Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Food and water
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 08-15-2009, 06:18 PM
Non semper erit aestas.

Thanked 5,267 Times in 2,174 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1
Default Pressure canner ran out of water

Advertise Here

I think this was the problem - the canner is depressurising now, so I'll have to look later. I did put in about 8 cups of water - the instructions don't say how much to put in except for the practice run- how much does one put in?

It ran out of steam around 15 minutes before finish time. So it had 1 hr 15 minutes and not 1hr and 30 minutes. I plan on putting them in the fridge. If it weren't too late already I would take them out, and start all over again.

Comments and advice welcome! I've got 4 liters of ground beef and 1 liter of braising steak that are going to be sitting in my fridge now, sadly. Not sure what I am going to do with them this week....
Old 08-15-2009, 06:50 PM
Non semper erit aestas.

Awards Showcase

I dunno, dilli - I'll have to wait to be able to open it up.
I don't think steam was coming out anywhere it shouldn't have been - I'm wondering even if something went wrong with my stove... but anyway I do wonder if I should have had more water in it in the first place.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:42 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,192 Times in 549 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

I can't remember what the instructions said because it's been too long, but our canners have a permanent water mark that we go by and it's just under 3 inches. Almost always, the water level comes up to the lids of the first layer of jars, but not over them. We've lost as much as an inch of water after a day of canning, but we don't ever add any more. Hope it works out for you.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:17 PM
Tough Chick

Thanked 3,327 Times in 1,369 Posts

8 cups is what I always use and I've never even come close to running out of water.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:53 AM
Mom of 2 Soldiers

Roses, I just canned my 5 hp's (for experimental sake) I used 8 cups of water and i din't loose any water that I can tell...let us know what you find out....
Old 08-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Recent Blog:
Prepared

The instruction manual that came with mine (23 qt) said to use 2 quarts.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:46 PM

I've had that happen. After asking experienced canning friends and the local extension office, the conclusion was my heat was too high.

As for how much water to put in, my canner has a permanent fill line. The instructions for the canner also tell how much water that is (3 quarts for a 16 qt canner).

That said, the amount of water required would depend on how large the canner is. It's important to follow the directions that came with your canner regarding the amount of water needed for canning. (I noticed you said your instructions didn't say how much water to add. Maybe this can help: http://farmgal.tripod.com/PressureCannerVegetables.html)

Last edited by craftymama; 08-16-2009 at 09:53 PM..
Old 08-17-2009, 12:43 AM
Hiker

Bingo on the too much heat. I did exactly the same thing last weekend. Once you have a steady flow of steam from the vent pipe, you want to reduce your heat to just enough to maintain the flow. Then put on your weight, and keep the heat just high enough that it bobs around and isn't flying all over the place like a 6 year old on a sugar high.

Or if it sounds like a deafening roar, it's too hot and venting too much steam, turn it down...

In my case it ran dry and lost pressure and all of my jars boiled out, forcing me to try again with fresh lids. After cleaning the jars and processing at a lower heat, they sealed up perfectly.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:21 AM
Non semper erit aestas.

Awards Showcase

OK, thanks all. I think probably my heat was too high.
I've had the jars in the fridge; I plan on removing lids today, nuking the jars to heat the contents, and reprocessing with new lids.

On a positive note, none of the jars popped their lids this time.... if only I can get everything to work well at the same time now!