Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 10-24-2009, 01:51 PM

Default Helle knife?

Advertise Here

Does anybody have experience with this brand? I'm looking at the Helle speider.
Do you know if its easy to sharpen and if it holds a good edge?
Old 10-26-2009, 01:57 AM
bushmaster

Easily some of the best knives I own. Easy to sharpen, and they hold an amazing edge. I lost a bit of fingertip to not giving my Helle Brakar the respect it needed. you should note that the speider does not have a laminated blade, so it may not keep it's edge as well.

I have an Odel, Brakar and a Lappland so far. Thinking pretty hard about getting a Harding as well.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:57 PM

It says that its triple-laminated stainless steel. I might be wrong though.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:05 PM
Hiker

Great knives IMO.
I owned the Fjellkniven for awhile and regret selling it. Easy to sharpen and it got very very sharp!
Old 10-27-2009, 02:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,647 Posts

I have the jaegermeister and wouldnt part with it for love nor money. I am definately a fan of the brand since I bought mine. My brand new kukri still even comes second to it.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,189 Times in 3,089 Posts

I really like their blades and I have three each of both Fish knife models, a Storm, a Safari, a Mountain & Mountain Brook, a Wind, two Earths, two Fours, an Eggen and three very early Laplanders—one larger, one smaller and one current size (=11 models)…

I got my first one (three actually) about 30 yrs ago from a Cutler’s Shop around the corner from my Oslo hotel and have bought a couple, three each time I’ve been back…

I want to pick up two Besseggen, a Fossekallen, a Hunter Champion and maybe a Harmony Plus this Winter (=14) so that will leave me just the very small blades/handles (4) and a few others to get to complete the line (25)…

The only ones I won’t get is the Veidemann as I don’t care for gut hooks and the Helle 75 Anniversary is waiting for me at my local cutlers…

Translated from their catalogue:
Quote:
A Helle knife is not an ornament. It's made to be used.
Please also be aware that some knives are better suited to one type of use than others. Therefore, use some time before you decide what Hell knife that best suits your needs.
All their blades, like most Nordic knives, are easy to sharpen and the steel readily takes an edge...How long it retains that edge is dependent on the steel, the job being done and the honer's ability...I always keep a it fits into its own handle sharpening steel that Gerber made and use that for minor touch ups in the field

Translated from their catalogue:
Quote:
The steel in Helle knives is unique
The differences between a Helle knife and other knives are many. The biggest difference lies in our triple laminated stainless steel blade. The core is made of high alloy steel which gives it a lasting, razor-sharp edge. This harder layer cannot however exclude the threat of rust or breakage.
The Speiderkniven is considered a child's knife, small handle, double quillion so the hand doesn’t slip forward…It’s supposed to be the Norwegian Scout’s Knife since 1955 and I have no other knowledge of the knife other then dimensions…95mm/3.74” birch handle, 90mm/3.54” Sandvik 12c27 blade – 185mm/7.367" OAL N. B. it is not triple laminated steel...

Another Norwegian knife company that is very good but more expensive then the Helle brand is Brusletto…I’ve only got eight of theirs and they all are damn fine knives

A Finnish company that is really very good is Marttiini again, I’ve only got eight of theirs, alas

Did I mention I collect Scandi/Nordic blades?

Last edited by SeekHer; 10-28-2009 at 02:50 PM..
Old 10-27-2009, 07:45 PM

''185mm/7.367" OAL N. B. it is not triple laminated steel...''

What does that mean? And I'm thirteen so its perfect for me =)
Old 10-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Target Shooter

haha.. fossekallen.. I shot one of those by accident once. Lotsa norwegian names here
Old 10-28-2009, 01:45 PM
Take me out to the black

Thanked 2,793 Times in 1,286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz View Post

OAL generally means "over all length".

Laminated steel is the (generally) Scandinavian method of laminating a softer layer of steel around in between two harder layers (or is it the other way around, I can't remember?!) it's suppose to make sharpening easier while still maintaining strength.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:30 PM
Survivor

Quote:

1 inch = 2.54cm
100mm = 1cm

OAL = Over All length
MSRP = Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price
N.B. = Note Well or Take Notice from the Latin

All the other Helle blades are laminates--hard inside of two soft steels except this Scout's knife...

How old will you be in five years? Will you still want that cute sheath with its lovely little picture of a Scout/Guide on it? Why not get an adult knife now...The Fjellbekk ("Mountain Stream") is a beautiful knife with a Marbau wood handle with finger cutout, 4" blade with a bit of belly and curve to it, about the same size as the Scout and sells for around $50...

Helle click here to go to the site directly...

Another Norwegian maker is StrÝmeng but I've only got one knife by them...Their site indicates that the Gameking Saami knives with 7" blades are woman's knives and the 5" blades are children's knives given to them when they're 7 or 8 yrs. old...I have the 4" Stak model--they must give those to infants just learning to use a knife and fork!

Last edited by SeekHer; 10-30-2009 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: Link indication
Old 10-30-2009, 07:10 AM

There's a picture of a scout on it? Where? could you find a picture of the Helle Fjellbekk with the sheath?
Old 10-30-2009, 08:14 AM
Survivor

Quote:
There's a picture of a scout on it? Where? could you find a picture of the Helle Fjellbekk with the sheath?
Just click on the Helle link I provided in my last post...at the bottom of large picture on their front page, there is a tag for "In English" and just click that...check the products (produkter) page and all the knives are displayed and just click on the blade you want to see and another page opens up and gives you various pictures of the knife and sheath along with all the data...

Middle of the second column labelled Outdoors (Tur) is the preferred Mountain knife (Fjellkniven) and not the Mountain Brook (Fjellbekk) which is top of the third column labelled Hunting (Jakt) that I reported earlier--sorry, wasn't thinking...Your Speiderkniven (Scoutís) is second of the fourth column labelled Children & Youth (Barn & Ungdom)

If you use Google Translate sometimes it brings up the English version and sometimes the Norwegian page with translation...N.B. some knives are available in Europe that aren't available here and vice versa...I.E. the Futura appears as does two extra "Special Knives" and another one in "Fishing Knives"

If you check Ragnar's Ragweed Forge site he has a very good write up with pictures on the complete line of Helle and other Scandi makers...

Same for the StrÝmeng, Brusletto and Marttiini links in the last posts...just run your mouse over them and a pointer will appear and just click...
Old 10-30-2009, 10:52 AM
Viking in training

I have the Helle Harding and it's easily the best allround knife I have ever had. Helle is also known for their great customer service. And if my memory serves me right, they have a lifetime warranty on their knives. So if it breaks, send it in, or send them a picture of it, and they will send you a new one.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:31 PM

OKay thanks, I'll go with the fjellbekk.