Combat styles: Pros and cons? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Socialized vs Fee for Service healthcare...the pros and cons slackercruster General Discussion 158 03-03-2017 08:39 AM
Pros and Cons about belonging to groups gwilli3 General Discussion 48 02-02-2017 04:34 PM
pros and cons of a lever action rifle cook Rifle Forum 63 01-25-2017 07:18 PM
Pros and Cons of Striker vs. External Hammer AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 11-21-2016 10:00 AM
.40-Is this a "bad" round, Please - Pros and Cons..96 Beretta? 5keepers Firearms General Discussion 43 10-31-2016 10:13 PM

Old 05-19-2017, 07:25 PM

Default Combat styles: Pros and cons?

Advertise Here

Based on your personal experiences, what style of combat do you think is the best one to train in if you want to be able to physically defend yourself in hand-to-hand combat in the event you do not have a weapon handy?
Old 05-20-2017, 12:31 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Raskin View Post
Based on your personal experiences, what style of combat do you think is the best one to train in if you want to be able to physically defend yourself in hand-to-hand combat in the event you do not have a weapon handy?
Krav maga is a good starter but what you really want is combatives the mixed martial arts the marines and special forces learn tends to be really good. Also dont assume you have to fight with honor play dirty as all hell win the fight and escape there is no such thing as a fair fight outside of sporting events like boxing.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:50 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,514 Times in 612 Posts

Street fighting, -bar fights- experience. EDC Knife, minimum. Handgun. The more the better.
I didn't answer your question, exactly, but bring everything you can, along with the attitude, that you Will WIN!
MMA Iz good too!

-- Veteran of too many fights..
The Following User Says Thank You to AIMwell For This Useful Post:

Old 05-20-2017, 12:53 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,564 Times in 984 Posts

Thumbs high to TGJ. Krav is a great start. Do you want to disarm, maim or even beyond that? Simply staying fit and training in ground fighting will serve you best. Very rare that fights don't end up on the ground.
The Following User Says Thank You to Denny367 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2017, 02:04 AM

Muy Thai, American Boxing, Ju jitsu. I practiced Kajukenbo for a while, which I thought was practical and good stuff. Until I went to the Muy Thai gym my buddy taught at.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wilderness medic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2017, 02:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,400 Times in 2,904 Posts

My training is/was Judo, Kickboxing, TKD, Army combatives, and LEO style pressure point compliance training. I feel that I could probably defend myself pretty well against most individuals, but I'm no hard*** that's for sure. I'm in my 40s and not in the shape I used to be in. But I'm working to fix that.

I'd say the best is all or a combination of: BBJ, MMA, Judo, Ninjitsu, some form of boxing and kicking. Some basic weapon fighting (e.g. knife and stick).

Ground fighters will nearly always win, but you have to be able to take and give solid punches, elbows, kicks, and knees. You also have to know how to fall, and avoid falling. An improper fall can be the beginning and end of the fight. So dropping someone with a fast hip or shoulder throw can end the fight right there. Imagine taking a 4' forcefall fall onto the blacktop! You'll also want to know holds, arm/leg bars, choke holds, etc. These can also end a fight immediately, and you'll want to learn to avoid being put in them. A trained fighter can almost effortlessly put an unsuspecting person in a fight ending hold or arm/leg bar.

I carry a gun and knife everywhere legal. If I'm in a fist fight it's a losing proposition and FAR too risky. A better fighter, lucky punch, or numbers could end it quickly. To that end, it's best to never be without some weapon, even a knife or club of sorts. But sometimes you may be totally disarmed.

Avoid the artys martial arts that spend too much time on silly forms and katas like Karate, TKD, Kung fu, etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2017, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post

Avoid the artys martial arts that spend too much time on silly forms and katas like Karate, TKD, Kung fu, etc.
Wouldn't Ninjitsu fall into this
The Following User Says Thank You to wilderness medic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2017, 02:55 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderness medic View Post
pretty sure ninjitsu is focused on stealth and killing silently i heard from japanese who swear by the way of the samari that if a ninja failed to catch a samari by surprise he did not have a chance no idea how true that is though.

however ninjitsu does focus on stealthy silent killing much like the navy seals of today do. Unless it changed/adapted as times changed.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Gun Jabberwocky View Post
pretty sure ninjitsu is focused on stealth and killing silently i heard from japanese who swear by the way of the samari that if a ninja failed to catch a samari by surprise he did not have a chance no idea how true that is though.

however ninjitsu does focus on stealthy silent killing much like the navy seals of today do. Unless it changed/adapted as times changed.
Ninjitsu was mostly espionage and outdated stuff. Do you really need to work on horsemanship? Haha
Old 05-20-2017, 02:59 AM
Survivor

Quote:
I never studied Ninjitsu, but my understanding is that it's physical and mental toughness training, observation skills, concealment, escape, quick strikes (jabs/kicks), falling, agility, tumbling, climbing, stealth stuff, some small weapons like sticks and knives, improvised weapons, etc. Obviously avoid the throwing stars and smoke bombs lol.

Anyway, it's something to look into. Probably not the top on the list, but still offers some useful skills.
The Following User Says Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2017, 03:02 AM

Quote:
I never studied Ninjitsu, but my understanding is that it's physical and mental toughness training, observation skills, concealment, escape, quick strikes (jabs/kicks), falling, agility, tumbling, climbing, stealth stuff, some small weapons like sticks and knives, improvised weapons, etc. Obviously avoid the throwing stars and smoke bombs lol.

Anyway, it's something to look into. Probably not the top on the list, but still offers some useful skills.
Yeah, your basic "ninja keeyaaaw" stuff. Sword techniques, horsemanship, throwing weapons.

Check it out on google. No one in a street fight should be re enacting Mortal Combat haha
Old 05-20-2017, 03:03 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Ninjitsu was mostly espionage and outdated stuff. Do you really need to work on horsemanship? Haha
wellllll if SHTF ever does happen you just may need to learn how to find and train horses
Old 05-20-2017, 03:04 AM

Fair enough. Nothing wrong with horses
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	208905  
Old 05-20-2017, 03:06 AM
Survivor

Well obviously you'd take what's useful and dispose of the rest, like meterology lol.... Let's set aside ones' Hollywood interpretation of a guys in black pajamas. Ninjas were known to be exceptionally strong, tough, and agile and able to kill very quickly with small weapons or bare hands, and had incredible observation and escape abilities.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Ninjas were known to be exceptionally strong, tough, and agile and able to kill very quickly with small weapons or bare hands, and had incredible observation and escape abilities.
True, but it's worth noting Ninjutsu isn't even a martial art.

As a side note, these threads about "best fighting style" are usually pretty entertaining. They almost always spin out of control into ninja talk haha.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wilderness medic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2017, 03:15 AM
Survivor

Just to be crystal clear, I listed about 5 forms, and Ninjitsu was a suggestion to supplement... and there are clearly good things to learn from it. I digress.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:15 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Well obviously you'd take what's useful and dispose of the rest, like meterology lol.... Let's set aside ones' Hollywood interpretation of a guys in black pajamas. Ninjas were known to be exceptionally strong, tough, and agile and able to kill very quickly with small weapons or bare hands, and had incredible observation and escape abilities.
i didnt get my info from hollywood lol i wont believe anything from hollywood i have tested myself or seen some one else do in real life. I got my info from a friend who does the katana competitions and has a Samurai background he is prolly bias though since the ninja and Samurai where bitter enemies in history. since history paints the ninja's as cowardly assassins and the Samurai as honorable patriotic warriors.

Either way almost every fighting method will have useful bits you can blend into what you already know. Silent and stealthy skills would be very useful when trying to avoid other hostiles in a SHTF scenario also for scouting out other groups camps and discover their scouts patterns.

Quote:
True, but it's worth noting Ninjutsu isn't even a martial art.

As a side note, these threads about "best fighting style" are usually pretty entertaining. They almost always spin out of control into ninja talk haha.
because the movies make ninja's seem like the best thing since cavemen discovered fire.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:49 AM
Prepared

We trained soldiers in basic self defence and generally advised them to take up full contact fighting styles if they wanted to get more useful after that. Aka boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, BJJ, MMA, mauy thai and others that emphasise full contact sparring and extreme fitness. Any one of these will fulfil the basic requirement of wiping out the average guy very quickly in unarmed combat.

99% of the traditional dojo styles( karate, kungfu, TKD etc) and other such mystical arts are generally not taught in a useful fashion and anyone in the security, prison, LEO industry will have stories about blackbelts getting their heads knocked in by regular joes. If you are athletic enough, or use the style enough in real fighting scenarios you can make it work better but 99% of dojo martial artists do not fall into either category.

The military/combat styles are 50/50. Generally these are short courses, a range of many courses a soldier has to absorb with limited time and not designed to turn him into a lethal fighting machine. Anymore than a soldier is expected to be a world class trauma surgeon at the end of his infantry medic course. The main failings for citizens to learn them are short duration, no emphasis on fitness, limited defence to attacks from actual fighters, limited full contact sparring, limited full contact pyramidal competition.

Again, all the reasons the hard styles( kickboxing, MMA etc) clean up 99% of everyone else on the street.

You probably already knew this but were hoping for some short cut to bieng able to fight, maybe a 3 week course or cosy TKD dojo full of ladies with nice social atmosphere? Sorry, there are no shortcuts. You know what works, its the styles you are most afraid of
The Following User Says Thank You to sixtus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2017, 11:29 AM
Country Boy

I have trained in multiple disciplines for over 30 years. Unfortunately, "most" schools these days focus on the sport aspect, including MMA. While it is still useful to train in any form of martial art, sport fighting can get you hurt or killed on the street against an experienced fighter. Look for schools that focus on real world self defense, like Krav Maga, Military combative, etc. If you can't find that, seek out a good Judo or BJJ school. As others have said, most fights end up on the ground anyway, so knowing what to do when you get there will pay dividends. Striking arts have their place too, but learn to roll if you are really serious about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ole Grunt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2017, 12:10 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 144,361 Times in 42,549 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

There's a forum here on the site, down in the weapons section, titled non lethal weapons and self defense, where they discuss the pros and cons of all sorts of hand to hand combat styles. You'll find a lot more info there than here.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post: