Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival > Vehicles & Transportation
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 08-11-2009, 05:09 PM
workin on it

Thanked 1,137 Times in 463 Posts
Default EMP Proof a vehicle

Advertise Here

I know this may sound pointless, but has anyone considered finding/developing a method to EMP proof a vehicle. Not sure how helpful this would be post attack, other than allowing you to move from one location to another, within the range of fuel you have.

Your thoughts on this please.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Unseen

My thoughts, and some others I have heard from about this... If an EMP took out vehicles across the country, you having one that worked would be near useless as the roads would be chocked full of dead cars. Thus not allowing you anywhere to drive without hitting roadblocks of cars/trucks somewhere along your route. I think the Bicycle is the most useful tool in this aspect. You can go right between cars, and EMP will not have any effect on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to InIt2Live For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 3,473 Times in 1,494 Posts

Think about how EMP gets to the electronics of a vehicle.

answer is, any wire leading to the electric part. If you can sheild the wire you might protect the vehicle.

The best protection is a well grounded metal building with the vehicle inside.

Look for equipment with very little electronic ignitions. Tractors, older models, dozers,

Think about what does not have the delicate componets of the auto indursty.

Everyone thinks about pickups, sports cars, jeeps

They never think about cranes, dozers, air port fire rescue equipment. You can take out and wash out the 500 or 1000 gallon fire fighting foam from a truck and have a very powerful (4 wheel drive) vehicle that will go any where. Beef up the bumper and use it to push other cars on the roadway out of your way.

Think out of the box people

to do other wise, you are just playing games to pass the time.

later
wayne
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HaroldWayneHamlin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Texas chooses people.

Thanked 1,569 Times in 765 Posts

Aside from what wayne just said, what about buying replacement parts for the truck post-emp. Keep the parts in a shielded ammo can? I have a 93 ramcharger 4X4, fuel injected 318.
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2009, 06:34 PM
RESET CONGRESS!!

Thanked 12,408 Times in 4,748 Posts

I have the parts necessary to convert one of my older vehicles to a points-type distributer and non electronic carburator. That's about it. I could keep those parts in a shielded container ( coil and condenser could be vulnerable ) and hope for the best. The rest of my vehicles would probably become fuel tanks with wheels. Bicycles.. good to have on hand,.. with spare parts.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:30 PM
Being Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by InIt2Live View Post
My thoughts, and some others I have heard from about this... If an EMP took out vehicles across the country, you having one that worked would be near useless as the roads would be chocked full of dead cars. Thus not allowing you anywhere to drive without hitting roadblocks of cars/trucks somewhere along your route. I think the Bicycle is the most useful tool in this aspect. You can go right between cars, and EMP will not have any effect on it.
This is why you need to drive and older, mechanically injected diesel 4WD. So you will run and be able to drive on shoulders around pile ups of dead cars.

Older Dodge Rams with Bosch P7100 pumps etc, 1981'ish diesel Isuzu troopers, some Diesel Land cruiser$, rare older diesel jeeps etc. Very hard to find, but not hard to convert a gasser to diesel if motivated.

The only thing that might fail is the solid state alternator regulator. A minor problem all things considered.

This is nothing new on the BOV discussions.

Bubba
Old 08-11-2009, 09:41 PM
workin on it

Thanked 1,137 Times in 463 Posts
Default Thanks

Good ideas, some things to think about. IN IT 2 Live, makes a point about abandoned vehicles. Bicycles or motorcycles may be something to consider as well. Or else prepare to bug in as best you can.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:17 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,802 Times in 1,753 Posts

For the non mechanically inclined, I think motorcycles are the best bet for EMP proofing. Without advanced auto mechanics knowledge, you vehicle will likely have a dead or several dead batteries before you figure it out.

As far as bad situations and vehicles go, I think having a way to transfer fuel is more important than a EMP proof vehicle. Also, diesel is better not just because it may be EMP proof, but it can be filled up at most homes by the heating oil tank.

Also, basic diesel engines are not all EMP proof, the alternator will die because the diodes and voltage regulator. Also, diesel engines almost all have a 12v operated fuel cut off switch to shut them off. Some engines use electronics to determine to shut them off. Also, cars equipped with theft deterrence equipment use the solenoid to shut off. Also, the glow plug circuit is usually powered by an electronic timer that corrects glow plug running times based on recent attempts and outside temps.

Simples fixes, but something to consider.

Bang for the buck, if your really concerned about EMP, buy an old car or a modern car that can easily be converted to an old setup, like the early 2000's Chevy 4.3l v6, ford 5.0 in explorers, or the 318 v8 in dodges. I could be wrong, but I think dodge kept on to the old distributor ignition v8's for the longest times. For advanced mechanics, a electronically shifted automatic transmission can be easily driven without the computer. You just need to power the right sequence of shift solenoid to get a particular gear. ATSG manuals and a basic repair harness connector should get you in the right path. Also, modern computer controlled cars also control the voltage regulator on the alternator too.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:13 AM
Being Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinghudson25 View Post
For the non mechanically inclined, I think motorcycles are the best bet for EMP proofing. Without advanced auto mechanics knowledge, you vehicle will likely have a dead or several dead batteries before you figure it out.

As far as bad situations and vehicles go, I think having a way to transfer fuel is more important than a EMP proof vehicle. Also, diesel is better not just because it may be EMP proof, but it can be filled up at most homes by the heating oil tank.

Also, basic diesel engines are not all EMP proof, the alternator will die because the diodes and voltage regulator. Also, diesel engines almost all have a 12v operated fuel cut off switch to shut them off. Some engines use electronics to determine to shut them off. Also, cars equipped with theft deterrence equipment use the solenoid to shut off. Also, the glow plug circuit is usually powered by an electronic timer that corrects glow plug running times based on recent attempts and outside temps.

Simples fixes, but something to consider.

Bang for the buck, if your really concerned about EMP, buy an old car or a modern car that can easily be converted to an old setup, like the early 2000's Chevy 4.3l v6, ford 5.0 in explorers, or the 318 v8 in dodges. I could be wrong, but I think dodge kept on to the old distributor ignition v8's for the longest times. For advanced mechanics, a electronically shifted automatic transmission can be easily driven without the computer. You just need to power the right sequence of shift solenoid to get a particular gear. ATSG manuals and a basic repair harness connector should get you in the right path. Also, modern computer controlled cars also control the voltage regulator on the alternator too.
Ah, someone else who gets it! Thank you!

I'm a big diesel fan as the supply of gasoline with stop in a day or 2. Without extensive mods to run alcohol, the gas car is DEAD. And alcohol is tough to deal with due to corrosion. diesels are simple.

You made some good points but all are easy to deal with... like removing the run solenoid valve from the IP. Then you need to kill the engine with the clutch. And the alternator failing, but a diesel needs no electricity and can be push started in warm weather. Heck, a you can build a fire under the thing in cold weather to warm it up, and then push start it, still requiring absolutley no electrictiy!

Don't forget a farm tractor towing a small trailer loaded with family/supplies etc. Slow at 20 mph, but VERY effective. Able to off road with ease, good fuel economy, reliable as heck.

Diesels rule.

Bubba
Old 08-12-2009, 11:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,632 Times in 833 Posts

Buy a pre 1960 car or forget motorized transportation alltogether. EMP means EOTWAWKI! If you don't know the skills of your forfathers you'll be dead.

I spend no time planning for a nuke contingency. Radioactive contamination and such, yes, but not for a nuclear weapons exchange.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wright B. Hindya For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2009, 12:00 PM
Unseen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wright B. Hindya View Post
Buy a pre 1960 car or forget motorized transportation alltogether. EMP means EOTWAWKI! If you don't know the skills of your forfathers you'll be dead.

I spend no time planning for a nuke contingency. Radioactive contamination and such, yes, but not for a nuclear weapons exchange.
I would completely agree with you! I think an alternate plan to motorized vehicles is the way to go. As well as thinking about the rest of the bad that would come with a nuke besides it killing your car.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:30 AM
Target Shooter

If I may throw this out here. It is possible to EMP proof a vehicle in ways similar to how armed forces do with sophisticated electronics. The idea stems from a specific type of first strike in which nuclear weapons are detonated in the ionosphere above a nation resulting in little radiation, but catastrophic electronic particle bombardment. As an example, properly placed, 2 nuclear warheads could blanket 90% of the United States back to the steel age.

The counter for this is called the Faraday Cage. Essentially it is any sort of mesh metal box around a sensitive piece of electronic equipment. In modern vehicles, I would imagine that these would need to be built around the vehicle computer, fuse, or any other sort of sophisticated sub component. Now here is the tricky part. There is no real practical way to test if your successfully protected against an EMP attack and as I am no doctor in physics, I can honestly not fully comprehend the formulas or concepts to produce a theory. I do know that a microwave oven is essentially a Faraday Cage. Perhaps encircling the master computer with a small microwave would do the trick?
Old 08-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,345 Times in 521 Posts

Cheapest and most efficient way to do this would be to make your entire garage a faraday cage ... just be sure to keep at least one vehicle in there at all times!
Old 08-30-2009, 01:47 AM
tinfoil bandana

Realistically, if there is sufficient EMP to kill your car, you may already be dead.

A nuclear exchange isn't likely going to be aimed at disabling each other's transportation.

If the EMP is employed by the domestic government, then it's a safe bet than any running vehicle is going to be a target. Remember, the best survival tactic is to blend in, and the only moving car on the road hardly blends in, does it?
Old 08-30-2009, 06:23 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,826 Times in 988 Posts

What models/years of military vehicles are EMP proofed?
Old 08-30-2009, 10:44 AM
tinfoil bandana

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANSTAF1 View Post
What models/years of military vehicles are EMP proofed?
That's classified sir, now if you will kindly wait in that room over there.....
The Following User Says Thank You to mongo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberland View Post
I know this may sound pointless, but has anyone considered finding/developing a method to EMP proof a vehicle. Not sure how helpful this would be post attack, other than allowing you to move from one location to another, within the range of fuel you have.

Your thoughts on this please.
read the report It shows that an EMP attack would cause significant but not
catastrophic disruptions in our critical national
infrastructure, and only scattered failures of cars,
computers, and other electronic devices most vehicles that have been tested had some component failures but are still driveable.

http://www.empcommission.org/docs/A2473-
EMP_Commission-7MB.pdf
Old 09-03-2009, 04:29 PM

I have always wondered about this. A few days ago when I first found this site I read an article about EMP and I think it was at one of the links attached to this site. Anyway it stated that a vehicle is like a faraday cage it is not truly grounded it is insulated from the ground. The writer seemed to think that most vehicles would be functional after a blast. I am going to see if I can find that article cuz I do not remember all of the facts. Hopefully I will find my way back, I am not a computer wiz. Anybobdy else remember the article?
Old 09-03-2009, 04:37 PM

Jackpot, go to the store link and then when you get there click on survivalEbooks.com and when you get there look at the column on the right called "my articles" I think it is called "protect yourself from EMP" it is the one you want to read.