Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Books, Movies & Stories
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 10-28-2009, 04:33 PM

Default Any other books like "Lucifer's Hammer"?

Advertise Here

I read this book last summer and IMHO it was pretty good. I wonder if there are other good post-apocalyptic books around? I've been checking Wikipedia entries but most of post-apocalyptic books are purely entertaiment and don't have any science behind them like "Lucifer's Hammer" had.

I heard "One Second After" is readable but I wonder if it's worth 20+ it costs here in Finland.

Are there any good books that don't involve entire communites but lone inviduals trying to survive alone in post-apocalyptic world?
Old 10-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Prepared

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Try these stories first, since they are online and free.

Then start on this list.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ZenEngineer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2009, 01:16 AM
Svensk hamster

Thanked 3,089 Times in 1,412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aop View Post
I read this book last summer and IMHO it was pretty good. I wonder if there are other good post-apocalyptic books around? I've been checking Wikipedia entries but most of post-apocalyptic books are purely entertaiment and don't have any science behind them like "Lucifer's Hammer" had.

I heard "One Second After" is readable but I wonder if it's worth 20+ it costs here in Finland.

Are there any good books that don't involve entire communites but lone inviduals trying to survive alone in post-apocalyptic world?
One Second After is worth the money!

Just one individual surviving alone? The Road comes pretty close. If you consider zombie-invasion a plausible scenario, then you could check out Day By Day Armageddon. It is written like a blog where one survivor writes about his ordeals.
The Following User Says Thank You to indoorsman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Prepared

The list ZenEngineer gave is a good one, but there's a lot to choose from there.

I loosely call The Stand, by Stephen King, Swan Song, by Robert McCammon, and Lucifer's Hammer, by Niven and Pournelle the "big three." I sort of lump those three together because they are all pretty long (LH is the shortest of the three), they are all post-apocalyptic epics, they were all written around the same time (1977, 1978, and 1987), and I really enjoyed all of them.

I also like that between the three, they cover different apocalyptic scenarios - comet strike, plague, and nuclear war.

I personally rank the three as follows (for personal reasons):
1. The Stand
2. Lucifer's Hammer
3. Swan Song

Earth Abides, by George Stewart I liked a lot too. It's not as captivating as the above three (while reading it) in my opinion, but I find myself thinking about it a lot. It's one of those books that you keep thinking about afterward, even though while you were reading it it just seemed "OK."

Oh, and The Road, by Cormac McCarthy is noteworthy too, IMO.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:56 PM
Recent Blog:
Caseyboy

Thanked 4,339 Times in 869 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

You might want to visit www.lmichaelrusin.com and read the free preview of Avalon. Thre is also a lengthy up through Chapeter 25 I believe here on the forum. Read it and you decide if it's anything like Lucifer's Hammer.
Caseyboy
Old 02-24-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
The list ZenEngineer gave is a good one, but there's a lot to choose from there.

I loosely call The Stand, by Stephen King, Swan Song, by Robert McCammon, and Lucifer's Hammer, by Niven and Pournelle the "big three." I sort of lump those three together because they are all pretty long (LH is the shortest of the three), they are all post-apocalyptic epics, they were all written around the same time (1977, 1978, and 1987), and I really enjoyed all of them.

I also like that between the three, they cover different apocalyptic scenarios - comet strike, plague, and nuclear war.

I personally rank the three as follows (for personal reasons):
1. The Stand
2. Lucifer's Hammer
3. Swan Song

Earth Abides, by George Stewart I liked a lot too. It's not as captivating as the above three (while reading it) in my opinion, but I find myself thinking about it a lot. It's one of those books that you keep thinking about afterward, even though while you were reading it it just seemed "OK."

Oh, and The Road, by Cormac McCarthy is noteworthy too, IMO.
Those first two are great books IMO, so I'm putting your third on my list; thanks.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:14 AM

One of the best, even if 1950's, was "Alas Babylon>by Frank Herbert.

More recently are "Patriots," "One Second After," and the free online, "Lights Out."
Old 02-26-2010, 07:50 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 3,499 Times in 1,497 Posts

Are there any good books that don't involve entire communites but lone inviduals trying to survive alone in post-apocalyptic world

end quote

It is very hard to carry a complete story with only one character. Jerry D. Young has done it a couple of times with short stories here on this board but I am sure it would be hard for even Jerry to create a full length novel with only one character.

Freedomofthehills has come about the closest that I know of but even he has some interaction with others.

If you are anyone else knows of any such animals please let us know here.

later
wayne.

PS I do have a story about a texas ranger where half the book is only about him after he excapes from the indians. someone sent it to me a couple of years ago.

will post it within the next week or so. Just too busy now to search for it amoung my files.
The Following User Says Thank You to HaroldWayneHamlin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2010, 07:41 PM

Swan Song By Robbert M. McCammon is one of my favorite books of all time!

I read it as a lad back in 87, and re-read it every 3 or 4 years. Its that good.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Survivalnerd

Children Of The Dust by Louise Lawrence...scared the crap out of me when I first read it as a child...but it's what got me into survival...
Old 03-03-2010, 11:22 PM
Trapper

On The Beach by Nevil Shute. Walter M. Miller, Jr.'s, A Canticle for Leibowitz (although it is a small community). You might also like The Year of the Quiet Sun by Wilson Tucker, technically a time travel novel.

Hiroshima by John Hersey gets my highest praise. This sad and lovely walk through the lives of six real-life atom bomb survivors made me realize how lucky we've been for the period of grace in which we now live.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Learning

Thanked 3,733 Times in 1,918 Posts

for a book about a lone individual think Wolf and Iron.

I tried reading Swan Song, a little too long for me, I gave up. I am sure all the characters some how come together, but...

Another one about an individual is The Rift, about the New Madrid fault letting loose.