Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 08-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Sell crazy someplace else

Thanked 1,549 Times in 839 Posts
Default Why are my citrus trees turning yellow.

Advertise Here

I have two citrus trees and they are turning a little yellow. One of them has the leaves curling just a little bit. They are in containers that are about 8 gallons. It is not for lack of water. Any tips?
Old 08-06-2009, 05:27 PM
This is a great survival forum

Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand. Hot, dry in summer (clay), floody & wet in winter.
Thanked 3,586 Times in 1,796 Posts

1. Most likely reason - hungry. Citrus are very hungry;
2. too much water/not enough drainage. Doesn't sound likely.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:58 PM

Do you mean I need fertilizer?
Old 08-06-2009, 06:26 PM
This is a great survival forum

Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand. Hot, dry in summer (clay), floody & wet in winter.
Thanked 3,586 Times in 1,796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy View Post
Do you mean I need fertilizer?
Yes. To be honest, I recommend you get specifically citrus fertiliser for them in pots although I worry that in a pot it'll burn the roots. See what you can get down the local.

:o)
Old 08-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Semper Paratus

I planted a lemon and a lime tree early this year, and if they survive, I think they will be some of the hardiest trees in the area, because i have done everything i can think of to kill them.

The day after i planted them, the bull wandered up to investigate, and promptly broke the lemon tree off about 2 feet above the ground. I thought it was a gonner, but after bending a cattle pannel in a circle around it to keep the cows away, it put on new foilage and started growing again.

Then a while later, I got the feeling that they were not getting enough water(due to the extreme drought), so I watered the heck out of em. The lime tree didnt like being over watered and dropped all its leaves. I got a soil moisture tester so i can better moniter its water needs, and it started growing again.

Some time later, while cleaning house, I found a bucket of ashes from the wood burning stove, and vaguely recalling somewhere that ashes were good for plants, I dumped them around the citrus trees. My wifes uncle is somewhat of a plant expert and told us that changing the ph of the soil that the trees were allready used to might not be such a good idea, so we removed as much of the ash as we could before watering them in.

I think the poor trees will make it, but it certainly isnt from a lack of trying
The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy832 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2009, 11:56 PM
Really?

Thanked 9,811 Times in 4,820 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy View Post
I have two citrus trees and they are turning a little yellow. One of them has the leaves curling just a little bit. They are in containers that are about 8 gallons. It is not for lack of water. Any tips?
Get them outta the containers and into the ground. If the leaves turn brown, Blight got 'em.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:47 PM

Why are they in containers? Are you in an apartment? Citrus needs fertilizing 3 times a year. It's easy to remember the times; Valentines Day, Labor Day, and Memorial Day. If you can get them in the ground they would do better.. And are you sure citrus can grow in your area?
Old 08-10-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy832 View Post
I planted a lemon and a lime tree early this year, and if they survive, I think they will be some of the hardiest trees in the area, because i have done everything i can think of to kill them.

The day after i planted them, the bull wandered up to investigate, and promptly broke the lemon tree off about 2 feet above the ground. I thought it was a gonner, but after bending a cattle pannel in a circle around it to keep the cows away, it put on new foilage and started growing again.

Then a while later, I got the feeling that they were not getting enough water(due to the extreme drought), so I watered the heck out of em. The lime tree didnt like being over watered and dropped all its leaves. I got a soil moisture tester so i can better moniter its water needs, and it started growing again.

Some time later, while cleaning house, I found a bucket of ashes from the wood burning stove, and vaguely recalling somewhere that ashes were good for plants, I dumped them around the citrus trees. My wifes uncle is somewhat of a plant expert and told us that changing the ph of the soil that the trees were allready used to might not be such a good idea, so we removed as much of the ash as we could before watering them in.

I think the poor trees will make it, but it certainly isnt from a lack of trying

I might go ahead and pull that lemon. It might be putting on new growth but it may not grow uniformly the way it should. It would be a shame to put in 5-10 years on watering and fertilizing and have it not be what you wanted. Lemon trees aren't that expensive.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:05 PM

I have these trees at my mom's house. She lives in a complex so there is no place to plant them. I know their size will be limited because of the container. I will pick up citrus food this week.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Really?

Thanked 9,811 Times in 4,820 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

I'm a Florida native, we have citrus trees everywhere, I grew up in citrus....all my mother's family worked at Tropicana( please buy Tropicana products), at one time( my Grandma was the best grapefruit sectioner in the Country, at one time). We also have a cactus..... we water the cactus when it rains in Arizona. IMO, if you have citrus, no matter where you are, water your citrus when it rains in Florida( which is every day, ALOT, from May to Nov.). Citrus hates cold and dies in freezing.

Last edited by letsgetreal; 08-10-2009 at 02:17 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to letsgetreal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2009, 12:51 PM

I bought some citrus food. That seems to be helping. The leaves are turning green again. Thanks for the tip.
The Following User Says Thank You to crazy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2009, 03:22 PM
Target Shooter

"We also have a cactus..... we water the cactus when it rains in Arizona."

LOL, then your poor cactus must be dying. It hasn't rained here in Tucson in months.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:24 PM
Sunshine On My Shoulders

Thanked 3,956 Times in 2,248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetreal View Post
I'm a Florida native, we have citrus trees everywhere, I grew up in citrus....all my mother's family worked at Tropicana( please buy Tropicana products), at one time( my Grandma was the best grapefruit sectioner in the Country, at one time). We also have a cactus..... we water the cactus when it rains in Arizona. IMO, if you have citrus, no matter where you are, water your citrus when it rains in Florida( which is every day, ALOT, from May to Nov.). Citrus hates cold and dies in freezing.
Trees need good drainage though. If they sit in mucky soil the roots rot. Your trees may need Mg I usta spread a coupla pound of epsom salts around the trees once or twice a year. The rain in florida leeches away everything.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:18 AM

the problem is likely to be a lack of nitrogen, I suggest you do an online search for the best type of fertilizer for that specific citrus tree, there's a ton of info available.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:42 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,658 Times in 1,406 Posts

Are you using well water? or treated city water? Due to all the chemicals in city treated water, container plants usually suffer.