Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 09-07-2009, 02:15 AM
Getting there....

Default Preppers...

Advertise Here

Does anyone know if survivalism/preparedness is as prevalent in non-Western countries? Around here, everyone is from Europe or former British Commonwealth nations ( Australia, Canada, South Africa, etc. ). What about Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Thailand, India, etc?
Old 09-07-2009, 01:10 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 102,319 Times in 33,025 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by solinvictus View Post
Does anyone know if survivalism/preparedness is as prevalent in non-Western countries? Around here, everyone is from Europe or former British Commonwealth nations ( Australia, Canada, South Africa, etc. ). What about Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Thailand, India, etc?
I'd think a lot of it depends on how much they held on to tradition. Most cultures knew to stay prepared the best they could. They have all gone through famines and disasters, and had known to stockpile what they could for their family's safety.

I'm sure a lot of modernized cultures have adopted the same "hand to mouth" method of feeding their family now. Where they buy only enough at a time for a few days worth of meals.

I know several local korean families, and they are definately hardcore preppers. They've been through it in Korea. It's just in their nature to plan for the future.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:16 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,027 Times in 440 Posts

I think it's part of daily life in those 3rd world shyt holes.

Not like its preparing for SHTF, because a lot of them are already living what we would consider SHTF right now.
The Following User Says Thank You to boy george fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2009, 12:44 PM
cute is not always enough

I would not survivalism/preparedness is as prevalent in Canada but there are plenty of people who prepare at different levels. I think it is mostly an urban vs rural issue and Canada's urbanization is just about the same as the US.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,690 Posts

I sure hope Japan is. I know a couple folks over there, in Osaka and Tokyo. I'll have to ask. They have had some pretty significant events there. WWII, Sarin gas incident and some big earthquakes.

Thailand, Cambodia and other places in SEA, now way dude. They cannot even afford a newspaper and their communication system is about level with smoke signals.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:47 PM
RH-O Negative

Thanked 3,314 Times in 1,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy george fan View Post
I think it's part of daily life in those 3rd world shyt holes.

Not like its preparing for SHTF, because a lot of them are already living what we would consider SHTF right now.
I believe that you are correct in that other countries do things just to survive and they don't know that they have it any worse than the rest of the world.

I was stationed in Honduras for two years and the people there, especially in the mountain and rural areas have a very rough life compared to ours. They really don't know another way to live though. Many use oxen and cows to plow their fields to grow crops, or sons and son in laws if there are no animals available.

My wife and 3 sons are from Honduras but they have always live in the city and had a pretty good life there, but the country folks are far ahead of us in survival skills because they live it every day.
The Following User Says Thank You to mastersergeant For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Target Shooter

In a lot of parts of Canada people are WAY more prepped as a normal way of life. We've gotten away from it here as a society because of the instant gratification era. Everything is right down the road... People don't even contemplate keeping extra even in their pantry most of the time. Heck a lot of folks don't even HAVE a pantry of any kind.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smoke63b For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2009, 12:40 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 102,319 Times in 33,025 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKpredator View Post
Thailand, Cambodia and other places in SEA, now way dude. They cannot even afford a newspaper and their communication system is about level with smoke signals.
You can bet that they have a helluva lot of rice and dried fish stocked back though. The asians are some of the most self sufficient people I know of. It's a big part of their culture.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post: