Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 08-25-2009, 07:39 PM

Default Survival School in the PA, NJ, NY area?

Advertise Here

Hi I'm looking for a wilderness survival school/class as close to PA or NJ as possible. I know that the Tracker School in NJ is supposed to be one of the best, but their September class is restricted. Anyone know of any other nearby schools? I am willing to travel within 3 hours but the closer the better.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:03 PM

Default this is long, sorry!

I went to the Brown school and was very dissapointed, it was a real joke, unless laying on the lawna nd becoming one with the bugs and writing down all you see in a 1 foot by 1 foot patch of earth is survival...and it wasnt for me.

I started dating a guy who is a Ranger, he saw that I was serious about survival and offered to buy me a 3 week course with the man that helped get them ready for Afghanistan, their motto at the school is Dont Survive, thrive!
and they teach there is no such thing as needing to be rescued from your living room, that is they teach you to make the world your own living room , you exist, you thrive you live, not simply survive.

they teach that survival is a temporary mindset

the 10th mountain division when it was first sent to Afghanistan had members that were Ranger qualified, some of these Rangers OUT OF THEIR OWN POCKETS went to this man and had him and his men teach them the fine points of mountain combat and survival.

Think about that for a minute...the US RANGER qualified soldiers of the 10th mountain division to get ready for war hired out on their own this man and his men to ensure they would come home alive.

at that time they were only teaching classes on their 16,000 acre base in the far north of NY state, I went there even though it is now sold and some developed as luxury homes and the rest as state wilderness lands, but I was blown away at my boyfriend's offer to pay for me to go be taught by these men.

The owner/operator is a professional soldier, retired from soldiering and guided hunters and families fishing, but twice a year will take 1 person or at most a couple and teach them how to live life well, anywhere, anytime, under any circumstance.

because my boyfriend was a a former 'student' I was given a choice of three areas to learn in; southwestern desert of USA (where they train two classes a year for Middle east conflicts) , far northern mountains in winter, ( I didnt want to be THAT cold), or fall class in New England.

I took Fall Class in New England.

first week was mindset and mental understanding of what is survival and what is living, included was Close Quarters Combat, knife, open hand and handgun, 750 rounds a day! and I got a one of a kind knife made for my hands.

I added a 3 day Shooting Class, taught by THE Man, as we call him, and his staff; 1 US Marine Sniper, 2 tours in VietNam, 1 US Olympic Shooter, competed in TWO US OLYMPICS in the 80s and 90s, and a US ARMY Sniper, retired in 2006, two SWAT team members in Law Enforcement ( i wont say which agency they still are active duty officers), and two very bad ass professional soldiers, one who is still working in Iraq. Also on staff are three professional trappers and hunters, houndsmen, and one hippie chick who makes herbal medicines...that part was a waste for me as I am not eating gerbil food unless I am literally dying.

this also got me a CCW that is honored in 27 states, they have a VERY COOL no ink fingerprinter that you simply touch the glass and poof! the FBI has your prints and backgorund check is done...very high tech

Second week was " here ya go, get out" which was a week of living off the land with what I had in my pockets, it snowed 6" that week and I was Soooooo Scared! but by third week I knew I could handle ANYTHING and I mean ANYTHING..this is the low tech part, muzzleloader, crossbow, slingshot, trapping, snares, fishing, made right there in the woods single shot 'rifle' and 'handgun'...cooking, field navigation with and without map and with and without compass, water prep, and everything I needed to know to live not simply SURVIVE I learned that week hands on. I can make a fire now with a nail clipper and my hairbrush in about the time it takes most men to strike a match!

third week was "gear up and go home" where for a week I was almost all on my own, never knew when or IF anyone was going to come by and get me, stop for supper, lunch or a cup of tea.....THAT was the week that I KNEW I can take anything and come out on top.

also learned handloading, making 22s work well in shotguns, and other 'scrounger skills' I can't list here.

All hands on.

They only do this a couple times a year and the waiting list is long unless a graduate vouches and recommends you, but they do offer each section as a separate cycle for those who only want to learn or hone one set of skills, like the shooting or the living wild part, or the CCW part, or whatever.

I did my main part in Southern Vermont, they move around alot so part we were in what I call upstate NY, they call southern NY, and part we were in western MA, they have land all over and we were on public lands a good bit too.

You'll see what a great boyfriend I have when you see the cost!

$3,500 a section, I did 5 sections with the CCW ( $1,000 includes paperwork, filing, instruction by certified instructor, and LOTS of range time, bring 500 rounds minimum and they suggest 750 to 1,000 total PER WEEK--some of these guys shoot that a day, every day, but full auto M16, MP5 and stuff tear up ammo! )

I walked away knowing I can not only survive but thrive! and I got a bunch of very cool stuff that goes with me everywhere, so I am ready no matter if I am in a subway, an elevator, a shopping mall, on a ski slope, in a plane crash, or the crap hits the fan 3AM on a Sunday Morning.

They do NOT teach crap, it is basically you take the Rangers, Marines, Professional Soldiers for Hire, the Mountain Men and combat firearms peel off all the bullcrap and the core of each that is left is what they teach you.

I learned the most about myself and 'thriving not surviving' or as I call it 'in the Wilds Section', but I learned the most about shooting( from 3 feet to 600 yrds) in the Shooting Course and the Close Quarters Combat sections.

If you are serious about thriving not just surviving I can send you The Man's phone number, he doesn't do email.

Joan
Old 08-27-2009, 03:56 PM

wow that does sound intense! the company sponsoring me wasn't looking for a course that long or expensive, only a few days and the basic survival skills. i'm going to keep looking. thanks!
Old 09-24-2010, 09:39 AM

i realize this post is a 13 month old ghost but if you are still active on this forum, could i get the number for that program please? thanks, rick
Old 09-24-2010, 09:49 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,188 Times in 4,116 Posts

Quote:
Survival School in the PA, NJ, NY area?
Fort Dix?

Donate to help this forum.
www.survivalistboards.com/payments.php

New Solar Powered Backup Generator Provides Instant Electrical Power In Any Outage Or Disaster.
http://images.ultracart.com/aff/E1DE...800/index.html
Old 09-24-2010, 10:49 AM
VIP Member

I have taken classes at the two schools listed above. I cannot say enough positive things about both of them.

www.weteachu.com
www.practicalprimitive.com

Feel free to PM me with questions.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:40 PM
Respect Few...Fear None

www.mountainshepherd.com

In Virginia.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:06 PM
Survival Actual

Thanked 10,075 Times in 2,487 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Clever bit of spam this thread is...
The Following User Says Thank You to Dougzilla For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2010, 01:18 PM

Me too. If you still have "The Man's" phone number it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:17 PM

Default hi

i need the mans #
Old 10-18-2010, 09:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,224 Times in 1,957 Posts

I got a good friend who teaches a winter survival class every year in upstate NY, I would have to ask him what he would charge. Its a weekend class, he teaches mostly local Fire Dept rescue teams.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:18 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougzilla View Post
I was thinking the same thing..
Old 09-22-2011, 12:36 PM

Check out Mountain Scout Survival School. www.mtnscoutsurvival.com. Operates out of Beacon, NY and teaches classes all over the Hudson Valley and in Central Park.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:39 PM
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW

Thanked 1,937 Times in 894 Posts

www.atgworldwide.us Woodland Survival Class, Oct 7, 8 and 9. Join me. Taught by a Navy SEAL Scout/Sniper, 16 years on the Teams.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:19 PM

I am interested in "the Man"s" number! Please send info
Old 05-26-2012, 03:16 PM

Default The Man

I would love to know the number of THE MAN lol
Old 08-20-2012, 11:20 PM

Please forward that number should the class still be available.
Has anyone gotten found any information on this course or ones similar to it?

Best,
TS
Old 08-21-2012, 06:21 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,156 Times in 1,625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougzilla View Post
Resurrected!

Old 03-02-2013, 07:40 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,156 Times in 1,625 Posts