Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 08-03-2009, 03:44 PM

Default First time planting winter garden in North Florida

Advertise Here

Hello All!,
Just found this site, and you have some great information here. I was wondering, do you have any links on year round, or fall/winter gardens for North Florida area? What and when it can be planted?

We planted our first "REAL" summer garden and have harvested everything, now want to try our luck at a fall/winter garden. Thanks in advance!

"J"
Old 08-03-2009, 03:48 PM
Really?

Thanked 10,220 Times in 4,915 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

As a native Floridian, I can tell ya most of Florida grow strawberries and citrus (cash crops), but for your garden, grow hardy stuff, but know, that you will have a freeze, so no matter what you grow, you have to protect them from freeze burn. Now, folks here just spray 'em down with water and it freezes and saves strawberrys. Other folks cover their plants to protect from freeze. Check your local co-op store, feed store, or Tractor Supply.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:14 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,383 Times in 679 Posts

I am going to try and plant a winter crop as well. Where I live most of the citrus crop has died due to frost (with the exception of a few protective home gardeners). Anyway, my friends tell me that brocolli and carrots are a good winter crop in north Florida. Also, lettuce will do well, so I have heard. Like you firemanjw this will be my actual first winter crop. I am planting all of the above plus a few tomatos.

Anyway, I would love to try strawberries as that is one of our favorites! Do you know when to try and plant them for a north florida climate?
Old 08-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Prepper's Dog Breeder

In the Panhandle area of Florida, Plants like Turnips, Mustards, Collards are planted even as late as the first frost if you start them inside, or during the "Still warm" months and get them up 6-10 inches. Once you have them started, they will grow all winter with out any problem. If you plant them in the ground now, you will have them established before the first frost, but I would wait another month or so, until it starts to cool off. Generaly about the time I plant a fall deer food plot, which is the first to second week in September.

Last edited by smitty32303; 08-04-2009 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: photo