Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 09-27-2009, 07:38 PM

Default cheap rv living

Advertise Here

Found this site while stumbling around the web. I'm not really into RV camping. But the site has some good ideas, if you where working on a bug out vehicle.

http://cheaprvliving.com/
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to stroyeror For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2009, 07:59 PM
Recent Blog:
Hiker

thanks for the link, saved it to favorites, gonna check it out real good
with the way the economy is going might end up living in mine
Old 09-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Gettin By

I'm not sure why living in a camp trailer would be that big of a deal. I have a good friend who is a supervisor for a mining services company and lives on the road wherever the job is. He is single and had lived in camp trailers for the last 30+ years. His current trailer is a 28' Holiday Rambler and he does just great with it. Yes there are a few things to adapt to, but it is a pretty good life. Were I not tied to so many commitments it is the methood I would choose.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:18 PM
Come And Take It

i keep tossing this idea around in my head.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:23 PM

The wife and I lived in a 36ft 5th wheel for 6 years while traveling the U.S. and we had a blast doing it. Anyone can do it if you have don;t mind different neighbors everytime time you spend a night somewhere.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,660 Times in 2,177 Posts

Thanks for the link, I might get some ideas from it that I havent done or thought about. I have lived both on a boat for 7 years and now I am in a 5th wheel for the 4 year. I am seriously considering a Tour Bus conversion in the not too distant future. Its a unique life style and one that doesnt require you to be crude or give up much in the way of amenities but its not for every one. Many though will be pleasantly suprised at how comfortable it can be if done right though. Its great to not pay rent and throw money away every month and its also great to be able to just pick up and leave at the drop of a dime too. Further more it can be done very cheaply too.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:06 PM

That's a pretty interesting site. Thanks for the link.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:10 AM
Angry Libertarian

Ran across this a couple times over the last few months looking for custom/DIY campers. Pretty interesting stuff. Wish I could do something similar. Too many commitments to tie me and the wife down though. If we win the lottery, definitely.

My dad lives out of a camper part of the year when at job sites. He has a real nice 31 foot travel trailer. He said the only real change he had to make living out of his was to take showers a little differently.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,461 Times in 1,742 Posts

been there, done that and won't ever do it again. it sucks. I'd rather have to build my own cabin than live in one of those tin cans again.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:45 PM

I lived in a 28' travel trailer after my divorce. Remodeled the interior to suit me and did fine. Summer heat and 16" winter snow no problem. I am remarried, but if something ever happens to my wife, I'll be back in a travel trailer with a three car "garage" for everything else.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:27 PM

fork out some $$$ for a large solar array on the roof and some storage batterys you could have all the comforts of home
TBH if it were somewehre remote , and still had a link to the outside world I would do if for a while
Old 09-30-2009, 08:36 PM
+Adcock

Thanked 2,171 Times in 1,079 Posts

I have thought about this for many years.

On the Travel Channel they show some of the higher end yet still fairly compact travel homes.

On the inside they look like a narrow version of a modern home. Mini memory foam beds, full showers, full kitchens, etc.

They come with the solar arrays and full battery compliments as well. Some are coming with hybrid style motors for extended range.

Even the high end ones still stop at $200,000 out the door.

In CA that still won't get you much but it wil get you a very nice mobile home.

For a survivalist it is a good option to have if you pack it full of backup gear and figure out all the odds and ends needed.

If you get one of these,....

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/arti...cc4c002e0.html

Then you could power your goods for 10+ years. Or pull it into your cave
Old 10-01-2009, 06:50 PM
Target Shooter

As soon as I get a decent job, I want to buy a small, cheap pickup truck that I can use for hauling and that I can attach one of those portable RV's over the bed. Very versatile. Maybe also get a small boat.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,838 Times in 2,455 Posts

A mini van wouldn't be bad to travel in.
I've lived in a 29 foot fifth wheel for the past 7 years and don't mind it a bit. I would take out some of the built-ins if I had the talent to do carpentry and change some things around, but it's fine. There are certainly enough models to pick from for everyone's taste. There are even some with workable wood fireplaces. Knowing what I do now, I'd look for different things if I bought another one. They arn't as well insulated as regular houses but it takes very little to heat or cool them. And they are certainly more affordable than an average house!
I would like a motor home better, I think, so I could pick up and go when I wanted or needed to. You could do the same with a fifth wheel if you had a powerful enough truck to pull it, though. I'd also have one with a pull-out or two for more room.
With the back ups and alternatives for living off the grid for a few weeks, you get several advantages with an RV. You have extra water storage and water pump, batteries to run overhead lights, many have solar panels, often a refrigerator and water heater that uses either/or electricity or propane, two propane tanks, waste disposal tanks, etc., etc. Any of these can be recharged when needed for a few more weeks of living off the grid.
With the economic condition the way it is, a lot of people who used their motor homes or travel trailers are trying to sell them, but since so many consider them a luxury item to be used once a year for vacations, they are cheaper now. You could make some good deals on them. Then, if you found some land, you'd already have your shelter with you.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Prophet

another pretty good cheap solution would be to build a tumbleweed home.

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/

if i could find a piece of land that would allow it(stupid zoning laws), id have built one already; complete with solar.