Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 08-09-2009, 03:32 AM
Local Fett

Thanked 1,036 Times in 505 Posts
Default School me - SEMI AUTO, LEGAL sten gun building?

Advertise Here

Sten gun building is a touchy subject, so i wish to state i would like to learn about building a SEMI AUTO ONLY, LEGAL sten gun.

Now, has anyone ever built a sten, know where to get the parts, and how easy/hard it may be? I don't want to break any laws, i'd just like to have a neat little piece of history.. and plus all mags are preban, haha.

Any info would be appreciated, as i'm looking into the fun of building something.. thanks.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:07 AM
11B20 - Status Inactive

Thanked 4,919 Times in 2,343 Posts

http://www.ima-usa.com/product_info....oducts_id/2010
299/325 they have some other misc parts and accessories as well.

Here are other parts;
http://aa-ok.com/categories/3-sten-gun-parts

And here is a template to make the receiver from your own material;
http://www.antipersonnel.net/links/images/R2002.gif

Mittelmorger, that may be a tough one. I wonder how pre-ban works with old kits? Since they are demilled are they not considered a firearm any more? I imagine it would count as a SBR? Unless you can get that barrel to 16".

Which here are 16" barrel and receivers already formed/cut and cheater rivet sets.'
http://www.indianapolisordnance.com/sten_mk3.html
The good thing about the above link is they have receivers that will not accept FA bolts and they make a semi-auto only bolt.

Last edited by GoodOlFroathyOne; 08-09-2009 at 08:16 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodOlFroathyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Local Fett

Seems a bit difficult, considering i have to weld and i've never ever done that before.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Firearm Enthusiast

Building semi-auto STENs is a popular pastime for many gun enthusiasts.

I'd recommend checking these guys out: http://www.prexis.com/sten/homebuilder/index.php

They'll give you all the information you need.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,467 Times in 1,548 Posts

Anybody ever do a screw build Sten?
Old 08-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,467 Times in 1,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittelmorder View Post
Seems a bit difficult, considering i have to weld and i've never ever done that before.
Welding shop+bottle of whiskey=..........
The Following User Says Thank You to Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Local Fett

Seems like a interesting build, for sure.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:37 PM
RESET CONGRESS!!

Thanked 12,405 Times in 4,748 Posts

I would love to own a Sten. Quite a piece of history. I remember someone working on a legal, closed bolt, semi-auto version. That was probably 2 years ago. I'll do some searching.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:38 PM
11B20 - Status Inactive

Thanked 4,919 Times in 2,343 Posts

MM - http://www.classicarms.us/

Classic arms has Sterling Sporters for less than 500. It looks an awful lot like a Sten without all the hassle and will probably cost less than trying to build one from a kit.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,138 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOlFroathyOne View Post
MM - http://www.classicarms.us/

Classic arms has Sterling Sporters for less than 500. It looks an awful lot like a Sten without all the hassle and will probably cost less than trying to build one from a kit.
..and its already street legal.
Remember,building a sten,you are going from a system that basically slam fires the cartridge,to a system that has to use a hammer and sear.There was a guy in shotgun news a wjile back that did a tutorial,but it was fairly complicated.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:02 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,548 Times in 1,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittelmorder View Post
Sten gun building is a touchy subject, so i wish to state i would like to learn about building a SEMI AUTO ONLY, LEGAL sten gun.

Now, has anyone ever built a sten, know where to get the parts, and how easy/hard it may be? I don't want to break any laws, i'd just like to have a neat little piece of history.. and plus all mags are preban, haha.

Any info would be appreciated, as i'm looking into the fun of building something.. thanks.
I don't know about building a SA Sten, but http://www.classicarms.us/ has SA Stens in stock for a pretty decent price.

EDIT: They are only selling Sterlings. Sorry for the mix-up.

Last edited by FrightenedWolfe; 08-10-2009 at 12:04 AM.. Reason: Sterlings, not Stens
The Following User Says Thank You to FrightenedWolfe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Trapper

Im in the process of building a Sten MKIII. Im not sure if I posted that on here or not. If your going to build one go with parts from.

http://www.indianapolisordnance.com/sten_mk3.html

They are the cream of the crop from what I hear. They have all the bugs worked out of the kits. There is a place I think its semiautosten.com but they dont have tubes and good luck in getting an email back from them right now.

Prexis has great info and they also sell parts but I dont think they sell tubes right now. I believe they went with the guys at semiautosten.com. The guy is good at what he does but is on a back log.

If you order from Indianapolis Ordance talk to them they will email back and I believe from the email that I had from them I can cut the J cut in the tube if I want to.

They sell all the tubes and semi auto bolt to get you going.

I got my Sten MKIII kit from a friend who said hey Im building one and would like you to have one as well and poof I have a kit lol and it will be a fun project. Watch the welding you can mess the tube up.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:06 AM

Hey guys, I want to know if there is any recommended site to find out how to build a Sten SMG that doesn't fire. I am a huge fan of WWII history as well as elite forces such as the British SAS. Though i am only 16, i know plenty due to curiosity and hunger for knowledge after playing Call of Duty 1. Anyway, I do not think i am able to legally own a gun at my age, and i do not intend to use a fire arm while a teen anyway. I want to at least build a Sten SMG to own one, even if it doesn't fire. Any info is appreciated guys thanks.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:29 AM
Redneck-xican

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWolf309 View Post
Hey guys, I want to know if there is any recommended site to find out how to build a Sten SMG that doesn't fire. I am a huge fan of WWII history as well as elite forces such as the British SAS. Though i am only 16, i know plenty due to curiosity and hunger for knowledge after playing Call of Duty 1. Anyway, I do not think i am able to legally own a gun at my age, and i do not intend to use a fire arm while a teen anyway. I want to at least build a Sten SMG to own one, even if it doesn't fire. Any info is appreciated guys thanks.
This site may be a good start for you:
http://www.wwiiguns.com/store/product_details.php?p=222

Last edited by JR; 01-09-2013 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: Found a better link
Old 01-09-2013, 07:32 AM
His Name is Tyler Danann

Location: Variable. Prison Island, European Sektor plus elsewhere...
Thanked 7,603 Times in 1,958 Posts

Get building a Sterling sub-gun for a real challenge
Old 01-09-2013, 07:46 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,662 Times in 949 Posts

I doubt you can build a sten without some welding.

The mark 2 barrel collar you could probably get away with screws, mark 3 screws/rivets for the barrel not a big deal.

Mag well on a mark 2 isn't secured anyways, but the ejector is welded, no other way. mark 3 only way the mag well will really work is welded, fortunately the ejector is part of that housing. You might be able to use the mark 3 ejector in a mark 2 housing.

Trigger housing only way it will work is some welding. Marine-tex under the collar around the tube, but the front still needs some welds.

That being said it can be done with one of the 110v welders they sell at tractor supply or lowes. And you don't really have to be that good at welding to do it.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:48 AM
Prepared

If you can still find a de-milled parts kit for a reasonable price, you can build a "dummy" gun with some dremelling and welding. I had two kits I picked up for about $40 each a long time ago. Sold one kit and built a dummy with the other. I used a piece of muffler pipe, couple of washers and a bolt with the threaded portion cut off for a dummy barrel and reciever. It looked pretty good and you could actually work the bolt and all. Later I cut that up and bought the Indianapolis Ordnance parts and made a working SA Sten out of it. It is fun to shoot and was actually a fairly easy build. Took some drilling/dremelling for the reciever tube, some welding, and I had to heat treat the striker in the garage, but it was really not that hard to do. Took part of a day to get it roughed in. Really wish I hadn't sold that other kit now.