Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 08-01-2009, 01:16 PM

Default Ka bar Becker BK9 vs Ontario SP10

Advertise Here

Hi folks. Can anyone offer a comparison between these two knives. I cant decide which one to get and they both come pretty highly recommended. Any insights would be appreciated greatly.
Take Care
Craig
Old 08-01-2009, 02:09 PM

I don't own a BK-9 but I am a BK-7 user. It's a decent chopper and I can imagine that the BK-9 is much better. The quality is good and the handle feels good in my handle. It holds an edge very well. I've chopped up a bit of wood with it and made some curls but I'm still waiting for a real opportunity to put it to the test. I can't comment about the Ontario SP-10

Check youtube for videos about it.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,634 Times in 833 Posts

I own an sp10.

Woods freakin proven for me. It's taken everything I've dished out, cutting down trees, stabbing into woods,carving...whatever. The handle is also excellent, but the sheath is only so...so.

The blade must be oiled, it is 1095.

It will get dull, but sharpening it is not hard.

Its hollow grind won't be as sharp as a ful lflat grind, but it still good enough for woods chores.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:00 AM

I also have an SP10, I love the knife, nice and heavy but very maneuverable still. I hate the sheath... if anyone knows of a large enough sheath that would fit I would love to hear about it. I would buy the SP10 again any day.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:16 AM
I LOVED THIS F0RUM!

Thanked 32,935 Times in 12,711 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Get ya a Dead Metal and be done with it: http://www.dantesknife.com/Dead%20Metal.htm

Or find a cool Custom Knife here: http://www.michigancustomknives.com/knifecatalog.cfm

Or you could find a great Bark River knife here: http://www.crystalfallstradingcompan...iverknives.php

Last edited by ActionJackson; 08-02-2009 at 12:22 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Living To Ride

Thanked 1,779 Times in 872 Posts

I have a BK2, BK7 and BK9 so I guess you would call me a Becker fan. Currently KA-BAR is making Becker's knives and I think it is a perfect match. KA BAR having the reputation for making the best 1095 there is out there. The BK9 Becker's Combat Bowie is just that a a monster chopper excellent for clearing and chopping indestructible blade flat ground so it is easy to maintain an excellent edge. You can sharpen 1095 with a rock if need be and its flat grind will make the job easier with better results. It is full tang construction with the handle bolted onto each side of it. The tang extends past the handle providing an excellent hammer to pound stakes or break glass with. The Grivory handle is also indestructible and a seemingly perfect shape for hands of all sizes leaving no hot spots read no blisters after a day of chopping with it. The handle is hollow and can accommodate a minimalist survival kit a snare wire / saw, some fishing line a couple of .45 caliber candlers and a small fire stick. The sheath is an excellent ballistic nylon with kydex liners for both the Combat Bowie and the included free be BK13 for the finer cutting tasks. The sheath has multiple attachment options and is MOLLE compatible. There is a small pocket that will accept a sharpening stone or small survival kit or I use the wrap around elastic strap to hold an Altiods can with my survival kit and carry sandpaper in the pocket. While I carry a BK2 on my belt as my primary survival knife. The BK9 is and excellent chopper, a great camp knife or strapped to your pack. You could spend hundreds more and not have a better knife

Looks like SP10 owners could benefit from a superior BK9 sheath but than once you have that why not carry the superior BK9 in it since you will have it and the free BK13 anyway
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LongRider For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Living To Ride

An Aside just saw that Tomars has the Collectors Edition of the BK77 only 150 being made Micarta Handle and S30V steel for $275.May be a great deal for a collector. All my knives are users and to my way of thinking S30V is pretty hard to sharpen for a field use knife. IMO the harder steels are better suited to daily use knives, than knives you may have to sharpen out in the field. Than again S30V is reputed to have excellent abrasion resistance (resists dulling), so it may be the knife for you. If so heres the heads up only 150 being made
Old 08-03-2009, 09:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,669 Times in 1,734 Posts

BK9, I have the BK7, and believe the BK9 is the size that really shines. The BK7 is too long for fine work. You need a 3" blade with it. Might as well have the extra length and metal of a BK9. I like the grind, steel, removable handles, and the FREE BK13 blasts sparks.

Or if you have the cash, what AJ said. I like the
Make/Model: Dead Metal Primary Instinct
Blade Material: 5160 Carbon Steel .25" Thick, Black Oxide
Length/Style: 8.5" Bowie Style Clip Blade
Handle Material: Cord Wrap (color may vary)
Overall Length: 13.375"
Sheath or Clip: Kydex Sheath
Old 08-04-2009, 02:38 AM
Survivor

Honestly, I don't know about the new bk9's, but I've seen the old ones snap.

I've yet to read about an sp10 failing. Sp5's, yes, but not an sp10.

Both knives will last, but there are other options out there.

The Rtak 2 is a beast, along with the Cold Steel Trailmaster ,but really with the proper care, I think any of the above mentioned would last a long time if not your lifetime.

I belive the Ontario has a lifetime warranty, does the bk9 have one?
Old 08-04-2009, 05:09 PM

In my opion i trust ka bars trust them with my life thats what i would go with.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Living To Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls1 View Post
I belive the Ontario has a lifetime warranty, does the bk9 have one?
I know of two instances where Ethan Becker personally backed up his knife designs. One with a Becker Brute that was by any definition including the owner abused. The guy big as a gorilla hit a steel cattle grate with his Brute at full swing. In that case Ethan looked through his own personal collection to replace the out of production Becker Brute. In the other case Ethan personally took the knife to KA-BAR to assure it got replaced and that the issue was resolved. The handle was not perfectly flush with the tang. KA-BAR has been bringing American Warriors home alive since WWII so my guess would be yes
Old 08-08-2009, 12:47 AM
Survivor

http://www.cutleryscience.com/review...bat_bowie.html

Just saying...
Old 08-08-2009, 05:57 AM
Living To Ride

Quote:
Not a bad review cept it is out dated KA_BAR not Camillus is now making Becker Knives so the "Material and geometry specifics" info is incorrect. The current BK9 is made with different material 1095 high carbon and the geometry has also improved. So it kind of negates the review. Although the BK9 does continue to compare favorably to knives that cost much more
Old 08-08-2009, 08:25 AM
I LOVED THIS F0RUM!

Thanked 32,935 Times in 12,711 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajunman1 View Post
BK9, I have the BK7, and believe the BK9 is the size that really shines. The BK7 is too long for fine work. You need a 3" blade with it. Might as well have the extra length and metal of a BK9. I like the grind, steel, removable handles, and the FREE BK13 blasts sparks.

Or if you have the cash, what AJ said. I like the
Make/Model: Dead Metal Primary Instinct
Blade Material: 5160 Carbon Steel .25" Thick, Black Oxide
Handle Material: Cord Wrap (color may vary)
Hahaha. Good choice.

I own this one:

Quote:
Make/Model: Dead Metal Primary Instinct, Tiger Striped
Blade Material: A2 Steel, .25" Thick
Handle Material: Black Cord Wrap
Description: From the tip of the massive clip blade to the functional pry bar butt, the personal touches of the maker have created the ultimate survival tool. Quarter inch A2 steel is the backbone of this tool while a graceful upsweep along the spine puts most of the steel behind the tip, a full 1.75" from spine to edge. The top edge of the handle drops slightly to the grooved thumb ramp to maximize control under the most difficult tasks. A classic style survival knife that you can really get your hand around.
Dantes Model #: DM1BAKBCW
Dantes Price: $275.00

If you want a huge hunk of steel for heavy chopping this is it.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Proud American

i'm pretty sure most people are going to go for the beckers since they are more affordable.
after you get the becker, maybe if you have any left you can buy some more gear.
kinda the people that buy a ak instead of a ar they tend to usually be more affordable, the left over money they can buy some ammo with it, the ar you are broke and cant afford to shoot it now.

i don't know just throwing out a thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to kidyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Living To Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyouth View Post
i'm pretty sure most people are going to go for the beckers since they are more affordable.
after you get the becker, maybe if you have any left you can buy some more gear.
kinda the people that buy a ak instead of a ar they tend to usually be more affordable, the left over money they can buy some ammo with it, the ar you are broke and cant afford to shoot it now.

i don't know just throwing out a thought.
Or a better value. I am almost the opposite. A big believer in you get what you pay for. So I have spent some decent change on some knives. I also like to research what I buy especially in regards to survival home defense products. When Becker appeared to compare favorably to some $400 knives. I had to try one, I mean how wrong could I be for $50? I could always throw it in the tool box. I was so completely impressed that I now have a BK13, a BK9, a BK7 and two BK2. All five knives for less than one of my other high end, high dollar, high carbon knives of equal quality. Sometimes an American Company just plain gets it. Becker makes knives for for the working man, knives that work for a living
Old 08-08-2009, 02:30 PM
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
Or a better value. I am almost the opposite. A big believer in you get what you pay for. So I have spent some decent change on some knives. I also like to research what I buy especially in regards to survival home defense products. When Becker appeared to compare favorably to some $400 knives. I had to try one, I mean how wrong could I be for $50? I could always throw it in the tool box. I was so completely impressed that I now have a BK13, a BK9, a BK7 and two BK2. All five knives for less than one of my other high end, high dollar, high carbon knives of equal quality. Sometimes an American Company just plain gets it. Becker makes knives for for the working man, knives that work for a living
yes buying a becker is a more affordable option.i didn't say buy the cheapest thing you can find.
i think there are some great alternatives to the huge 300 dollar plus knives out there. and beckers aren't the cheapest thing either.

look at the camelback gear its cheaper than kifaru and they even outfit the airforce with camelbak.so it can't be so bad. i wouldn't mind a kifaru but if i can get a camelbak and some other stuff, its great.

i'm not saying buy cheaper than dirt brand. but there are other alternatives out there. not everyone can afford a strider or even wants one.

and high price doesnt always mean the best option.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Survivor

The sp10 (also American made, in Olean NY...just like Ka Bar is Franklinville NY)is also 1095, and I've had mine do everything I've asked it. are the becker ka bars good? I'll wait until I can test myself to make that call.

Quote:
How is the now $100 Becker more affordable than the $55 sp10?

For same $90-$100 I can buy a Becker for, I can also get a trailmaster (sk-5, very similar to 1095) and an Rtak 2 (1095). I think either of those options are just as viable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ls1 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2009, 02:44 PM
Proud American

Quote:
The sp10 is also 1095, and I've had mine do everything I've asked it. are the becker ka bars good? I'll wait until I can test myself to make that call.

How is the now $100 Becker more affordable than the $55 sp10?

For same $90-$100 I can buy a Becker for, I can also get a trailmaster (sk-5, very similar to 1095) and an Rtak 2 (1095). I think either of those options are just as viable.
yes they are great knives too.
what i was trying to say is there is other alternatives to the higher end knives. no reason to get upset.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:08 PM
Living To Ride

Quote:
high price doesnt always mean the best option.
Exactly, agreed. Higher price does not even mean better. Top of the line quality can be had for less if you don't need the newest tactical logo

Quote:
$100 Beckers? Where? Other than limited edition collector editions and the Tac Tool which is not really a knife there is not a production Becker made that can not be had NIB for under $70.00.

I get that you like your Ontario SP-10 but why disparage Beckers? Especially with out dated inaccurate untrue information. Why not just share what you like about Ontario SP-10?

Of course if you have a Becker and actually know something negative about them from personal experience I for one would be most interesting from hearing about it. My bet is Ethan Becker would love to hear about it and than do all he could to fix it. As it is based on my experience there is no need to put down anyones knife to explain what a superior knife Ka-Bar Beckers are. There is a reason KA-BAR is synonymous with survival combat knife,. Why their designs and 1095 steel is the standard by which all others are judged. Why KA BAR have been standard issue since WWII. Not to mention IMO Ethan Becker is just a great guy. A true outdoors man, spelunker and climber. His first knives were made for his bros in the Marines during Nam. His packs and climbing gear are still used by Spec Ops and SEALS and who hasn't enjoyed at least one great meal out of his Joy Of Cooking cookbook

Last edited by LongRider; 08-08-2009 at 11:25 PM..