Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 09-21-2009, 04:01 PM

Default What happens after the dollar collapses

Advertise Here

I can't find anyone willing to talk about what happens after the dollar collapses. I've watched most of the documentary on the Argentian collapse but still interested in hearing thoughts specifically towards the United States. [David Tice, Peter Schiff, Gerald Celente, Marc Faber, Jim Rogers, and Max Keiser] are a few of the guys talking about collapes. China, Russia, Brazil, and the UN comes out and says dollar should be dropped as reserve currency.

What do you guys see happening after the collapse of the dollar?
Old 09-21-2009, 04:05 PM
Come And Take It

People start using pesos and euros.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,689 Times in 2,244 Posts

$ dollar +toilet paper . once the looting killing done coin money will have real value because its has metal value.a penny maybe buy what a dollar would and so on
Old 09-21-2009, 04:10 PM
"Fly birdies! fly!"

Thanked 24,193 Times in 6,868 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamgar57 View Post
I can't find anyone willing to talk about what happens after the dollar collapses. I've watched most of the documentary on the Argentian collapse but still interested in hearing thoughts specifically towards the United States. [David Tice, Peter Schiff, Gerald Celente, Marc Faber, Jim Rogers, and Max Keiser] are a few of the guys talking about collapes. China, Russia, Brazil, and the UN comes out and says dollar should be dropped as reserve currency.

What do you guys see happening after the collapse of the dollar?
The same results as when it happened in the other locations in the past... like Argentina.

Value is how much someone wants a particular object. The gold standard took a huge supply of precious metal and then had pieces of paper to represent that material. The paper changes hands to buy objects that people want. The problem is that those pieces of paper are becoming useless and it takes more of them for physical objects. The VAST majority of "dollars" are just entries in a database, inflating and deflating with market trends.

So what happens: No more "symbols" of value (paper money) - the objects of value are the value. Basically: bartering and defending what you have.

Oh, and maybe we burn and loot ourselves into a 3rd world country.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grevlin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2009, 04:17 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,347 Times in 768 Posts

Trade/barter will be the rule of the day for most I suspect.

Like in any good paradox life will be both simpler and more complicated; it will be easier and harder.

Gold and Silver will still buy what you want with most people BUT what to pay? How much gold and silver?

The golden rule will rule (he/she with the gold makes the rules) but you have to have a reasonable amount of security.

Another possibility is local currencies. After all back in the first of our history it was the banks and not the government that made money.

Just my 2 cents
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Too much coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Lone Wolf

think if the dollar goes out I see the gov stepin' in with some new sort of electronic money after a while, but for a tyime we will hafta barter an' such. I'm investin' in a small amount of silver (in both bullion an' in scrap coins). I figure that will be the only currency of value. Ifin our Dollar goes out it doesn't mean all other countries dollars will be gone too. ifin everyone went down at the same time then the silver will be worthless, but for now it is a safe bet to believe it will hold its value.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:31 PM
DEFCON 4

Thanked 6,993 Times in 2,988 Posts

by bullets! they will be worth their weight in gold!!!!
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to sniperfx For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2009, 05:48 PM
Veritas Aequitas

Thanked 3,071 Times in 1,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfx View Post
Preach it! That's what I keep telling people but they think I'm crazy.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skyjump136 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2009, 06:02 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,385 Times in 674 Posts

Realistically? Severe inflation, mass unemployment, limited vehicle use, no/limited power, mass foreclosures, etc. This country is completely dependent on foreign oil. If the dollar collapses the first thing we'll see is skyrocketing gas prices and gas shortages.

Conditions are basically that of a third world country until domestic production returns and that nation starts producing everything for internal use or has products that the world demands. If you look up the collapse of the Soviet Union you can see what happens when a large world power goes bankrupt and their money collapses on the foreign market. The Soviets atleast had a large manufacturing infrastructure to fall back on where as we don't.

I know a few people that lived there when it collapsed and it was not a pleasant place to be. No work, high crime, little heat and little food. In this country people will be no where near as civil as they were in the Soviet Union, and they were in no way civil.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ImbriD For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Unlocked and loaded

Default Hmmm,

I think the Amerro will be put into circulation with a gold standard to back it. Lots of people will go back to prospecting, only 5% of our gold has been mined, so I think a little digging around might make it worth some folks time.
Time will tell, alot of folks will barter, alot will die when they realize the money they horde is worthless. Obamaite's take heed: Thou shalt not worship false God's. Lots of looting, riots, folks will go crazy over the loss of everything they worship. Marchall law will rule the land.( forgive my spelling) Many will starve, we will be hit hard, but once we cut the size of Gov. down and organize whats left.(stop all foreign aid,pull back all troops, shut down all immigration and kick out the illegals) We the people will be on our road to recovery.

Keep your senses sharp and your weapons clean, loaded and ready. God bless
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Irishwarlord For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2009, 06:33 PM
May the Lord be with us

Thanked 8,088 Times in 3,261 Posts

I agree with Imbrid. I will also add that people will demand to be paid at more frequent intervals, i.e. at the end of each work day vs. the near universal bimonthly system, as waiting two weeks for your wages could leave you with considerably less buying power due to hyper-inflation. It would seem to me that universal hard good denominations will occur, for example, things will cost so many "50 round boxes of .22 rimfire" or so many "#10 cans of corn," etc.

People will become hunters of other people, their resources and perceived resources, in a desperate orgy of violence sparked by our indwelling desire to survive.

No one will be singing "Give Peace a Chance" and sharing their last loaves of bread.

In good times civility is seemingly a lost art let alone in desperate times...
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Goethic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,947 Times in 2,022 Posts

Great thoughts on here so far!!!
Old 09-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Hunter

we are heading into a PERFECT STORM economically.. the dollar is at the center of it all.. be ready as you can people!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to luckyshot For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2009, 06:56 PM
May the Lord be with us

Thanked 8,088 Times in 3,261 Posts

I agree with Luckyshot. Try to follow Dave Ramsey's advice: Do all that you reasonably can to become as debt free as possible. The more debt that you have - particularly unsecured debt, i.e student loans, credit cards, etc., the more a slave you, the borrower are to the lender (the master)...

Learn to live BELOW your means... Keeping up with the Jones's is dead... Today's status symbol (borrowing this from Dave Ramsay) is not a leased BMW in the driveway, it's being debt free (or working hard toward getting that way...)...
Old 09-21-2009, 07:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,236 Times in 1,573 Posts

It seems to me that if I have a morgage, that's a contract. I pay (let's say to make it easy) $1,000 a month. I go to work and get paid (to make it easy) $1,000 a week. I pay my morgage the same as I always did with no change (unless maybe my bank changes). It doesn't matter that my money is worth 50 cents, my pay is the same and my morgage is the same (assuming I still have my job)
However, it's the quick and tangible items where it makes a big difference. With cash money worthless, I either pay for my tangibles with a wheelbarrow of money or I can use gold or silver, IF people are set up to take it. If I want a loaf of bread, it will cost my a LOT of cash, same with gas, heat, groceries etc.
The way to avoid this is to have a stockpile of things you need and to cut down on your usage of things that take cash to pay for. Do it now, while you still can!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Herbalpagan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2009, 07:07 PM
huh......what?

Thanked 34,044 Times in 8,315 Posts

After the dollar's inevitable collapse, (which I believe will cause a similar de-valuation in most other currencies) I think we'll we allowed to stew a while, to ensure that we are good and ready to accept the new global alternative.
This will likely include our accepting some "globally minded" changes in our society, beginning with a relinquishing of our right to keep and bear arms.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MIL-DOT For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2009, 07:09 PM
"Fly birdies! fly!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIL-DOT View Post
After the dollar's inevitable collapse, (which I believe will cause a similar de-valuation in most other currencies) I think we'll we allowed to stew a while, to ensure that we are good and ready to accept the new global alternative.
This will likely include our accepting some "globally minded" changes in our society, beginning with a relinquishing of our right to keep and bear arms.
I think many will be very happy to return their weapons one bullet at a time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grevlin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2009, 07:10 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 100,430 Times in 32,604 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Bullets only have value to handloaders. I'd think that ammunition would be the better bet.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:12 PM
"Fly birdies! fly!"

Quote:
Even Wolf ammo?

Though I have some, and would be willing to barter it if needed- that might be half the reason I have it.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:14 PM
Do you smell that?

Thanked 48,331 Times in 3,179 Posts

I have always put my money in precious metals; brass, copper and lead. I think that ammo along with other items will be great for barter. I also have a few gallons of whiskey that I will pour off into pint mason jars for trade. I am planning on a complete collapse of the dollar and for FRN's to be worthless. Shoes are another good trade item. It will be the over looked things that will pay dividends. Salt, will again become a commodity. It was once used as currency and probably will again. As well as clothes and canned food, hard tangible items will be what people want.

To me gold and silver are useless. What can I DO with it? Maybe trade it for something useful. I want hard commodities for my barter goods.