Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 08-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Bleach blonde on fire :p

Thanked 9,449 Times in 3,793 Posts
Default Anyone raise pot bellied pigs for meat?

Advertise Here

I was cruising through Craigslist today and ran upon a ad for a pot bellied pig free to good home and pregnant. I went to pick her up and the family said that they had breed her last year and raised and ate the young. I did some research and found that there are a few farms out there that raise pot bellied pigs for meat, they raise them for smaller portions (80lb pig = 40-50lbs meat verses raising a big pig to 600+ and having to store that much extra meat).

I had never thought about that but it does make better scense to only butcher when you need it instead of 1 time and then haveing to put up that much meat.

Pig is pig no matter the size, according to the family it tasted just like any other pork just less fat (eats smaller portions of better foods).

Here is a pot belly pig breeder that breeds for meat

http://www.windridgefarm.us/potbellypigs.htm

So what do you think?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rncmomx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2009, 09:52 PM
This is a great survival forum

Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand. Hot, dry in summer (clay), floody & wet in winter.
Thanked 3,586 Times in 1,796 Posts

They look a lot like kune-kune pigs, which have more flavour, are smaller than the porker breeds and people buy them for meat but tend to keep them for pets....
Old 08-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Really?

Thanked 10,171 Times in 4,915 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Oh yes, we have several little Vietnamese pot bellies. They're perfect for a small place. We put the youngsters in the freezer.

Last edited by letsgetreal; 08-09-2009 at 10:03 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to letsgetreal For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2009, 09:58 PM

Thanks, so far positive-I wasn't sure what others would think (my parents were horrified at the idea-but have no problem eating big pigs).
The Following User Says Thank You to rncmomx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,005 Times in 2,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rncmomx2 View Post
Thanks, so far positive-I wasn't sure what others would think (my parents were horrified at the idea-but have no problem eating big pigs).

LOL -- we have friends that won't eat their chickens that are so old they don't lay anymore because they are "pets" but will go to KFC and buy a barrel of chicken ... go figure ...

I was toying with getting a dwarf goat for milk and possibly meat, but a pot-bellied pig might be better. I sure like my bacon and ham ...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgeBunny View Post
LOL -- we have friends that won't eat their chickens that are so old they don't lay anymore because they are "pets" but will go to KFC and buy a barrel of chicken ... go figure ...

I was toying with getting a dwarf goat for milk and possibly meat, but a pot-bellied pig might be better. I sure like my bacon and ham ...
We have dairy goats that we use for milk and when we breed them we eat the boys and sell/keep the girls.

I really like the idea of the smaller pigs rather than the big pigs, they are more friendly and not so much of a worry of them eating me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rncmomx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Really?

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:

Get 'em both! Ni' Dwarfs are the best for milk and meat.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to letsgetreal For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 99,741 Times in 32,475 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
I was cruising through Craigslist today and ran upon a ad for a pot bellied pig free to good home and pregnant. I went to pick her up and the family said that they had breed her last year and raised and ate the young. I did some research and found that there are a few farms out there that raise pot bellied pigs for meat, they raise them for smaller portions (80lb pig = 40-50lbs meat verses raising a big pig to 600+ and having to store that much extra meat).

I had never thought about that but it does make better scense to only butcher when you need it instead of 1 time and then haveing to put up that much meat.

Pig is pig no matter the size, according to the family it tasted just like any other pork just less fat (eats smaller portions of better foods).

Here is a pot belly pig breeder that breeds for meat

http://www.windridgefarm.us/potbellypigs.htm

So what do you think?
I think it's ingenious. I had never thought of that, but it makes a heckuva lot of sense. I may have to look to see if I can find local breeders. I was going to add goats next year anyway. Might as well add pigs too. Great way to recycle scraps.

Years ago I had a girlfriend who had a pot bellied pig. I used to call him Senior Chorizo. She hated that and he seemed to understand me and get offended. It was hilarious.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2009, 11:08 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetreal View Post
Get 'em both! Ni' Dwarfs are the best for milk and meat.
No can do -- Apparently I am pressing my luck with city ordinances by wanting to have chickens ...

But there are enough people in my neighborhood with chickens now that I think the code enforcement guy figures that as long as the rest of the neighbors don't complain (and as long as they are getting eggs they won't ) he is just gonna let us all be ...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
No can do -- Apparently I am pressing my luck with city ordinances by wanting to have chickens ...

But there are enough people in my neighborhood with chickens now that I think the code enforcement guy figures that as long as the rest of the neighbors don't complain (and as long as they are getting eggs they won't ) he is just gonna let us all be ...
Sorry no Goatsies or piggies for you !
Old 08-09-2009, 11:25 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Sorry no Goatsies or piggies for you !
I thought about that ... I think I worked for lawyers for too many years ... My plan is to get a dwarf goat and keep her in the back yard. My GSDs are bigger than some of the goats I have seen, so if I wind up in front of the judge I will just throw myself on the mercy of the court (with the appropriate affidavits from neighbors, of course, that state that my goat is a noble addition to the neighborhood! ). If they say she has to go, well then I guess we will take her out to a friends farm and they can have her.

What do you think?? A little civil disobedience here and there never hurt anyone, huh??

BTW, I am gonna have a harder row to hoe convincing the hubby to let me have one than I think I would with any judge ... LOL
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2009, 11:27 PM
Grand Poobah of Sarcasm

Thanked 4,846 Times in 1,545 Posts

Once they get older they have a LOT of fat on them. You have to carve through it to find the meat.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crankyfarmer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2009, 11:32 PM
Really?

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:

Could ya keep 'em somewhere else? We had 200 rabbits, 4 chickens, 2 ducks and turkey in the city limits. Just all females. Muskovy ducks don't quack.
The Following User Says Thank You to letsgetreal For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2009, 11:40 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetreal View Post
Could ya keep 'em somewhere else? We had 200 rabbits, 4 chickens, 2 ducks and turkey in the city limits. Just all females. Muskovy ducks don't quack.
Nope. Not yet -- working on that as we speak though. I can't push the laws as hard as I would like to because I don't want to get my DH called up to the LT's office ... then I would really be in trouble ...

We have a couple of neighbors who have more dogs than are allowed by city zoning laws, but no one fusses because they keep things clean and tidy and don't let the little guys bark all the time.
The Following User Says Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankyfarmer View Post
Once they get older they have a LOT of fat on them. You have to carve through it to find the meat.
The girl I got today is meaty (140lbs) but not fat, she is around 2 ( we plan on keeping one of her piglets to raise to breed and selling her (no not eating her-too tough) when the piglet gets old enough to breed).

From what I have found so far I would butcher around 7-9 months, the pigs that seem to have a lot of fat are usally older (around a year).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rncmomx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Nope. Not yet -- working on that as we speak though. I can't push the laws as hard as I would like to because I don't want to get my DH called up to the LT's office ... then I would really be in trouble ...

We have a couple of neighbors who have more dogs than are allowed by city zoning laws, but no one fusses because they keep things clean and tidy and don't let the little guys bark all the time.

Hide um till they say they gotta go!
The Following User Says Thank You to rncmomx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2009, 11:25 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,631 Times in 760 Posts

Well Badgebunny I am having the same problem I heard nowhere in OK county you can have chickens. But I really want to get some and possibly rabbits.
The Following User Says Thank You to shawn For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2009, 11:16 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
Well Badgebunny I am having the same problem I heard nowhere in OK county you can have chickens. But I really want to get some and possibly rabbits.
I am in OK County ... and I have at least two neighbors with chickens. The code enforcement officer comes thru here quite often (some houses on the block over are in foreclosure and no one is keeping up the yards) and doesn't seem to be bothered at all by the chickens, but you better not let your grass get too tall or have a derelict vehicle in your drive. One of these neighbors has a pen that is readily visible from the street. The other you wouldn't know if you didn't already know. Their coop looks like a regular shed from the street and the outside pen is shorter than the stockade fence so you can't see it at all from the street.

Rabbits are a little easier to scoot by I think. You are gonna have to be careful when you butcher though, to keep from having someone call animal control. I would suggest that you take them to a processing center. Will cost you a little more, but would be worth it to avoid potential complications.

I know, I know, I know ... I am not saying it is right, just that that is the way it is in town.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2009, 11:49 PM

Yes processing a huge pig is a chore, but you don't have to do it all that often if you're keeping the meat for yourself. In villages in eastern europe, people would usually have 1-3 pigs/hogs, and they'd slaughter them every now and then for the meat. Everyone in the family would help, multiple rooms would be used, and you'd end up with alot of meat--most of which was made into sausage, smoked, or cured.
The Following User Says Thank You to zatoichi37 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2009, 11:53 PM
The Power of III

Thanked 1,501 Times in 653 Posts

We have a little pot bellied piglet in our backyard (right now we're only on 1/4 acre in a subdivision) - we're using her to help till up new places in our yard for our garden, as our tiller went out and we aren't budgeting for a new one right now. You'd be amazed how quickly they can turn a 16 x 8 piece of space into a grass-free, tilled area almost ready for planting!

We just moved her to her next 16 x 8 section and she's working away. She's about 16 weeks old or so - loves to eat and dig - we plan on breeding her (had a male too, but he was sickly and died within 2 weeks of getting him) and putting the piglets in the freezer as well.

But for cheap tilling, I'm certainly convinced. Especially when it rains a little bit and softens up the ground, she really goes to town then!

We put up 4 sections of hog panel using 4 foot metal posts and put up a shade cover over 1/2 of it. We have an old, wheeled garbage can (flat on 2 sides) that is pretty deep that we put on its side in one corner and made a bed in it for her with shavings and hay - she uses this as shelter from the heat or rain. We put in a shallow dishpan that we fill every day for her to have as a cooling pool and a feed bowl for table scraps. We also scatter a little of the pig pellet feed in the grass so she'll dig for it when she's rooting around.

Last edited by TNPetite.45; 08-10-2009 at 11:57 PM.. Reason: add info
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TNPetite.45 For This Useful Post: