Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 09-16-2009, 07:25 PM
Hiker

Default Best option for SKS sights

Advertise Here

My eyes are getting older and I am having trouble seeing the rear sight of my SKS. What would be the best option a red dot rear sight or a mini scope 4x or 6x? I like using stripper clips as I believe the SKS works best when left stock.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Hillbilly

If its just the rear sight your having trouble with and you like it stock then you might want to consider a tech-sight rear aperture sight.put one on mine and it was the best thing ive ever bought for it.ive tried scopes and different mounts but i like the tech sight better.if your set on a scope then im sure youll get plent of responses to help you out.here's the link.http://www.tech-sights.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to rseburton For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2009, 08:01 PM

This is what is on mine... love it

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=556287
Old 09-16-2009, 08:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,628 Times in 832 Posts

I vote for tech sights. Williams doesn't seem to work quite right.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,673 Times in 2,236 Posts

yeah i agree but my 51 yr old eyes [Iron sights]could hit at 300 yrds and hit well with the ar .close with the sks. my 19 and 16 yr olds nailed them with both. and i like the sk sights better but the ar was more acurate for me so go figure?
Old 09-16-2009, 11:38 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,802 Times in 1,753 Posts

Tech sights or a drill on lyman peep sight is excellent. Try out someone's AR-15, the tech sight is a duplicate of it.

SKS is not the ideal scoped rifle. You really need to drill and cut a relief in the side of the stock to make a scope mount work well. Here's a fixed side mount that still allows you to use the iron sights.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/...cope/index.asp

Just so you know, there is a man in his 70's that frequents my range. He shoots 1" or less groups with several different rifles, all with peep sights. You eye naturally centers itself to the rear sight hole. For high accuracy shots, a consistent cheek weld is needed. But, this will maybe drag your shot off by 1" or so at 100 yards. Maybe bad for 400 yard shots, but 100-200 yard shots no big deal when deer hunting.

Peep sights have a HUGE field of vision, versus 20-50ft of a scope. This is my prefered way of using a rifle. Besides shotguns, roughly 3/4's of my guns are peep sighted. I only have 1 30-30 and 1 22lr that have scopes. Plenty of squirrel and deer dinner here and a couple of nice coyote pelts on the couch back. Good enough for quigley. Good enough for every modern military in the world too.
The Following User Says Thank You to sailinghudson25 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2009, 12:34 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 91,511 Times in 30,589 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrooster View Post
My eyes are getting older and I am having trouble seeing the rear sight of my SKS. What would be the best option a red dot rear sight or a mini scope 4x or 6x? I like using stripper clips as I believe the SKS works best when left stock.
I'll tell you what works best for my bad eyes. A combination of the Tech-Sight on the rear and a KNS crosshair front. It's fast to acquire, and centering the crosshair in the peep gives outstanding precision.

A reflex sight is a natural choice for the SKS. The problem is that short of a gunsmithing mount like the Choate or a rear sight replacement mount like the Millet, there are no easy methods of mounting an optic that are stable. Reciever dust covers aren't stable. Gas tube mounts are just downright idiotic.

UTG makes a trirail that covers the upper handguard and is stable, but it adds weight and bulk and can be a bit pricey. I have a reflex sight mounted far forward on one and it's very fast to sight and shoot with.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:43 AM
Knife Maker

www.tech-sights.com

Definitely the way to go.
The Following User Says Thank You to dmac27 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2009, 06:40 PM
Recent Blog:
I am Defendor

I have a SKS I want to put the type of sight that is on the m16A2. Probably the two apatures will not work perfectly correct but it gives complete adjustability with lots and lots of adjustment.
the tech sight is close but still is not what I really want.
There is a M16A2 style site that fits on a picanny rail that I found.
I think there is a upper reciever that has a picanny style rail but I am not sure from the picture.
The next problem is the front sight elevation probably needs another 1/4" because of all the parts stacked up in the back.
I am probably just waxing nostalgic because I really loved the A2.
I was also wondering about a decent Red dot but the data is so complex trying to figure out what you need is a headache.
I have a freind that put a walmart red dot on his AK and loves it I put a walmart scope on my 10/22 and it fell apart so no more optic from walmart thank you
I would really like to find a company that just makes good ole iron sites like on the A2 with the parts to offset the front site post correctly and the flip site with the rear site correctly offset for bullet drop.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,099 Times in 949 Posts

"I'll tell you what works best for my bad eyes. A combination of the Tech-Sight on the rear and a KNS crosshair front. It's fast to acquire, and centering the crosshair in the peep gives outstanding precision."

This is exactly what I'm leaning towards myself................but I may just try the initial skinnier post from tech sights first. It's only a 5 dollar gamble for the post. Add some white paint and see if I can pick it up better or some phosphorous paint. Some folks like the original rear and just add the skinnier front post. I've also seen a set of nite sights---but pricey and I don't think I'd shoot any better 99% of the time with them.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:18 PM
VIP Member

Definitely tech-sights.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:05 PM
Recent Blog:
I am Defendor

What kind of real range are you getting from your SKS's
Mine is a chineese type but in really good shape I have only begun playing with it.
I am thinking it should reliably hit out to 200 meters (yards if you want).
If you tell me a range then what kind of sight and what is the dope you are using.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:25 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 91,511 Times in 30,589 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnan88 View Post
There is a M16A2 style site that fits on a picanny rail that I found.
I think there is a upper reciever that has a picanny style rail but I am not sure from the picture.
It's not going to be any more stable with an iron sight mounted on it than it is with an optic. The dust cover is not a good place for mounting any sighting system. I sell several types of dust cover mounts for the SKS, and in testing, none of them held zero very well. I explain this to customers before they buy to make sure they understand, but some of them seem to think I'm blowing smoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnan88 View Post
What kind of real range are you getting from your SKS's
Mine is a chineese type but in really good shape I have only begun playing with it.
I am thinking it should reliably hit out to 200 meters (yards if you want).
If you tell me a range then what kind of sight and what is the dope you are using.
If you have a good shooting SKS (most are, some aren't), you shouldn't have any problems hitting to 300 yards with some practice. The big problem with such a light bullet is wind. There is a LOT of drift once you get past 150 yards or so.

SKSes are generally more accurate than people give them credit for. The main causes of innaccuracy with the SKS are the horrid trigger (can be improved), the course military sights, and most of all, the crappy ammo we feed them. With a more precise sighting system and good ammo, they surprise a lot of folks with their accuracy.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Recent Blog:
I am Defendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
It's not going to be any more stable with an iron sight mounted on it than it is with an optic. The dust cover is not a good place for mounting any sighting system. I sell several types of dust cover mounts for the SKS, and in testing, none of them held zero very well. I explain this to customers before they buy to make sure they understand, but some of them seem to think I'm blowing smoke.

If you have a good shooting SKS (most are, some aren't), you shouldn't have any problems hitting to 300 yards with some practice. The big problem with such a light bullet is wind. There is a LOT of drift once you get past 150 yards or so.

SKSes are generally more accurate than people give them credit for. The main causes of innaccuracy with the SKS are the horrid trigger (can be improved), the course military sights, and most of all, the crappy ammo we feed them. With a more precise sighting system and good ammo, they surprise a lot of folks with their accuracy.
Thanks Mike especially for the part about the upper reciever not being stable.
that is a great point.

I have a freind that uses a cheap red dot on his AK, but I don't know anything about red dots. He swear by it.

I like to sight out to the beginning of the steep bullet drop "4" to 8"" or just past the second convergence point, then just leave things alone, I like to zero the windage on a calm day and just leave it alone.
I depend allot on good ole kentuky windage and elevation.
If you know the ballistics and the range you are trying to hit it is easy to guess the elevation, windage is by feel.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,802 Times in 1,753 Posts

I have a SKS with a lyman peep sight, a reworked trigger, and developed handloads. I am getting 3-4" groups at 100 yards with iron sights. I hand the gun to more experienced handlers, they get 2" groups.

My only centerfires rifle calibers I own are .30-30 and SKS, both similar ballistics. 200-300 yards is really pushing it with open sights, but the caliber runs out of steam past 250 anyways.

The biggest problem with iron sight is using a big enough target to aim at. At 100 yards or 50 use a painted paper plate or spray paint an accurate circle with a template. Now the front post is surrounded by the target, put the gun in the middle.

This will instantly make 3" groups into 1" groups at 100 yard. Even a 12" circle will do well at 100 yards.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:35 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 11,909 Times in 4,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrooster View Post
I have had real good luck with a Holo Sight I have mounted on a Marlin 1894 lever gun. I think the bigger problem will be getting a stable scope mount for the SKS rifle. Like a lot of military surplus guns it was just not made for an optic sight. Perhaps consider mounting a Peep sight?

I stopped buying non scoped rifles when I turned 44 years old. Instead of an SKS, I spent more cash and bought a Ruger Mini-30.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:29 PM
Boolit Master

If you want something stable you have two choices mainly ether a drill and tap mount on the side of the receiver. I have one of these on my Yugo http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/...cope/index.asp

or you can replace the rear sight assembly with a scout mount and red dot sight. http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2...emnt/index.asp
Old 09-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Be Prepared

Quote:
This is exactly what I'm leaning towards myself................but I may just try the initial skinnier post from tech sights first. It's only a 5 dollar gamble for the post. Add some white paint and see if I can pick it up better or some phosphorous paint. Some folks like the original rear and just add the skinnier front post. I've also seen a set of nite sights---but pricey and I don't think I'd shoot any better 99% of the time with them.
Woody,

I think you will like the skinny front sight. I started out with the Williams firesight on the front with the Tech Sight rear. I bought the small T/S front and found it to be much better for finer shooting. In fact, I just got a S&W M&P15 and keep griping at how wide the front sight is after shooting my SKS for so long.

Like you said, it's only 5 bucks, so it's worth a shot.