Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 08-31-2009, 03:32 PM
Maximus

Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,113 Posts
Default Old Cell Phones with no service CAN still call 911

Advertise Here

I know many people who choose not to have cell phones because they don't want to be reached, don't want to sign up for any plan or various other reasons.

But in case there are people that still did not know, ANY OLD CELL PHONE can still dial 911 as long as it has a charge or car-charger. You do NOT need to have service plan, contract, minutes, or provider to call 911.

It is absolutely free and you can still remain "off the grid". It isnt connected to your name in anyway unless you give it to the 911 operator. All you need is power and reception.

I gave one to my grandmother before she died to keep in her car with a car charger just in case. She kept it in there for 8 years and never used it and never paied anything for it. But if she ever needed 911 in the vehicle there would be something to use.

I am sure most people know this by now, but for those that did not know I just wanted to bring it up a reminder. For the price of a junk cell phone and charger, you can always have a line to help if ever needed. (how good that help would be is up for debate but at least there is something).
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2009, 06:59 PM
Ron Swanson 2016

Thanked 26,126 Times in 13,666 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Great point vicdotcom. Something else to keep in mind along the same lines. Hard wired phones that do not have service will also work with 911 and 611.

When I was a beat cop I used to collect every workable phone I could find and give them to Domestic Violence victims without phone service. Told them to stash it where assclown wouldn't find it. Often the abuser will not allow phone service in the house to keep the victim dependent. Just dial 911 and set the phone down. The operator will hear what is going on.

My .05
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2009, 07:03 PM
Recent Blog:
Nerd

Yea Vic that is a greatly helpful post, and Booker, that is a wonderful thing to do for someone. I know I have a bunch of old cell phones sitting around with their chargers..maybe time to throw all of em in a car trunk in case something happens to my normal cellphone!
The Following User Says Thank You to MattSmith For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2009, 07:10 PM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSmith View Post
I know I have a bunch of old cell phones sitting around with their chargers..maybe time to throw all of em in a car trunk in case something happens to my normal cellphone!
Each one will still be able to call 911 even without a SIM card. Maybe donate a few to a battered woman's center like SgtBooker did. He is right about control freaks often taking away the phones of their wives.
The Following User Says Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2011, 08:37 AM
Maximus

Another thread being discussed made the remember this thread. Reviving it for all the new folks on the forum!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2011, 08:43 AM
Bravo Zulu

Thanked 10,936 Times in 5,226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdotcom View Post
I know many people who choose not to have cell phones because they don't want to be reached, don't want to sign up for any plan or various other reasons.

But in case there are people that still did not know, ANY OLD CELL PHONE can still dial 911 as long as it has a charge or car-charger. You do NOT need to have service plan, contract, minutes, or provider to call 911.

It is absolutely free and you can still remain "off the grid". It isnt connected to your name in anyway unless you give it to the 911 operator. All you need is power and reception.

I gave one to my grandmother before she died to keep in her car with a car charger just in case. She kept it in there for 8 years and never used it and never paied anything for it. But if she ever needed 911 in the vehicle there would be something to use.

I am sure most people know this by now, but for those that did not know I just wanted to bring it up a reminder. For the price of a junk cell phone and charger, you can always have a line to help if ever needed. (how good that help would be is up for debate but at least there is something).
If there's no cell tower nearby, there's no antenna to receive what you're transmitting and you ain't calling no one, 911 or otherwise.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamboRoberts View Post
If there's no cell tower nearby, there's no antenna to receive what you're transmitting and you ain't calling no one, 911 or otherwise.
Well no kidding LOL

But how many of us have moved to Cell Phone Only households? Cancelled the home phone because it was not used anymore.

We did. But the problem is that our cell phone is usually on the charger in the kitchen. Our safe rooms are located at the back of the house. So now we keep a few old phones in the safe rooms and our kids room. No good except to call 911.

That way you don't have to fumble around moving about the house looking for a phone in case there is an emergency. Whether it is intruder, tornado, hurricane, heart attack etc etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2011, 09:06 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,685 Times in 691 Posts

For an at home safe room for my kids, I would not use an old phone which has not been used for who knows how long for their safety. Do you really want your kids to find out the hard way that the battery is dead, or the phone does not work as you hoped? There is no legal way to verify that the phone will work as you hope. This is synonymous with using an antique gun never shot for your personal security.

Spend the money on a cheap phone you know works.

I provide both of my kids a functional cell phone for their own personal use. The limited plan they have is only $8 per month, they have never used more than the low minutes allowed on this plan.

My kids safety is worth the money.
The Following User Says Thank You to ULTRAMAGNUM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2011, 09:09 AM
Target Shooter

Another thing to remember is that even where you wouldn't normally get cell service, the phone can still reach 911. As I understand it cell phones work on different power levels. Normal phone calls get placed at lower levels, but as soon as you dial 911 it boosts it to the top power level, so it will reach that distant tower. It won't work out in the wilderness, but it will get through when using it in areas with spotty reception. I keep an old Motorolla Razr in my car in case I have to call 911. I charged it up about a year ago and it still has about 1/3 of the battery life.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeff92 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2011, 09:16 AM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff92 View Post
Another thing to remember is that even where you wouldn't normally get cell service, the phone can still reach 911. As I understand it cell phones work on different power levels. Normal phone calls get placed at lower levels, but as soon as you dial 911 it boosts it to the top power level, so it will reach that distant tower. It won't work out in the wilderness, but it will get through when using it in areas with spotty reception. I keep an old Motorolla Razr in my car in case I have to call 911. I charged it up about a year ago and it still has about 1/3 of the battery life.
Yep you are right. Even if you get no bars of service you will still be able to reach 911 through another providers service. The only two exceptions is if the area gets NO cell reception from ANY carrier or if it is analog only area and you have digital signal only phone.

If you have T-mobile and no bars of service, and your friend has ATT and gets service at the same spot, you can still call 911 if your phone has no bars.

Here are the FCC regulations on the subject. I used to work for Sprint PCS

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts...ss911srvc.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2011, 09:19 AM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAMAGNUM View Post
For an at home safe room for my kids, I would not use an old phone which has not been used for who knows how long for their safety. Do you really want your kids to find out the hard way that the battery is dead, or the phone does not work as you hoped? There is no legal way to verify that the phone will work as you hope. This is synonymous with using an antique gun never shot for your personal security.

Spend the money on a cheap phone you know works.

I provide both of my kids a functional cell phone for their own personal use. The limited plan they have is only $8 per month, they have never used more than the low minutes allowed on this plan.

My kids safety is worth the money.
Ohh heck yea test it out. Test out ANY GEAR you are going to rely on. It would be silly not to. Legal way to do it will be to call the provider stated on the phone or any provider and ask them. They will inform you.
The Following User Says Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,343 Times in 1,096 Posts

walmart and some other big chains cant wait to get their hands on those old cell phones because they have approx.5/10 dollars of gold per phone in them.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/bryantpark/..._new_gold.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Alligatorgars For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2011, 10:34 AM
Procrastinate Now

Thanked 3,184 Times in 795 Posts

I have to respond to calls for service a lot with uninitiated cell phones. Parents let their little kids play with the old cell phones because they have video games on them, and of course, the call 911 on them. The up side is that with current technology we can trace where the call is coming from.
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnWStiner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,814 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff92 View Post
...... I keep an old Motorolla Razr in my car in case I have to call 911. I charged it up about a year ago and it still has about 1/3 of the battery life.
Which reminds me, why is it that those old phones sure seem to keep their charge FAR longer than the new ones do? I have an old Nokia that I keep around for just such mentioned emergencies. I charge it like once a month, leave it off, and when I turn it on to check it out, the charge is still full. why won't the new ones do that?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ColoradoWildcat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoWildcat View Post
Which reminds me, why is it that those old phones sure seem to keep their charge FAR longer than the new ones do? I have an old Nokia that I keep around for just such mentioned emergencies. I charge it like once a month, leave it off, and when I turn it on to check it out, the charge is still full. why won't the new ones do that?

Planned obsolescence?
Old 05-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Healthy Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoWildcat View Post
Because that Motorola Razr that was being talked about didn't do things like have a large screen, play back and stream movies, youtube, etc, have a turn by turn navigation that replaced the one in your vehicle. It had a minimal music player that was limited to like 150 songs, no email downloaded in the background, no fm tuner.
In short, it didn't do any of the things we ask smartphones to do today, and those are the things that drain battery life so much.
The Following User Says Thank You to stanimal For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Kibitzer

Thanked 3,292 Times in 2,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBooker44 View Post
Hard wired phones that do not have service will also work with 911 and 611.
My .05
Not really, depends on phone company.
If there's not a jumper on cable pair, no 911.
Not configured right in switch, no 911.

BTW, is your old cell phone an analog or digital.
You can be standing beside tower with an analog cell and get no service cause it's digital tower now.

Last edited by bltjr1951; 05-07-2011 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: btw
Old 05-07-2011, 03:20 PM
Healthy Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bltjr1951 View Post
BTW, is your old cell phone an analog or digital.
You can be standing beside tower with an analog cell and get no service cause it's digital tower now.
So you're saying that this one won't work?

Old 05-07-2011, 03:26 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 9,096 Times in 4,524 Posts

Not that I'd ever call 911 but I tried it. Didn't work.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Target Shooter

Keep em they work. One for the RV, Boat, Attic. ..