Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 10-02-2009, 10:04 PM
Trapper

Default Places to scavange after the collapse of society?

Advertise Here

Ok, what happens when you lose access to your food supplies? Have anyone here given any thought as to where to locate food when society finally breaks down? Super Markets would be picked clean but there should be areas that have might of escaped the looters and destruction.

Some Ideas:
Resteraunts
Gas Stations
School Caferteias
Some Industrial buildings have food/soda machines
Churches
Hospital Cafeterias
Small Airports
Warehouses might contain treasure troves of food
Anyother ideas?

I have a friend who went into an abandoned resteraunt that has been boarded up for two years now. He said there were dozens of number 10 cans full of beans, tomato sause, ketchup, greenbeans, and nacho cheese sause. He also found three of those table top can openers. There were also tons of dry goods that the rats had gotten into.

Todesking

Last edited by Todesking; 10-02-2009 at 10:26 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Todesking For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2009, 10:08 PM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 6,987 Times in 3,332 Posts

A wal-mart distribution center...if the military hasn't taken it over first.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeffrey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2009, 01:12 AM
sic transit gloria mundi

Quote:
Ok, what happens when you lose access to your food supplies? Have anyone here given any thought as to where to locate food when society finally breaks down? Super Markets would be picked clean but there should be areas that have might of escaped the looters and destruction.
If we follow this suggestion doesn't would that make us looters too?

Just a thought (and I'm very familiar with the "..if that's what it takes to feed my family..." argument).
The Following User Says Thank You to jandg For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2009, 01:23 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,838 Times in 2,455 Posts

I'm assuming that these are abandoned buildings or businesses that the owners have given up as hopeless.
The post office and UPS would be places to look too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lanahi For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2009, 04:00 PM

Personally, I believe you will need to hunker down for a few months and up to a year.

By then, people will be dead or well away from any are you intend to scavenge. Personally, I'd be looking for tractor trailers. You never know what you'll find when you open one up, but when you do you will have ****loads of it. You might also be able to drive the damn thing.

You don't want to be caught scavenging. It's a great time for someone to stalk you back to your BOL. If martial law is decreed, expect to be shot at by soldiers. Ideally, you've been able to wait long enough as I mentioned above.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to TareanSmiley For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2009, 05:00 PM
John 3:16

Thanked 48,092 Times in 20,529 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandg View Post

Just a thought (and I'm very familiar with the "..if that's what it takes to feed my family..." argument).
would you rather have me scavaging (looting) there or at your BOL. Either one works for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Saint For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2009, 08:31 PM
born to be riled

Peoples house would probably be abandoned by the thousands.
Not advocating stealing from anyone but if a house is vacant and there's stuff inside...
If I had to BO or was killed I'm sure folks would be hitting my place--must admit it'd be a pretty good score too
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vgun For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2009, 08:35 PM
pack light, move quietly.

There is a difference between "looting" and "scavenging." Looters are stealing TVs and sneakers. Scavengers are trying to get things to survive.
Part of my equipment, in my shop because they are quite useful, is a set of bolt cutters. They would go in my BOV because I might need to cut chain, combination rigs along the road are almost always locked with padlocks. Would it be looting to open a clearly abandonded Semi-trailer in hopes of finding food?

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited by hafcafdcaf; 10-03-2009 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: Just adding some thoughts.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to hafcafdcaf For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2009, 08:37 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 15,909 Times in 4,195 Posts

When the SHTF, scavenging abandoned places is nothing to be ashamed of. Wary, maybe but not ashamed. I can't stand that Rawles BS about the political incorrectness of taking abandoned stuff that's not yours.

Looting (which is robbing) is a different matter but scavenging is ok in my books.

Places to scavange:

If you live near an agricultural area, grain elevators my still have some left over grains.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,268 Times in 1,123 Posts

auto supply stores - automotive products that you might not have spent the money to purchase yet - have a list of the filters, belts, brake parts, etc. that your vehicle might need
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ackbob For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2009, 08:38 PM
tinfoil bandana

If you are in the city and have no food, you are already dead IMHO.

If you think that the looters and homeless are going to stop once the supermarket is empty you are only fooling yourself.

Personally, I'd start studying up on what is edible in the wild. Food didn't always come from a can.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mongo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Hiker

Anybody that advocates anti-scavenging philosiphies is living under a false neo-modern enlightend way of thinking that is so prevailing among those in a society that don't what to give in to the fact that not all is as good and civilized as they perceive it to be. It is one of the last vestiges that most people of that type of thinking so despritely hold onto, reason being is that it means that they have lost control of the situation. That it is alright to take what one needs in order to live, JUST NOT FROM THEM !

This has been going on since the beginning of time and is still going on and will continue to go on until Jesus returns. Enlightened societies have always condemed those more barbaric ones because they took what they needed to survive first and live alittle better second. Only one thing though, those "enlightend societies" never care to remember just how they got started on the path to being stronger then everyone else, richer then everyone else and better then everyone else.....

They have changed history , replaced it with politcal correctness so as to ease their cosciences into believing that they are not as bad as the truth really is. In affect they are diluding themselves of the truth, that they are human and that humans do whatever it is that they need to do in order to breed,survive and thrive above any others that may wish to do the same . Factor in limited resources,food,shelter,grazing land ,limited wealth,disease,weather,etc,etc,etc....and that only translates into one thing....only the strong in any psedo-society survive and the weaker ones die off, that is until the weak of that society convince the strong that their time is over and that they need ony crawl back into their respective caves and do the rest of them a favor and just die so that society will be better off and that they can put their collective conciences to rest.

That is , until the whole process begins again, as it always has, as it always will.

Last edited by Ducttape; 10-03-2009 at 11:22 PM..
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Ducttape For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2009, 11:16 PM

The best place to scavange? Everywhere.

Start with the things (houses, businesses, restraunts, cars, etc) closest to your BOL and spiral outward. Having a map to mark where you've checked would help.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SupermanPJ4444 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2009, 11:26 PM
John 3:16

Thanked 48,092 Times in 20,529 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
When the SHTF, scavenging abandoned places is nothing to be ashamed of. Wary, maybe but not ashamed. I can't stand that Rawles BS about the political incorrectness of taking abandoned stuff that's not yours.

Looting (which is robbing) is a different matter but scavenging is ok in my books.

Places to scavange:

If you live near an agricultural area, grain elevators my still have some left over grains.
Oh I'm betting if you or your family were hungry, you would suddenly grey the definition between looting and scavaging, as would any one else in this thread. Don't kid yourself or us, the whole reason for prepping is to take care of you and yours should the need arise otherwise everyone on here would be giving us google directions to their BOL. Think about this, the donner party, knowledgeable people in the ways of self sufficiency but not too bright when it came to the weather, ate each other to stay alive. Wouldn’t wish it on the worst liberal but your kidding yourself if you say "not me"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Saint For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2009, 12:37 AM
Deus exsisto laus

Thanked 6,718 Times in 2,281 Posts

Army bases? National Guard armouries?TP
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texas Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2009, 12:43 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 15,909 Times in 4,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Oh I'm betting if you or your family were hungry, you would suddenly grey the definition between looting and scavaging, as would any one else in this thread. Don't kid yourself or us, the whole reason for prepping is to take care of you and yours should the need arise otherwise everyone on here would be giving us google directions to their BOL. Think about this, the donner party, knowledgeable people in the ways of self sufficiency but not too bright when it came to the weather, ate each other to stay alive. Wouldn’t wish it on the worst liberal but your kidding yourself if you say "not me"
I don't know what I would do if my kids were dying of starvation. I don't claim I can foresee it and I never said otherwise. My loyalty is to my family, first and foremost. I don't know what that will translate into, in hard times. Maybe it will make me throw my whole moral compass out the window...And than again, maybe it won't.

I am planning as best as I can so that I never have to find out. I am doing everything I can so that I am not put in a situation where I have to test my moral strength.

That's what preparing for a dark future is all about.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:55 AM
Who Watches the Watchmen?

Thanked 4,995 Times in 2,942 Posts

waterheaters , truck stops, docks, farmhouses, pawnshops, banks if moneys still worth something, hotels motels, anything isolated like cabins,gunstores or the bigger places like Cabelas or Gander mountain, pretty much everywhere and anything. stalled cars not just trucks factories or even a power plant, railroads if u find a train ur set for a while lol, car dealerships try to get a nice one ha.

dont forget the bathrooms of any area you need TP and cleaining supplies etc.

to many to list and im tired lol make sure they are safe and no people good or bad are there if they are good then try to trade if bad avoid.. or if you have to fight. ALWAYS ALWAYS LOOT what the enemy provides. None of that Rawles goody goody stuff if u need it its yours if u dont need it sell it.

Its a waste to give it away giving frikken gold coins etc and all that was soo moronic ...thats one thing i hated about that book besides him saying riotshotgun every other sentence lol ITS CALLED A SHOTGUN! sorry got off subject. good thread i like this subject.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kroenen117 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2009, 03:46 AM
sic transit gloria mundi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandg View Post

would you rather have me scavaging (looting) there or at your BOL. Either one works for me.
Oh, I'm sure you wouldn't stop at either.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:47 AM
sic transit gloria mundi

Quote:
There is a difference between "looting" and "scavenging." Looters are stealing TVs and sneakers. Scavengers are trying to get things to survive.
Who made up that rule?
The Following User Says Thank You to jandg For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2009, 04:25 AM
Hunter

you can 'scavenge' pretty much every where even in garbages but be wary if you live in a city and remember that canibalism only stoped a few decades ago and that humans are made of flesh thus meat ! personaly if SHTF i take whatever i can and run my ass into the woods and stay the F away from 'civilisation' might even go way up north just to make shure nobody is around .

remember that when there is no civilisation only the strong survives ...

Edit:
i suggest you watch doomsday its a good movie and dosent lesinate on details of just how much barbaric ppl can be

Last edited by |eric|; 10-04-2009 at 04:28 AM.. Reason: added stuff