Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 09-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,823 Times in 2,453 Posts
Default How do you find preppers in your area?

Advertise Here

We all know to maintain opsec about our preps, but we also are stronger if we can have the aid of other preppers and learn skills from them, maybe even the possibility of mutual defense, etc.
How do you find like-minded people around you who are also trying like you are to stay hidden with their preps?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lanahi For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,188 Times in 4,116 Posts

I usually set a snare trap baited with a box of ammo, along with an MRE. Works every time.

Donate to help this forum.
www.survivalistboards.com/payments.php

New Solar Powered Backup Generator Provides Instant Electrical Power In Any Outage Or Disaster.
http://images.ultracart.com/aff/E1DE...800/index.html
Old 09-12-2009, 08:54 PM

Location: Columbus, where the bomb in Jerico didn't explode!!

Well you're at a good place to start finding a few...try other forums and see who responds...
Old 09-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Ron Swanson 2016

Thanked 24,624 Times in 12,791 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

I thought everyone in Idaho was a pepper
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2009, 09:32 PM
pack light, move quietly.

Default Signs of a Prepper

1. Alternative energy on their property.
2. An outhouse over their septic tank.
3. Five or six of the exact same 1982 Chevy truck, only one complete.
4. Good lines of defense with high fences.
5. A pack of viscous (appearing) dogs.
6. Extra fuel tanks.
7. A big garden plot.
8. An over sized tractor for their acreage.

Anyway, these are some things that might clue you in. How do you approach? Park at the fence, show your face and hands clearly, honk your horn and leave when asked. Best of luck.

JK Rob
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hafcafdcaf For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Spooky

Thanked 1,416 Times in 642 Posts

If you're in the 'burbs and see a chicken coop, they're preppin'.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stevegee58 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Grouchy Infidel

Thanked 3,166 Times in 888 Posts

You being in north central Idaho they are probably your neighbors.
Seriously, Idaho was and still is the premier retreat state.

But if you are finding it difficult to find some I'd start at a local farmers market, sporting goods store, also check the preppers network for Idaho. You should be able to find local town meetings regarding current situations related to your town or environment, often at these meetings you'll run into like minds.

I met most of my group at a farmer's stock sale and at a local farm bureau meeting. I bought some calves at a meeting, when I drove out to pick them up we got to talking about the goings on. Then they had my kids over and vice versa, lead to helping when it was time to get hay up and so on.

It talks talking though, that's where it begins.
The Following User Says Thank You to SmokinOnion For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,944 Times in 2,806 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegee58 View Post
If you're in the 'burbs and see a chicken coop, they're preppin'.
We just recently decided to put a chicken coop in. Although it isn't legal in our muncipality, we have noticed several neighbors have put in coops and are not even trying to hide them from view. City ordinance worker in this area doesn't seem to have a problem with it (I guess we have the only city ordinance worker in the entire state who actually gets out and drives his beat regularly because I see him about once a week or so.)

That said, you will not be able to see our coop from the street. And if you look over the fence it will look like a regular storage shed. No need to draw attention to yourself if it is not absolutely necessary. I guess if the chickens are out in the yard foraging though the gig will be up!

To the OP: Every single person we have met has been through the internet. My husband does the initial contact. I would have to say that probably 90% of the people we have met have turned out to be good folks. The other 10% have just not contacted him back after he revealed his occupation (LEO). Funny how that works ... (Not that I mind. )
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2009, 12:29 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,823 Times in 2,453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinOnion View Post
You being in north central Idaho they are probably your neighbors.
Seriously, Idaho was and still is the premier retreat state.

But if you are finding it difficult to find some I'd start at a local farmers market, sporting goods store, also check the preppers network for Idaho. You should be able to find local town meetings regarding current situations related to your town or environment, often at these meetings you'll run into like minds.

I met most of my group at a farmer's stock sale and at a local farm bureau meeting. I bought some calves at a meeting, when I drove out to pick them up we got to talking about the goings on. Then they had my kids over and vice versa, lead to helping when it was time to get hay up and so on.

It talks talking though, that's where it begins.
They likely ARE my neighbors! But I can't really go up to them and say, "Hi, are you a fellow prepper?" Or can I?
I have met a fine couple here, took a nature walk with them to identify wild edible plants, and thoroughly enjoyed it, but they were also looking for others in the area. Not much going on for political meetings and such...Idaho is so red-state that there isn't anyone to debate with and it takes all the challenge away!
I agree Idaho is the premier retreat state and most people here would be sympathetic to the "cause".
Old 09-13-2009, 06:13 AM
Spooky

Thanked 1,416 Times in 642 Posts

I have no intention of meeting fellow preppers in my area since the plan is to law low and not attract attention when TSHTF. But I'm planning on talking to one of my neighbors about his chickens to get some ideas; I don't see any way around tipping my hand if he's a prepper too.

Prepper is as prepper does; there's no need to be bold and ask outright.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:34 AM
Editor, Ready Magazine

Use this board and ask. It is working here in Texas. Several of us have started a network for Central Texas and are building it up.

You can try the same thing for your area.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Semper Fi

Don't know if this site is any good, but here ya go.
http://idahopreppers.blogspot.com/
Old 09-13-2009, 01:51 PM

I cant find any in Connecticut
Old 09-13-2009, 04:47 PM

Try looking here:

http://www.meetup.com/

it is similar to Craig's list (grouped by cities/location) where people with mutual interests try to "meet up". Everything from book clubs, coffee/tea/beer enthusiasts and even a few gun and knife clubs. It may work for your area. I am not affiliated with the web site and only been there a few times.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Grouchy Infidel

Thanked 3,166 Times in 888 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanahi View Post
They likely ARE my neighbors! But I can't really go up to them and say, "Hi, are you a fellow prepper?" Or can I?
I have met a fine couple here, took a nature walk with them to identify wild edible plants, and thoroughly enjoyed it, but they were also looking for others in the area. Not much going on for political meetings and such...Idaho is so red-state that there isn't anyone to debate with and it takes all the challenge away!
I agree Idaho is the premier retreat state and most people here would be sympathetic to the "cause".
Any time you can get into a local barter/exchange kind of situation you'll have a high chance of crossing paths, at least in my experience this worked. Take something you've grown or made or have extra of, over to your neighbors and offer it up. This can break the ice in a good way and open up some communication.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:10 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhedroom View Post
I cant find any in Connecticut
I just find this blog site. So I can't attest to how good they are etc., etc. Nor do I know how good the sites they list for each state are. Mine seems ok so far. If anybody clicks on the top link and goes to the main page the individual states are listed on the left hand side. Proceed at your own risk. Having performed some form of CYA here's the links.
Here's the main link.
http://americanpreppersnetwork.blogspot.com/
Here is the link for your state. There is even a RSS feed available
http://connecticutpreppersnetwork.blogspot.com/
Old 09-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Recent Blog:
Hunter

Thanked 1,146 Times in 478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric_Knight View Post
Use this board and ask. It is working here in Texas. Several of us have started a network for Central Texas and are building it up.

You can try the same thing for your area.
Yep, and workin well in Oklahoma as well. Drop by the Oklahoma Group and check it out. We are meeting monthly to break bread and just finished up a weekend camp out - in the pouring down rain. We are forming bonds of dedication to those other locals and growing through the experience into better preppers and patriots I think. It takes commitment of our time and friendship to those others in the Group and worth every minute.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,062 Times in 2,567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafcafdcaf View Post
1. Alternative energy on their property.
2. An outhouse over their septic tank.
3. Five or six of the exact same 1982 Chevy truck, only one complete.
4. Good lines of defense with high fences.
5. A pack of viscous (appearing) dogs.
6. Extra fuel tanks.
7. A big garden plot.
8. An over sized tractor for their acreage.

Anyway, these are some things that might clue you in. How do you approach? Park at the fence, show your face and hands clearly, honk your horn and leave when asked. Best of luck.

JK Rob

if i seen someone like this. i would introduce myself and ask questions about their garden.tell them the way this economy looks your just starting a garden and want to learn how to cann. you was wandering how they do theirs? ask questions do you fertilize?what kind of veggies grow in this area?...ect maybe offer to grow something they dont have and maybe do a little swaping of veggies.dont rush get to know them 1st slowly hint about it after a few visits. when you got bugs or a disease plant ask him what it is and how to fix it. every visit drop 1 hint that your prepping. after they are use to you and getting confortable with you maybe ask where is there areas to go hunting you just arnt haven any good luck or maybe ask if they would like some deer meat your freezer is full and you cant eat it all everyone likes ppl who brings in food.or where the neariest gun range is you need to sight in your weapons.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:22 PM
Prepared

Thanked 11,951 Times in 5,567 Posts

I've camped in northern and southern Idaho, and enjoyed them each. Mountains or Craters of the Moon and nuclear contaminated sites. Seems to me I remember driving through Arco and seeing a sign "This river is our destiny", but the riverbed was dry and long-since dammed up. In many ways, Idaho is what you don't want to do for energy (dump contaminated water back into the aquifer).

We bring our own water/beer whenever we camp there, but enjoy the scenery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBooker44 View Post
I thought everyone in Idaho was a pepper
Old 09-16-2009, 04:29 PM
Target Shooter

Try hanging out at the range on "off" days, when most of the weekenders are not around but also don't discount weekends as a whole.
4x4 clubs.
Gun shops.
If you have kids try 4-H.
local gardening/canning clubs.
etc etc etc....

Gotta run its raining out and I have tools left outside!!