Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 09-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Deus exsisto laus

Thanked 6,702 Times in 2,281 Posts
Default Broken molar/self extraction

Advertise Here

I have a broken molar.I can't get into the dentist till December. I have that book "where there is no dentist",useless. Real informative if I were a dental assistant or had some experience and the medications. I cannot perform surgery on myself like the book suggests. Can I just push and pull on the tooth to loosen it then pull it? What I'm afraid of is it cracking further and exposing the nerve or the roots breaking off up in the gum and becoming infected. What should I do? TP
Old 09-17-2009, 04:00 PM

You can do what I have done for the past 11 years, deal with it. Just learn to chew on the opposite side.
The Following User Says Thank You to Voodoo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Trapper

keep looking for a real compassionate dentist. maybe a smaller town or go as far as you need to to find some one taking new patient's, or if your not in any real pain wait but watch out for infection as it will eat away at your jaw bone if you let it go to long. i did what you are doing my normal dentist said take this for the infection had set in already took the antibiotics and come back. i did and he broke a grinding tool off inside the tooth while trying to fill it, and would not admit any thing went wrong. he packed it and put a temp filling in until i could get to the oral surgeon,gee thanks to get it removed in the meantime infection set in again finally i could not take the wait anymore and i asked around and found a dentist that would pull what was remaining of my tooth out got a bridge and all has been great ever since but i can still feel the spot in my jaw that is thinned out from the infection they say it can go to your brain and kill ya.
The Following User Says Thank You to kev1n69 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2009, 09:38 PM

You will want to be very careful with that tooth. If it is located in the lower jaw, there is a nerve that runs close to the roots of the back teeth and if it gets pinched or damaged you can loose sensation in that side of your mouth. Also, those molars tend to be rooted quite deeply, so if you try to wiggle it loose you may end up breaking the tooth further or leaving part of it behind (ouch). Perhaps rinsing with warm salt water will help mitigate possible infection until you can see a dentist.

Get well,

Chad
The Following User Says Thank You to Greenstick For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2009, 12:03 AM

go to walgreens and get a capping kit, it holds for a long time and it's cheap. It's by the toothpaste. Seriously, it works.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anastacia129 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2009, 07:35 AM
READY&ABLE

did you see the movie "cast away" with tom hanks? get yourself a ice skate, a rock and a mirror....bash away....j/k....trust me i feel your pain! hope you get it fixed...
The Following User Says Thank You to aka"militiamike" For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2009, 08:50 AM
Gott Mit Uns

Thanked 1,535 Times in 809 Posts

The oral cavity is a direct rout for Bacteria to go directly to ur heart. U can wind up with endocarditits 3 months of IV antibiotics, also easily damage a valve in ur heart. That means open heart surgery. Took care of lots of people post op that were there from ur situation. Not something to take lightly. I will send u private msg. with details.

Last edited by jkc; 09-18-2009 at 08:56 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jkc For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2009, 09:17 AM
Trapper

Front teeth might be able to pull yourself, but molars? Very hard. The positions and angles are all wrong for self-work.

As mentioned above, its also possible to break off the roots when the top pulls off. My wisdom tooth one side did that. Then they had to get the little saw and work on the jawbone a bit. Yes I was awake for all my wisdom tooth extractions. Loud noises in my head as teeth and bones break.
The Following User Says Thank You to razadp For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2009, 09:33 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Patriot View Post
I have a broken molar.I can't get into the dentist till December. I have that book "where there is no dentist",useless. Real informative if I were a dental assistant or had some experience and the medications. I cannot perform surgery on myself like the book suggests. Can I just push and pull on the tooth to loosen it then pull it? What I'm afraid of is it cracking further and exposing the nerve or the roots breaking off up in the gum and becoming infected. What should I do? TP
Pray for government health care.........or continue to vote against your own best interests, in the Amurkin tradition..
Google up bad teeth and death.
Ahhhhh Dec is only 2 and a half months away.
Go down to that thar joonyer hi skool porking lot and buy some Vicadin to hold you through.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:40 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 6,839 Times in 3,529 Posts

go see a faith healer. not one of the fakes ones though.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:11 PM
Deus exsisto laus

I don't think I'll do the ice skate thing ! As for the government healthcare route,I'll pass. I'm in my mid 40's,I'd get sent to the back of the line ! Death panels and all ! I read your post, JKC,I went to my doctor today and he gave me some pain killers and antibiotics. I did try that temporary filling but it fell out. 1/4 of the crown is gone. Luckily, I'm not in pain. I'll keep the painkillers in case. Yeah,I didn't think self extraction was an option. I haven't lost a tooth since baby teeth in childhood so I was hoping it would be something simple like that. Looking at that book ,"Where there is no dentist",it seems considerably more involved than just wiggling it loose then pulling it. I found a different dentist that will pull it for $300.00 so I think I'll have it done. Thanks for all the replies guys. TP
Old 09-18-2009, 02:28 PM

I had a small cavity that broke one of the pointies off my one molar (bottom right) several years ago. As in like, 5+. I've tried gently chewing on that side, but find if food gets in it (aside from being gross) it will start a dull pain within about half an hour. I chew 99.9999999% on my left side, have for 5 years, no problems. My dentists keep trying to tell me it will hit the nerve and there'll be killer pain or whatever, so I've said if I start feeling any real pain (once in a while it's a dull thud for like an hour then it goes away. This is like once a week MAYBE.) I'll brave the needle and get it fixed.

Keep it clean and I'd say you're probably good.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:41 PM
Gott Mit Uns

Thanked 1,535 Times in 809 Posts

Do u have a dental school near u. If u let them "practice" on u, it's free or little cost. We have Indiana U here and lots of people I know do this. Glad to hear u are doing better.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:23 PM
I never finish anyth

OK, molars have either three or four roots going into your jaw. If the top of your tooth is broken and the tooth is starting to soften, DO NOT try to pull it out. A root could break off and that's where the dentist begins to dig. You, on the other hand, will not be able to extract the root and will be in worse pain than before. Like it has been mentioned, an open rear molar cavity is an open port to heart inflammation. You would also risk giving yourself a painful case of TMJ, and without health care, you will feel everything that touches your face times 10.

Get yourself to the drug store, (Riteaid carries this) and purchase a temporary tooth filling kit. It will at least cover the open tooth and nerve and give you the ability to use your tooth somewhat. It's a small (small) jar of paste that cures while in the mouth and is meant for home use. I have some in my first aid kit. It's about $5 and is worth every dime!

Last edited by rubycat; 09-23-2009 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 09-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Recent Blog:
I am Defendor

Quote:
Is it hurting?
Do you have an absess?
If it is broken in to the soft part it is/ or will absess.
I know a guy he got his tooth pulled at swap meet once, I am not suggesting this at all, I am just saying I know a guy that did it.

Tequila lots of tequila is what I use when I have a toothache and cannot go to the dentist. Again I am not suggesting this but this is what I have done.
The alcohol kills the nerve.
It will not hurt so much as long as the absess can drain, if that pressure builds OH BOY.Usually there is a hole some where in the tooth so if I would keep that hole cleaned/scraped out the pressure would not build up but you have to take the scraping.
Again this is not a good situation, it needs immediate attention from a dentist.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:28 AM
Deus exsisto laus

Well, I got it pulled today! Apparently there had been a cavity and a chunck of the tooth broke off. Luckily, the nerve wasn't exposed. TP
Old 09-24-2009, 07:08 AM
Permaculturist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc View Post
The oral cavity is a direct rout for Bacteria to go directly to ur heart. U can wind up with endocarditits 3 months of IV antibiotics, also easily damage a valve in ur heart. That means open heart surgery. Took care of lots of people post op that were there from ur situation. Not something to take lightly. I will send u private msg. with details.
Very accurate post.

If you get that far in terms of damage to the heart, there are new options in both cardiac & thoracic surgery called "minimally invasive" that don't require the ribcage to be cracked & spread. One of the best valve repair surgeons on the east coast, who pioneered some of the minimally invasive techniques (and instruments) is Dr. Goldman of Philadelphia, PA who practices at Lankenau Hospital. If you need any form of cardiac or thoracic surgery, try to go the minimally invasive route as it results in much shorter periods of downtime and risk of secondary complications.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:10 AM
Permaculturist

Quote:
Well, I got it pulled today! Apparently there had been a cavity and a chunck of the tooth broke off. Luckily, the nerve wasn't exposed. TP
Congratulations!@
Old 09-29-2009, 10:02 PM
g-bah

I bought tooth extractors on ebay for cheap. Now, I have no intention of using them on myself, but if the shtf and an infection that will not just go away on it's own appears, then at least I have tools that are meant to go in the mouth (unlike ice skates). I just wish they came with diagrams.......