Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Hunting and Trapping General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 08-30-2009, 10:16 AM
Trapper

Thanked 3,113 Times in 444 Posts
Default Anybody make their own hunting gear?

Advertise Here

My wife purchased a sewing machine last week and yesterday I bought some camo material. I am going to start with a warming poncho because even an idiot like me can hardly screw that up. Anyway, I am tired of paying top dollar for hunting apparel so i am thinking of making my own britches. I have never found pants with the pockets quite right and thought it may be best to make my own. Anybody else out there every try this?
Old 08-30-2009, 02:32 PM
2cd mouse gets the cheese

I have sewn some stuff called boars hide to the knee, shin, and butt on my BDUs. I also put ykk zippers on all the pockets. I also made a pack using conduit and a bender, I always wanted a frame pack but to only stick out half the distance, bringing the closer to your body. My last project was taking a m60 field jacket apart and making a double layered wool one from the patterns, I love it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rat Eater For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2009, 03:05 PM
Semper Fi

It's not really for hunting. But I do use it for fishing here in the city. I took my denim jacket and add a big pouch pocket across the back (all these are hidden on the inside). I also added 2 pockets over the kidney area deep enough to hold a quart water bottle each. Plus a few more pockets here and there. They all close with velcro. I'm not done yet. I need to add a couple of sleeve pockets. Yeah I have a pocket fetish but I haven't found a Dr. yet that is willing to see me. LMAO
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to catfish For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2009, 05:05 PM
Recent Blog:
[CaRP] Failed to open file: Goodbye
Anticipating His Kingdom

I have a homemade item that is one of the most useful pieces of eqpt I have: My walking stick. It has a notch near the end that allows me to reach high and pull down branches, ropes etc. Also, my frog gig/fishspear fits on the end. I have been frog-gigging at night and wound up gigging big catfish swimming near the shore. A long stick clears out the spider webs in the woods before you walk into them. And of course, a walking stick is worth its weight in gold when you're fording a stream or river with a heavy pack on your back.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SilverSax For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2009, 05:36 PM
2cd mouse gets the cheese

Quote:
It's not really for hunting. But I do use it for fishing here in the city. I took my denim jacket and add a big pouch pocket across the back (all these are hidden on the inside). I also added 2 pockets over the kidney area deep enough to hold a quart water bottle each. Plus a few more pockets here and there. They all close with velcro. I'm not done yet. I need to add a couple of sleeve pockets. Yeah I have a pocket fetish but I haven't found a Dr. yet that is willing to see me. LMAO
i like the demin jacket idea, better camo for city ops, Great Job!
The Following User Says Thank You to Rat Eater For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2009, 05:41 PM
Grouchy Infidel

Thanked 3,175 Times in 888 Posts

I make my own arrows, cedar, port orford. Burn my own fletches, usually from last years turkey. Made my quivers out of my deer hide for a number of years until I switch over to a bow quiver for my longbow.

I did make a Lakota quiver out of an old swiss wool blanket, works pretty good but it picks up everything while in the bush.

I've made 4 pairs of moccasins over the years, a pair for each of my little ones from the deer I take each year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SmokinOnion For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Target Shooter

I've been considering to make some stuff. Like a bivvy bag, survival stick and stuff like that. Got all the tools and heaps of junk lying around everywhere, I just want to find some canvas and a good insulator but haven't had the disposable income recently.

Cheers,
Sean.

P.S. It'd be nice if wyolostandfound could maybe P.M. me with some info on how he made his bivy bags? Thanks.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:40 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Eater View Post
i like the demin jacket idea, better camo for city ops, Great Job!
Thank you. Yeppers, that's what I figure. Denim is "normal". Leather is ok, but you have to be careful of the colors and what kind of cut it is. Clothes are camo. It's all a matter of the perception of the people. Denim lets you blend in pretty well. I prefer to remain anonymous. I'll save the digi-cam for the woods.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:28 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,406 Times in 1,034 Posts

Fabricating new survival gear out of old **** around the house is fun & saves tons of cash.

I built an arrow quiver out of rolled up cardboard & a cup, then wrapped it in camo duct tape & added a carbiner to hang it on my belt. Stuffed an old rag in the bottom to keep the arrows quiet. =] Works great!

Ive camoflouged everything I own with Krylon flat spraypaint & a handfull of leaves from the backyard for my stencils. =] Looks great! No need in buying new camo gear when you can camo your old gear.

We've been buying used BDUs at Goodwill & Salvation Army for along time. We have a closet full of different patterns & sizes. We've been using them for the base of Guille suits. Just add nylon netting & jute & burlap fibers & youve got yourself a $150-$300 value. =]

Go through your basements & attics & use your imagination. Get creative & build yourself some custom gear. Have fun folks!
Old 09-17-2009, 11:19 AM
Spirit of the Wolf

I made a ghille poncho out of fishnet and camo burlap, last year. It worked well during bear and deer seasons. EXTREMELY warm - going to try it again this winter.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:24 PM
Southern Man

Make as much of your own stuff as you possibly can. Saves money and it's fun. Here's my latest - Wind direction indicator powder for deer hunting(scent free). Go to your medicine cabinet and pull out your old nasal spray bottle. Empty, rinse and let dry. Drill a larger hole in the nozzle - 1/8". Fill with fine corn starch from your wife's kitchen cabinet. Done - and it works great. Save you $4-$5 at Walmart.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uwharrie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2009, 10:35 PM
Southern Man

I made my own shooting bags. Bought camo material (99 cents), sewed it into a square shape, filled it with 2 small bags of round pebbles from the dollar store($1 each). Then sewed it shut. Beats buying shooting bags at the store for $20. See before and after photos.
Attached Thumbnails
P1010019.jpg   P1010023.jpg   P1010022.jpg  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uwharrie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2009, 06:41 PM
Grey Man

My wife and my mother both sew,they've made neck warmers out of orange camo,camo jackets and pants,it was all made from polar fleece.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:52 PM

Default Homemade hunting gear

In my country we hunt Rabbits with Ferrets so I make my own nets to place over the rabbit holes to catch them when the ferret bolts them.I would urge everyone to learn this simple and useful skill because nets mean food.I also catch rabbits at night with a longnet this is set between feeding rabbits and their burrows under the cover of darkness they are then driven into the net and caught. These nets take alot of making as they are up to 100yrds long but when you get used to making net you can sit in front of the tv and knit away no problem. Hope this is of interest atb Norse.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Just South of Sane!

Thanked 8,857 Times in 3,451 Posts

I buy blue jeans every year, in the spring I cut the legs off for shorts. (I know, I know)...
LMAO, Then I sew the bottom throw a way parts shut and dye them black. If you sew them so that the seam is in the middle and cut down along it, the size of your belt... they make great drop pouches.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:17 PM
Semper non compos mentis

Thanked 1,402 Times in 698 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethallyFit View Post
I made a ghille poncho out of fishnet and camo burlap, last year. It worked well during bear and deer seasons. EXTREMELY warm - going to try it again this winter.
Good thread thanks OP.

FYI, there are a couple of how-to docs in the Downloads Section for making Ghillie suits.

How to Make a Ghillie Suit

Ghillie Suit Construction

Original Links - just in case
http://www.survivalistboards.com/dow...do=file&id=796
http://www.survivalistboards.com/dow...o=file&id=1167