Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 10-19-2009, 11:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,702 Times in 1,726 Posts
Default Cotton Vs Wool Vs Nylon Vs Polyester Vs Blends (pants) Please help!

Advertise Here

Hi,

I am having all sorts of difficulties trying to figure out what I want my pants to be made of!! (you think it would be simple wouldnt you).

Anyway, heres the assumptions:

-They could get wet (likely in winter)
-They likely will be close to fire (both camp and scrub/bushfire)
-They will have to deal with abrasion (particularly on the knees)
-It could be cold (though if its very cold there will be polypropylene thermals underneath)
-It could be quite hot

So anyway, here are the materials they could be made from:

**Wool**
Pros
-Does not catch on fire/melt
-Retains insulating properties when wet
Cons
-Expensive
What I dont know but need to know:
Does it dry quickly?
-Will I overheat rapidly if I wear them in hot weather?
-How abrasion resistant are they?

**Cotton**
Pros
-Cheap
-Cool in summer
-Can be very abrasion resistant (heavyweight pants etc)
-Doesn't readily catch on fire
Cons
-Does not retain insulation when wet
-Slow drying
-nothing

**Nylon**
Pros
-Can be hard wearing with right weave
-Lightweight
-Drys quickly when wet
Cons
-Does readily catch fire/melt
-Does nylon retain insulation when wet?

**Polyester**
Pros
-Cheap
-Retains insulation when wet
-Drys quickly
Cons
-Readily catches fire
-Does it wear out quickly?

**Blends** (mainly cotton/polyester)
Pros
-Cheap
-Does not wear out too quickly
Cons
?
-Does it readily catch fire?
-Does it retain insulation when wet?
-Does it dry quickly?

So, as you can see, I am stuck. Currently I have pretty much ruled out:
Nylon - Catches on fire too easily
Polyester - Catches on fire too easily
Pure Cotton - Cold when wet, slow drying

So, is there a fabric that does it all? or will I need "summer"(cotton) and "winter" (probably Nylon) pants?

Same rule is probably going to apply to shirts shortly, but at the moment I have 10,000 t-shirts to wear out before I bother buying any. I may buy 1 shirt specifically for "bug out" or "fire fighting" or "search and rescue" purposes.

Feedback will be much appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kipper For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2009, 11:46 PM
You looking at me!

Thanked 3,763 Times in 1,699 Posts

I would say check out the military gear, winter and summer use.
Afghanistan is hot in the day and cold at night plus its soon gonna be winter so find out what they are issued with, then let me know...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BOBtheBUTCHER For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2009, 11:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,806 Times in 1,753 Posts

Overall clothing thoughts for me.

Wool blankets in the truck. Now you can sleep around a fire w/o worry.
Fleece is great stuff. Work in layers.
Nylon coated or core-tex rain gear. When it rains it's cold, so get a fleece lined one.

Wool is an expensive option.
fleece is a cheap one. (polyester).

Now, what about summer? I'm sure you know the advantages of long sleeves. Cottom is good there.

They all have their pro's and cons.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sailinghudson25 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2009, 06:50 AM

Wool in layers for winter

cotton for summer
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4fish For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2009, 08:26 AM

I shop second hand stores for wool products! Paid 5$ for a new pendleton blanket & am always on the lookout for wool trousers. Unfotunately you find more women's trousers than mens. If you get them a couple sizes big you can wear cotton under them for comfort.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acumark66 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2009, 01:38 PM
Realist

I think most current military uniforms (most forces in the middle east anyhow) are nylon/cotton blend. I don't know what percentage of each though.

Durability should be a factor too. Most of my nylon clothes are somewhat durable, but not nearly as durable as most of my cotton stuff.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ioda006 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2009, 02:01 PM
Recent Blog:
I am Defendor

Wool socks are a must almost year round, forget cotton socks they hold water and become a biological experiment in the summer. I have worn wool even in the hottest summer here in the desert.
I would not hesitate to use surplus military clothing. There are poly/wool blends for summer and heavier wool for the winter.
Also american military cold weather gear is the best in the world it can be layered and adjusted.
Wool is the king.
Another material that is expensive and has good thermal properties is silk. I know that sounds gay.
Silk long underwear is great though. Warm in winter, lightweight. you can find it at sporting good stores for skiers
Many synthetic fibers are absolutely irritating especially when wet, I would steer away from them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimnan88 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2009, 03:06 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,832 Times in 815 Posts

Go to your local camping/outdoor/surplus store and ask. We have REI here in the PNW, and they are very knowledgeable, and I bet other outdoor-related people would give you the straight scoop.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrowserCat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2009, 03:11 PM
There's no "I" in Sheeple

A material which I've often heard mentioned favourably in this context is Cordura, which is a moniker for some particular type of nylon.

There are also polyurethane and other coatings for these materials that are offered, I've wondered a lot about this topic as well, good luck and report back here with answers
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SheepDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2009, 03:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,679 Times in 2,724 Posts

Having lived in Florida almost all of my life I can tell you in hot dry weather cotton is fine except for socks. Sweaty socks give you blisters. I like the Thor-Lo's summer type blends down here for hiking, or the military issue boot socks.

For wet hot weather there's nothing worse than cotton. It just won't dry, your perspiration will mix with rain and you'll feel like a used mop.

I've found the Mil. BDU Ripstop Tropical material to be the best for hot wet weather. If it gets wet it dries. In civilian attire a material like those used in swimming trunks works best. Look for REI "fishing shirts" and "fishing pants" for this.

The only really cold weather I've been in was in the military and I found all the issue stuff very comfortable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 375H&H For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Recent Blog:
I am Defendor

Go with the military surplus, it is just straight up better. Wear wool socks.
Nylon is good for breaking the wind, but that is all.
Most of these fabrics are made so as to save cost in manufacturing not for wearability, or duribility.
Stick to known good tech don't buy into new tech unless you have a known tech backup, when your life is on the line.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:11 PM

Synthetics when hiking.
Silk when in camp. Silk is fire resistant, retains insulation properties when wet, dries fairly fast, naturally wicking, is the strongest natural fabric, and is very comfortable. It's everything synthetics try to be, but dries a little slower. Tommy Bahama makes 100% silk slacks that make great hiking pants if you get them in the right cut. I usually wear synthetics while I'm actually hiking because they dry faster, but I wont go near a fire with them. If I had to choose one pair of pants they would be silk. It's an amazing material if you look into it a little.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jett For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Hiker

Default Wool wool wool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnan88 View Post
Wool socks are a must almost year round, forget cotton socks they hold water and become a biological experiment in the summer. I have worn wool even in the hottest summer here in the desert.
I would not hesitate to use surplus military clothing. There are poly/wool blends for summer and heavier wool for the winter.
Also american military cold weather gear is the best in the world it can be layered and adjusted.
Wool is the king.
Another material that is expensive and has good thermal properties is silk. I know that sounds gay.
Silk long underwear is great though. Warm in winter, lightweight. you can find it at sporting good stores for skiers
Many synthetic fibers are absolutely irritating especially when wet, I would steer away from them.
Wool wool wool
buy the highest quality you can afford but buy half the clothes. Dries quick wears like steel warm in cold weather breathes in hot weather. 1 pair of marino pants is worth 4 pairs of cotton just nohot water and no drier for washing them.
I bought marino socks and want to wear them everyday they are worth every penny!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scienceteacher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2009, 06:44 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scienceteacher View Post
Wool wool wool
buy the highest quality you can afford but buy half the clothes. Dries quick wears like steel warm in cold weather breathes in hot weather. 1 pair of marino pants is worth 4 pairs of cotton just nohot water and no drier for washing them.
I bought marino socks and want to wear them everyday they are worth every penny!!!!
Yeah, I am coming to the same conclusion.

I think I might buy 1 pair of something like this: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

Trial them, if they feel OK i'll buy up a "stash" of them, to ensure I dont run out
Old 10-20-2009, 06:49 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 2,798 Times in 1,410 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Wool is the king.
I agree completely. Another issue with some synthetics is that they can actually MELT to your body when exposed to high heat or friction.

Wool and silk are the BEST choices, in my book. Yes, they CAN be more expensive than cotton or synthetics, but they have some real advantages.
BOTH are natural fabrics, so they "breathe" well, which helps keep you from getting overheated. Synthetics do NOT breathe. They both maintain their insulating properties when wet (unlike cotton), and will "wick" sweat away from your body. Silk will help keep you cool in summer and warm in winter, and is VERY lightweight, and without bulk. (This is why I love ThermaSilk long underwear. Lightweight, no bulk, so can be worn under my nice slacks and keep me warm without spoiling the look). Wool fabrics can be made in both "summer" and "winter" weights, and are excellent for layering. Wool is and silk can also be either very durable, or not, depending on the weave--check for a good tight weave for better durability.

If price is a problem, look for them at thrift stores or at end-of-season sales at the retailers (I recently got a pair of ThermaSilk long john pants for $5 at Gander Mt.)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2009, 07:28 PM
Recent Blog:
I am Defendor

Nothing is worse than sweaty synthetic fiber.
This is like any type of activity that is long in duration, and high in activity. What is minorly irritating after an hour becomes a bloody sore after a day.

You cannot think of this kind of clothing for comfort in the same light as clothes you wear for 10 hours a day. You might be in these clothes for more than 24 hours at a time. We are talking survival gear not camping gear.
Your typical sporting goods camping wear seems comfortable at first but it will either not last, or it will begin to do odd things after about 12 hours. If you have to be on the move for a long period of time a binding seam will be a bloody mess.
I recommend the military surplus not just because I was in the military but because it can be worn for long periods of time. It's tough, durable, good quality, and if properly fitted it will be comfortable for long periods.
It is made for this. Also if you notice the military uses lots and lots of wool.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:05 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 12,112 Times in 4,517 Posts

I have been wearing Military BDUs in the summer and fall, I believe they are 60/40 polly cotton blend. Working during winter I prefer Carhart Bibs and during very cold weather I prefer insulated coveralls.

I wear polly pro sock until winter then switch to wool/nylon blend or even to pure wool.

Year round, I wear Polly Pro or Thermax as a wicking layer next to the skin.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2009, 08:47 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Also if you notice the military uses lots and lots of wool.
The military does also cut costs/corners from time to time.

I did notice before when I searched "ebay" for "wool pants" I did get several hits for ex-army (german mostly) pants.

I wonder if they have moved from wool to poly/cotton blends for cost or other reasons...

I'm pretty sure the Australian Army Jumpers are (or were) 100% wool though (except probably for the elbow/shoulder patches..)

Last edited by Kipper; 10-20-2009 at 08:56 PM..
Old 10-20-2009, 09:12 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 12,112 Times in 4,517 Posts

You are right that the US military has moved away from wool uniforms following WW2. After using wool pants for a while, I changed to poly/cotton my self.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2009, 09:24 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
You are right that the US military has moved away from wool uniforms following WW2. After using wool pants for a while, I changed to poly/cotton my self.
So why did you change? cost? comfort? durability?