Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 02-20-2008, 06:37 PM

Default Texas Survival Training?

Advertise Here

I live in an area close to Houston and a friend of mine and I are planning a little survival training expedition but are mostly unsure of any good places where we would be able to go out for a while, except national parks and hiking trails of course.

Just wondering if anybody could offer advice about where we can find good spots to spend a week/weekend for these type of activities? Where we wouldn't be confined to spending the night at campgrounds and would be able to indulge in some free range hiking, shelter making, firestarting, living one with the beasts without worrying about park rangers showing up and spoiling our fun (lol!). We also are not exclusively looking for any local places and are open to a 3 or 4 hour drive to the west side of Texas as we both favor that side of Texas the most but any ideas of places in the Texas or Louisiana area we are open to. The more challenge the more we'll enjoy it!

Any help from you guys would be appreciated and please share some experiences from those destinations you have visited as I am sure we will come back with stories of our own to share.

Last edited by PalFrank; 02-20-2008 at 06:48 PM..
Old 02-20-2008, 09:50 PM
The Bad guy

dont recommend wasting your time with west texas. there is a nice place for pimitive camping in east texas, cant rememberwhat its called but google camping areas in east texas you should be able to find it. otherwise, a trip to any blm lands in new mexico would be a good ideas.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:38 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,105 Times in 495 Posts

pretend that the rangers are the bad guys and try to camp without being detected.if it was a true survival situation people would be looking to loot or kill you
Old 02-29-2008, 03:18 PM
born to hold out

Default survival camping

I do alot of camping in the ouachita national forrest.Since this is a federal park I would think regulations would be pretty much the same for national parks in your area.Ouachita is 1.6 million acres of timber with a variety of terrains and i truly believe there ar places there that few people have been due to the terrain. They allow camping anywhere for a limited amount of time you can get a regulation pamphlet at any visitors center or online maps can be gotten from the usgs