Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Shotgun Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here

Old 10-11-2009, 01:53 PM
Krazy Kitty

Thanked 5,893 Times in 2,668 Posts
Default Mossberg 12 ga 9200 good or bad?

Advertise Here

A few months ago I finally bought my first shotgun from a local dealer. I used to shoot with my dad and later with friends but never had my own. The ad was for a Mossberg 550 or something like that. A couple of weeks after I got it home I noticed it was a 9200 accu choke with a 28 inch barrell. It has a cammo paint job and reads patent pending. I called the guy and told him it was different than the bill of sale. He said just change it on your copy and I'll change it on mine. He also said that if he had realized his mistake he would have charged me double. I have been reading some other forums about it. Some say it's a piece of junk and some like it. But supposedly they don't make barrels for it anymore and it's also awkward to load. I guess I have to cut my fingernails. LOL I bought birdshot and buckshot and slugs for it but am not sure if it has the right barrel for slugs. I know absolutely nothing about guns. I got to practice with it finally this summer. There aren't any places that I know of to shoot here. Anyway, I am 5'6" and 125 lbs. Everyone said it would knock me on my butt. But it didn't feel too heavy and it felt balanced for me. I only used birdshot and the kick wasn't bad at all and I hit mostly what I was aiming at. Don't know about the other ammo. How bad the kick would be. I like it but am afraid of what some are saying that parts fall off and replacement parts are hard to find. Should I keep it and hope for the best or trade it for something better?
Old 10-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Target Shooter

From what I understand the 9200 is the edsel of mossbergs. You either get a good one or a bad one. The good ones seam to run very well. And the bad ones jamb up quite often.
There is a 9200 sitting at my friends shop right now. It has both barrels [ rifled slug and 28 inch ] and is in great shape. I can pick that one up for $275.00. But because of the hit or miss reputation of the 9200 I have passed on it.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:17 PM
A Way of Life

Thanked 1,413 Times in 585 Posts

I don't know much about the 9200, but if you thought you were buying a 550 (probably was a 590), you should demand what you paid for. Since you didn't state your purpose for the gun, its hard to say if you have the right one or not.

Regarding ammo, you will feel an increase in recoil when going from birdshot, to buckshot, and finally to slugs.

Regarding your barrel, when you look inside of it, if it has a spiral pattern it is a rifled barrel. You should only use sabot slugs. If the inside of the barrel is smooth and has no pattern, you should only use rifled slugs.
2 3/4 in slugs are the biggest you'll need. Anything bigger than that will just leave your shoulder sore and maybe bruised.

The biggest issue is that you didn't get what you thought you were getting. If you aren't sure that the gun you have is right for you, return it and do a lot of research. Use the search function on this forum to start. Having the right tool is essential when it comes to guns.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Cold Water Kayaker

Thanked 1,430 Times in 707 Posts

You sound sort of unsure about the purchase and that might linger for quite some time. Go and fire it a bunch more times to see if it does what you expect it to, like feel 'right', hit what you are aiming at, and generally perform to expectations. If it you still have lingering doubts, trade it in for something else, like the 500 or 590.

You really want a gun you feel good about and can trust, not something that every time you go to the range you think 'will a part fall off? explode?, jam?.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Krazy Kitty

Thanked 5,893 Times in 2,668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911JB View Post
From what I understand the 9200 is the edsel of mossbergs. You either get a good one or a bad one. The good ones seam to run very well. And the bad ones jamb up quite often.
There is a 9200 sitting at my friends shop right now. It has both barrels [ rifled slug and 28 inch ] and is in great shape. I can pick that one up for $275.00. But because of the hit or miss reputation of the 9200 I have passed on it.
Oh chit. Maybe I should sell it and do some research on something else. But I need some input on what's good and what's not. I do really like the weight and feel of it though. So far it hasn't jammed. But I don't like the way it's hard to load it. And are you telling me that if I want to use slugs I need a different barrel??
Old 10-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinbad View Post
Oh chit. Maybe I should sell it and do some research on something else. But I need some input on what's good and what's not. I do really like the weight and feel of it though. So far it hasn't jammed. But I don't like the way it's hard to load it. And are you telling me that if I want to use slugs I need a different barrel??
No , If you want to use sabot slugs you will need a different barrel. If you use rifled slugs you can use the barrel you have.

And I must agree with you on the feel. It shoulders rather well and seams nicely balanced.

Also if you have ben shooting it and it has not jammed you may have gotten one of the good ones.
The Following User Says Thank You to 911JB For This Useful Post: