Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 10-31-2009, 08:43 AM
Whippersnapper

Thanked 2,105 Times in 1,252 Posts
Default How much ammunition does a soldier carry?

Advertise Here

I was just curious, How much ammunition would your average infantry soldier carry if he were expecting a fire fight?
What’s the standard amount?
(this is excluding mortars and such- how much ammunition for his primary weapon?)
Oh, and how many Shot shells would a military shot gunner carry?

I know I am giving little info to work off, but please try.

Thanks a bunch
GENT
The Following User Says Thank You to GENT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2009, 09:04 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,680 Times in 2,240 Posts

I read a post that in nam they carried 300 rds standard. The troops would take 600 if they thought they were going to get into a big one
Old 10-31-2009, 09:13 AM
Inglourious Basterd

Thanked 3,387 Times in 1,471 Posts

Quote:
I read a post that in nam they carried 300 rds standard.
I also heard that (during Vietnam)they only loaded 16rds. in their 20rd M16 mags ,because the springs would wear out quickly if fully loaded.

I don't know what a soldier carries today on average.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:17 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,680 Times in 2,240 Posts

yeah i read that too ,the clips sucked. i dont think i read it on this forum
Old 10-31-2009, 09:30 AM
Do you smell that?

Thanked 48,216 Times in 3,174 Posts

All "clips" suck. Magazines onthe other hand, function much better.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to angeryamerican For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2009, 09:36 AM
Marine 24601

Well, that depends.

When I was in the Marines (1990-1998) the basic rifleman carried 7 30round magazines for the M16 so that would be 210 rounds in magazines. In pack carried a reload block for one complete reload.

Now the poor Marine carring the Squad Automatic Weapon carried much much more along with his A-gunner and the other two members of the fire team carried a belt or two to feed the hungry M60 or M249.

The the fireteam leader also carried several gernades for the M203 attached to his M16.

All of these get burned up really quickly in a fire fight.

Last edited by MCraider; 10-31-2009 at 09:53 AM..
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MCraider For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2009, 09:42 AM
11B20 - Status Inactive

Thanked 4,926 Times in 2,343 Posts

At least 210 rds., for m16, I believe the saw gunners got 3-200rd. boxes. That was all we had for small arms in my platoon. We always grabbed more than the minimum since we didn't have to walk around with it. My helmet bag was stuffed with underwear, a few mre's (or Chef Boyardee :D) and about 8-10 mags. I only kept 4 on my vest and one in my weapon. It is too cumbersome to carry too much on your chest when you have to worry about directing your crew, handling the radio and maintaining your own weapon.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GoodOlFroathyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2009, 10:26 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,208 Times in 716 Posts

It really depends on the type of unit. An infantry man would carry more since that's their job.

A truck driver less since their job is to get out of dodge, and fast.

A Ranger, Recon Marine, LRRP, SF, SEAL etc... would carry a lot more since they may be out and about a lot longer between resupplies. Their mission is simply to go farther faster and quietly, so no air drops of supplies.

The new mags can stay loaded for a long time with no ill effects so 20 round mags would have 19-20 and 30s would have 29-30, since the newer silicon springs have fantastic memory. Same springs the cops use where their weapon is loaded 24/7/365.

A basic load though would be 12-30 round mags. 3 in each of 4 mag pouches for a total of 360 plus a bandoleer or 2 for reloading the mags. Colt ships their M4s with 7-8 brand new 30 round mags.

I was in an armor unit, Scout PLT, and our basic load included up to 10,000 rounds per track. That's 5.56, .50, .45, and "low pressure" grenades. These were M113s. This didn't include LAWs or explosives or other missiles(AT4, Dragons, Stingers etc...)

The tanks carried around 56 for the main gun and +/-5,000 for each of the coax and the M85. The machine guns can go through 600+ rounds suppression fire and then <300 sustained, per minute.

I think the grenade carrier(vest) holds about 30 rounds of low pressure.

As an end note; the mission decides the amount and type of weapons and ammo carried. Also ammo and supplies are redistributed often within a squad and PLT.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mightyoak For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2009, 11:04 AM
Keeper of Tomes

Thanked 1,638 Times in 732 Posts

i carried 10 30rd mags for my M4. I also would put another 4 or 5 mags. Ultimately though i would carry as much as i physically able to and still be able to fight efficiently. Some people carried more, some less, it depended on your strengths and the weight of your other equipment. Your priorities should be water bullets food.

POGS carried 7 30 mags. I honestly dont see how they could be comfortable with that. There were several times i had to dig in my bag for a mag. People talk about fire discipline but sometimes you have to suppress in order to keep from being overran or to cover another squads movements. You can easily dump 3 or 4 mags this way.

Say you've just been ambushed. Your gonna return with as much firepower as possible in order to move to cover (-2 mags). Once you reach cover you maintain fire discipline (-1 mag) Order comes down to provide suppressive fire while squad B maneuvers into a flanking position to take up a LOA (-3 mags). With just something common as this youll need plenty of ammo. This scenario would only take maybe 15 mins and your already down 6 mags and the fight isnt even over yet.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to urban For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2009, 11:08 AM
Whippersnapper

Thanks, this is exactly the type of info i wanted, great stuff (and special thanks to anyone with personal experience...)

I dont suppose anyone knows how many shotgun shells would be carried by a shotgunner?
50? 100?
Old 10-31-2009, 11:22 AM
Keeper of Tomes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENT View Post
Thanks, this is exactly the type of info i wanted, great stuff (and special thanks to anyone with personal experience...)

I dont suppose anyone knows how many shotgun shells would be carried by a shotgunner?
50? 100?
Tough question. The shotgun is very much a specialized weapon. If your trying to use it as if it was a MBR i would go 100rds minimum. We carried a shotgun with us but it was more of a squad asset like our scoped m14. Someone would carry it in addition to their MBR.

* Just texted a buddy of mine and he said he carried approx. one half a normal combat load. So that would be 105rds minimum and 150rds preferred. He said the problem is that the rate of fire is far less then the MBRs as well as the reload times (he carried a pump) this reduced the need for some much ammo.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to urban For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2009, 11:25 AM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 3,493 Times in 1,496 Posts

While running recon (Special Forces CCN out of Dang) into cambadio and loas in the nam police action I carried the following

Car 15 or AK47 different missions different weapon

600 rounds of ammo
2 regular grenades and 6 anti personal grenades.

(wrapped the regular grenades on my shoulder harness with black elect tape then pulled the pins out once I was on the ground. That way you could rip the grnade off and throw it without having to pull the pin which required using two hands. You could fire with one hand and throw with the other.)

Had, I think six canteen pouches on the web belt in which I carried my mags, clips, what ever you want to call them (in combat who gives a sssssssssh about small ssssssssssssh like a name) As far as I know, no weapon required a true clip and some men called them mags and some men called them clips.

had several rounds in the back pack as well. 6 anti personal (small gernades) would fit in a canteen pouch, (might have been three, pouch on each side of the belt (incase one arm was injured you still had an arm on the other side with a matching set up of toys.

I do not mean to be rude, but this is why I laugh at people who have 1000 or more rounds and put all their faith in numbers of rounds carried or stored.

In a true, defense position firefight (without and army supply system) you can not stock enough ammo. Put your faith in the amount of ammo, you will die.

Put your faith in your skills and your ability to evade and fight another day.

later
wayne
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to HaroldWayneHamlin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2009, 11:38 AM
Keeper of Tomes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldWayneHamlin View Post
While running recon (Special Forces CCN out of Dang) into cambadio and loas in the nam police action I carried the following

600 rounds of ammo

(wrapped the regular grenades on my shoulder harness with black elect tape then pulled the pins out once I was on the ground. That way you could rip the grnade off and throw it without having to pull the pin which required using two hands. You could fire with one hand and throw with the other.)

Had, I think six canteen pouches on the web belt in which I carried my mags, clips, what ever you want to call them (in combat who gives a sssssssssh about small ssssssssssssh like a name) As far as I know, no weapon required a true clip and some men called them mags and some men called them clips.

had several rounds in the back pack as well. 6 anti personal (small gernades) would fit in a canteen pouch, (might have been three, pouch on each side of the belt (incase one arm was injured you still had an arm on the other side with a matching set up of toys.

I do not mean to be rude, but this is why I laugh at people who have 1000 or more rounds and put all their faith in numbers of rounds carried or stored.

In a true, defense position firefight (without and army supply system) you can not stock enough ammo. Put your faith in the amount of ammo, you will die.

later
wayne
Thats sounds about right. A good old school explanation.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:54 AM
Carpe Diem, Noctem Habere

Avg. Marine grunt carries 7 mags loaded with 28 rds. and 2 frags.
The Following User Says Thank You to fs19 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2009, 12:03 PM
Whippersnapper

Thanks all.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:17 PM
Getting there....

I carried 7x30 round mags for the M-16 or 4 spares for the 1911.
The Following User Says Thank You to solinvictus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2009, 12:22 PM
11B20 - Status Inactive

Thanked 4,926 Times in 2,343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENT View Post

50? 100?
Our shotguns were only used to breach doors. There wasn't very much ammo carried as they are utility weapon and not a force on force weapon.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodOlFroathyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2009, 12:33 PM
Information is Ammunition

Thanked 26,896 Times in 10,484 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Outstanding Firearms Post Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 5

Just to add on the shotgun, because ammo is always a concern with them:

I work security, and I own a Maverick 88 Security version which holds 7+1 shells and a 6 shot side saddle. I'd gone out with it once or twice on jobs while thinking that I'd like a few more shots than that to bring along in the case of a LONG assignment.

So when I upgraded my stock to a Knoxx, I also ordered a bandoleer sling, which adds 25 shells. It may seem a bit much, but one of the strengths of the shotgun besides its power potential is its adaptability for possible situations. The right shell for the right job, and in sufficient (hopefully) quantities to help in an emergency.

It added quite a bit of weight to the gun, but it is manageable. And after Hurricane Ike when I had to grab the shotgun and go- I had 38 shells already with the gun. After Katrina- I was glad for the added firepower, whether it was 'too much' or not.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldWayneHamlin View Post

600 rounds of ammo

later
wayne
What did you do if you didn't expend all of your grenades?

I'm assuming you kept the pins

Or expended all ammo
Old 10-31-2009, 12:41 PM
You looking at me!

Thanked 3,757 Times in 1,697 Posts

Whats a "low pressure" grenade?