Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > General Discussion Section > General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 10-14-2009, 02:51 PM
I love this forum

Default Bug-out sailboat

Advertise Here

I have a sailboat that I keep bug-out gear, food, survival equipment and some guns on. I live on it in the summer when I'm not in the mountains. My buddie owns the land in the mountains where I will go if it gets ugly. But I'm also capable of sailing to saftey if something should go down. Anyone else have a bug-out boat? Here are some sailing pics.
Attached Thumbnails
100_2671.jpg   100_2674.jpg   100_2680.jpg   100_2681.jpg   100_2686.jpg   100_2688.jpg  

100_2698.jpg  
Old 10-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Country Boy

Thanked 1,289 Times in 513 Posts

Never thought about a sailboat but that could be one of the best bug out vehicles yet, I still hate the things when I'm out on the water in my boat
Old 10-14-2009, 04:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,819 Times in 984 Posts

I've thought about it as a short term BOV, but long term you would need a really good sized one. Well beyond most people's budget.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,679 Times in 2,724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwacker73 View Post
I have a sailboat that I keep bug-out gear, food, survival equipment and some guns on. I live on it in the summer when I'm not in the mountains. My buddie owns the land in the mountains where I will go if it gets ugly. But I'm also capable of sailing to saftey if something should go down. Anyone else have a bug-out boat? Here are some sailing pics.
I had a 27 ft Cape Dory w/centerboard. When I retired and moved to Ocala I sold it since we're so far from marinas. I wish I had it back. I could easily get to Walker's Cay, and then south on the island chain as far as I wanted to go.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,632 Times in 833 Posts

Not a bug out boat, but a fishing vessel to get food. BOL allows us to harvest from land, sea and lakes.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:59 PM
I love this forum

Mines a Jeanneau Sunfast 3200 "32ft", it's not to tough to live on. I can't stand all of the way up, I'm 6'3. But it has an alcohol stove, fridge etc. The head "bathroom" has a toilet, sink and the whole room turns into the shower. The nav. center is off to the port side tucked back in the corner, it's not too bad.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:35 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwacker73 View Post
Mines a Jeanneau Sunfast 3200 "32ft", it's not to tough to live on. I can't stand all of the way up, I'm 6'3. But it has an alcohol stove, fridge etc. The head "bathroom" has a toilet, sink and the whole room turns into the shower. The nav. center is off to the port side tucked back in the corner, it's not too bad.
I'm surprised you aren't able to stand up in your cabin. Is it a racing hull?

On ours we had a stove, a fridge, a head/shower, an Onan generator and shore power. We spent anywhere from a weekend to a couple of weeks at a time in it.

It would have made a great BOV. Many a time we would sail to a little isolated island in the keys, anchor offshore and spend a couple of days fishing, swimming, snorkeling, etc. Then we would sail to one of the keys with a nice hotel, anchor at their docks, have a nice dinner and sleep on a real bed.

In a SHTF situation you could do this all down the Bahamas chain and beyond if you wanted to. It wouldn't be a bad life. Some people even do it with kids!
The Following User Says Thank You to 375H&H For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2009, 08:36 PM
Prepared in NH

Thanked 3,568 Times in 1,968 Posts

That's nice = What do you do = when you run out of food, fuel, and other necessities?

You are governed by the port, or land that you must go into, because you are out of supplies....

(Ex-40' sailboat owner)
Old 10-14-2009, 08:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 55,183 Times in 16,847 Posts

Too cool, I want a sailboat soooooo frigggggin bad! After we finish some
remoldeling I'll get one....small one 21ft or so
Old 10-14-2009, 08:57 PM
www.GuerillaTactical.com

Thanked 1,208 Times in 522 Posts

My brother has a big bayliner 40 odd feet long. Its really nice like a small apartment. I dont get along with him so Im sure he will leave me on the dock and jam with his family. I do want to get a boat (a ski boat would even work) so I could use it to head north and maybe sleep on). It would be safer at sea during SHTF I would think. No traffic and fewer people. Im sure piracy would be a problem though.

I wonder how many people would leave town and abandon their harbored boats. In SHTF I might head down and see what was left behind. My girlfriends dad works in newport harbor at a buoy company and knows how to sail. Im sure we could have our pick of the litter.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:52 PM

Default why not!!!

i have to think that is there was a EOTWAWKI event....that most of the peps would die off in the first 3 months.... so if you could last at least that long on you boat....then come back...alot of the compation you might face would be gone....then you would just have to fend for yourself....

but who knows???
Old 10-14-2009, 10:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,509 Times in 2,125 Posts

Yes its one of the reasons I still have my 37ft Lancer Sloop! Lived on it for 7 years while still on active duty stationed at North Island in Coronado. Man that was a great 7 years!
The Following User Says Thank You to LuniticFringeInc For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2009, 10:49 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHCraigT View Post
That's nice = What do you do = when you run out of food, fuel, and other necessities?

You are governed by the port, or land that you must go into, because you are out of supplies....

(Ex-40' sailboat owner)
How can you run out of food with all those fish around? And how can somebody that bugs out resupply? You can carry a lot more supplies on a sailboat. Fuel for a sailboat? It's a luxury. Sailors routinely carry weeks of supplies on long passages.

Ad what makes you think that the Bahamas, for example, would be so bad that you couldn't pull in to a port ad resupply during the early parts of TSHTF. I think whatever happens to the US, most likely an economic collapse, won't affect other countries at the same time.

That sailboat would be just like any other bol. Away from the masses.
The Following User Says Thank You to 375H&H For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2009, 11:34 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,294 Times in 631 Posts

I have a 34' Cal, three cylindar diesel. i picked it up for $700.00 at a moorage auction and put another $4000.00 into it including the cost of putting it on the hard and redoing the bottom. i can live on it very easily and wind is free. the only downside is it is not a fast vehicle you will not out run anything but a smaller sailboat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Taisdealach For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2009, 06:47 AM
Google Duckweed!!!

Thanked 1,640 Times in 639 Posts
Default Remember why you are bugging out.

In an EOTWAWKI event you want to avoid as many confrontations as possible.

In a previous post, I recommended heading into a desert with 100 gallons of water and food and a tent and a radio. Who in their right mind would head into a desert? The point is to avoid all contact and conflict.

On a boat, you can slowly replenish water and should be able to catch fish. Heck, one dead chickens and you should be able to catch an 8' shark and eat that for weeks. Avoiding sneak attacks should be easy enough also.

I'm envious of people who have a boat. I am landlocked in North Texas and will be pretty prepped and well defended, but do NOT look forward to any armed conflicts or starving people begging for food. No way to avoid some poor woman with a starving baby.

Sierra Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to Sierra Dave For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2009, 07:07 AM
death is the road to awe

You are lucky I always dreamt of circumnavigating the globe in a sailboat That would make a great adventure
Old 10-15-2009, 07:38 AM
Forever Vigilant

Thanked 4,079 Times in 1,255 Posts

I have previously had (and permanently lived on) 4 different sail boats for 12 years. I am now building a 38' catamaran so that I can do it again one day.

In my opinion, a sailboat is probably the best survival vehicle and home. You can so easily disappear. Put an RO system and plenty of fishing gear aboard and you can sustain for a decade.
The Following User Says Thank You to SMM123 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2009, 08:01 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 375H&H View Post
I'm surprised you aren't able to stand up in your cabin. Is it a racing hull?

On ours we had a stove, a fridge, a head/shower, an Onan generator and shore power. We spent anywhere from a weekend to a couple of weeks at a time in it.

It would have made a great BOV. Many a time we would sail to a little isolated island in the keys, anchor offshore and spend a couple of days fishing, swimming, snorkeling, etc. Then we would sail to one of the keys with a nice hotel, anchor at their docks, have a nice dinner and sleep on a real bed.

In a SHTF situation you could do this all down the Bahamas chain and beyond if you wanted to. It wouldn't be a bad life. Some people even do it with kids!
It is a racing hull, as far as the cabin goes its not all that comfortable. There's benches that run the full length, and two pretty small sleeping quarters in the aft of the boat on both sides of the engine. Not too terrible, I do alot of snorkeling out there, I've had a spear gun on my wish list for a while but have'nt got one yet.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:10 AM
Resident Ninja

Thanked 1,799 Times in 755 Posts

It's definitely a viable option!
Old 10-15-2009, 08:34 AM
READY&ABLE

sweet set up bushwacker.....hey if you wanna read some good books from a guy that has sailed the world in his small sailboat, read any book by "tristan jones" I think by far his best books were "outward leg" and "the incrediable voyage"...check them out...great reading!
http://www.tristanjones.org/meet_tristan.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to aka"militiamike" For This Useful Post: