cheapy plastic ones like this http://www.pyramydair.com/images/dai...ngshot-b52.jpg
Will these work at all for what im trying to do? Im looking to spend like 50
dollars mabeye less or more. Its for killing squirrels, rabbits, mabeye birds.
If anyone has experiences hunting with slingshots could you share tips? Is it difficult, hard? Does a good slingshot have significant force to kill small game?
I may also consider a slingshot bow.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Over taxed and under paid

Justin

You don't need a super powerful slingshot and there is no reason to purchase a custom whiz bang slingshot. You can get decent ones at Wal Mart for under $10.00.

There are a few things to consider. First is to use good ammo and .45 to .54 caliber lead balls are the best. Second, is to practice enough to hit what you aim at. Third, don't use a slingshot with a power-band that is heavier than you can use comfortably. Last, but certainly not the least important, learn what the maximum range you can deliver a lethal shot. For most people that is about 20 - 30 yards.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to swamprat1958 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2009, 09:32 PM

If you have any slingshot questions, the man to ask is Jorg. If your looking for a sling-bow, go here, http://www.wildernessoutfittersarche...DangleWeb.html . Make sure you get a slingshot that's foldable if you want to pack it and that it has a wrist brace. One that I'm going to buy is the Trumark Fs-1. It has a storage space in the handle that you can store ammo and stuff like matches in. Like swamprat said, you don't need to spend that much money. So far the best one I've found is the Fs-1.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:35 PM
Merry CHRISTmas !

Thanked 48,379 Times in 20,645 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Try this site too.

http://www.slingshots.com/
Old 11-03-2009, 04:47 PM

And if you want to learn some more about slingshots, go here, http://www.melchiormenzel.de/
Old 11-03-2009, 06:38 PM
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW

Thanked 1,972 Times in 905 Posts

Dave Canterbury posted a youtube video a few days ago demonstrating a bow made with a caribiner and slingshot bands. Check it out.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:35 PM

oh yeah, I saw that one, looked like it wobbled a lot...
Old 11-04-2009, 10:00 PM
Custom User Title

Thanked 2,092 Times in 1,002 Posts

Thanks for the good advice, i will pick up one and do some target practicing soon. It will also be good for hunting in areas where you wouldnt normally want to hunt with a gun (to close to roads or homes), like my friends private property.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:10 PM

i carry a pair of the black bands along with a couple zip ties in my survival kit
Old 11-06-2009, 08:09 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,052 Times in 494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz View Post
If you have any slingshot questions, the man to ask is Jorg. If your looking for a sling-bow, YouTube - Preping the Sling Bow for a Big Game Hunt go here, http://www.wildernessoutfittersarche...DangleWeb.html . Make sure you get a slingshot that's foldable if you want to pack it and that it has a wrist brace. One that I'm going to buy is the Trumark Fs-1. It has a storage space in the handle that you can store ammo and stuff like matches in. Like swamprat said, you don't need to spend that much money. So far the best one I've found is the Fs-1.
that video was pretty cool! lol i watched all the videos for the attachments he made for it. pretty sweet! can use it for small game, big game AND fishing! i'm going to have to make one of these & test it out on some birds in the backyard (hopefully not song birds lol).
Old 12-05-2009, 01:22 AM
Target Shooter

I remember reading in Field and Stream years ago about an ex astronaut who used to carry a wrist rocket while big game hunting. He'd have a game bird license and apparently kept the camp pot stocked with grouse using his trust sling. Lighter than most .22 pistols and quiet.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Southern Man

As a kid, I hunted for many years with a homemade slingshot and killed plenty of game. I made it from hardwood(maple) and the rubber came from inner tubes from old tires. A small piece of leather to hold the shot. Killed game birds, rabbits, squirrels, even a couple of woodchucks. A woodchuck peering out of his hole was no match for me and my slingshot. It's a good weapon to have for little or no money.

I still use a homemade one to chase away stray dogs etc. A pop in the ass and they're on their way.
Attached Thumbnails
P1010139.jpg   P1010138.jpg  

Last edited by Uwharrie; 12-05-2009 at 09:21 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Uwharrie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2009, 07:05 PM
The last of the Ravens

Thanked 9,123 Times in 816 Posts

Quote:
I made it from hardwood(maple) and the rubber came from inner tubes from old tires. A small piece of leather to hold the shot.
reminds me of what my dad did as a kid, used it to kill rats. imo, slingshots have been way under rated when it comes to hunting/survival...
Old 01-25-2010, 04:13 PM

Default hunting with slingshots/catapult

Over here in England I use my catapult to hunt small game mainly Rabbits. With the aid of a lamp i venture out on windy nights and shoot them at about 15 yrds.The best rubber i have found is 1/16" pure gum rubber i cut my bands from this tapered from 3/4"at the fork to 1/2" at the pouch this tapering reduces weight at the pouch end and so increases speed of the projectile.For hunting i only use lead as this ensures a clean kill.The catapult takes some mastering but its worth the effort because it is a formidble weapon in the right hands and can and has provided me and my family with many free meals.A couple more points worth bearing in mind are rubber does not like uv rays or heat so when storing your catapult keep it dark and cool and when you make your catapult learn to tie the strangulation knot for your band and pouch attachments. Hope this is of interest atb Norse
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to norse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2010, 08:54 PM
Recent Blog:
Tuefel Hunden

Have a few sling shots and they are cheap Wal-martish and work great have a few truemarks as well. We made the slingbow like http://www.wildernessoutfittersarche...DangleWeb.html
Works great got around 30 bucks in it. Sling shots are great for grouse, rabbit, squirrel and other small game the sling bo is great for fishing with a kit see WOA site for that too. I have more money in my arrows than anything else?
Old 01-26-2010, 02:25 AM
Survivor

I still use the slingshots I have had for many years and use them. As a matter of fact I just bought another slingshot one at a yard sale last week.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:02 PM

I have a Marksman 3040 folder. Basic but I like it. It's the same I had as a kid. Back then me and my friend would have contests to see who could get the most frogs in the swamps. We usually had a pretty substantial pile. I also shot a doe in the head once at night in my orchard. It didn't kill her, but she sure wobbled off goofy. Slingshots are great tools for small game and can be easily modified for other applications.

One of my favorite things as a kid was heading into the woods and seeing how I fared on squirrels and such. Still makes me smile.
The Following User Says Thank You to njenkins For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2010, 08:46 AM

i bought one at wallmart and they worked very well for birds and rabbits takes practice
Old 04-05-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_baker View Post
So i would like to pack something to potentially kill small game... Does a good slingshot have significant force to kill small game?
I may also consider a slingshot bow.
Hey Justin, I am the owner and craftsman of A+ Slingshots here in the US. Check out my website... https://sites.google.com/site/aplusslingshots/
I think you will find what you have been looking for.
I designed my PS-1 Pocket Shooter with many of your thoughts in mind.