Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 07-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Semper Paratus

Default AK-47 Vs. VZ-58

Advertise Here

While browsing a local gun shop today, I ran across a VZ-58 that looked to be in very good condition. Since I know very little about about AK's in general, I went home and did some research and discovered that a VZ-58 is in fact, not an AK-47 variant. I had allready made up my mind to buy an AK-47. Since discovering the VZ-58, which appeared to be of better quality than the Ak's on display, I am not sure now.

If there are any experts out there that could impart some wisdom in my direction, I would be grateful. Maybe a comparison between AK's and VZ's as far as dependability/reliability, spare parts/mag availability, accessories etc...

What are your opinions guys???
Old 07-20-2009, 10:53 PM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 6,988 Times in 3,332 Posts

I have never noticed any VZ replacement parts or accesories on store shelves. But I'm not a big AK guy so....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeffrey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2009, 11:18 PM
Semper Paratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by westchestnutboy View Post
ak wins alllll
While I respect your opinion, I was hoping for something a little more informative...
Old 07-20-2009, 11:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,682 Posts

If they whereof better quality then a AK then you would see them on the wall and not the AK's. Ak's are like a Chevy small block engine time proven, durable, trusted, cheap and very reliable.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:37 PM
Retired from this *****.

im pretty sure vz-58's use different magazines than the ak which makes them harder to find and more money than an ak mag., but in my opinion the ak is better in general just because ... well its an AK
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tritt007 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2009, 12:50 AM
GrevCon 7

Thanked 11,574 Times in 3,197 Posts

Parts count. Mags need a US floorplate and follower based on most builds on the market. If you don't ask questions and know what your doing you could run afoul of 922.

Make certain the builder has a full parts count without the mag parts or the day you stick a surplus mag in the countdown timer to the pokey begins.

Other than that they hold up about the same. More bolt rebuilds needed. extractors wear quick.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2009, 01:18 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
Parts count. Mags need a US floorplate and follower based on most builds on the market. If you don't ask questions and know what your doing you could run afoul of 922.

Make certain the builder has a full parts count without the mag parts or the day you stick a surplus mag in the countdown timer to the pokey begins.

Other than that they hold up about the same. More bolt rebuilds needed. extractors wear quick.
uncle sam might act like a butt hurt little childish ***** if they catch you violating that law by adding the magazine to the weapon, bu they don't have psychic powers to know when you do. Something as insignificant as this should be disregarded and not obeyed.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:09 AM
I love this forum

I own a vz-58, I can tell you my experiance with the gun. I have never had a issue with it and the realiability is very good, very comfortable and is machined not stamped steel. Even with that it is lighter thatn a AK. I have read its more accurate. I seen on guns and ammo that the Viet kongs speacial units used the VZ and liked it better than the AK.
The only fault is that it is not as prolific as the AK so obviously it does not have as much support in way of parts and Mags. But other than that most unbiased reviews say that it is superior to the AK in almost everyway.

But try to use one first and see what you think. I love mine and is my goto gun.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:20 AM
Pantomime Villain

Thanked 4,874 Times in 2,100 Posts

I'd tend to go with the rifle that you always can easily find replacement parts / add ons for. That's going to be the AK.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dark Skies For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2009, 04:25 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,184 Times in 682 Posts

I had the pleasure of fingering a few. They do seem to be built better then most of your standard AK's. I also have heard they are more accurate, but one shooter said he was prone to getting gases in his face a bit. He said he hadn't heard that from anyone else.

Overall I think its on par or better in construction then most AK's with the exception of MAYBE the Bulgarians. Then again its cheaper then a Bulgarian.

Wish I could be more help but cz58guy made a good review and personally if I didn't own a krinkov I might think about getting one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarksInnerDemon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2009, 08:22 AM
Slayer of Sacred Cows

If I was not already deeply invested in the AK system I might consider getting one or two or three.

Just remember to stock up on mags and parts if you choose either one.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:38 AM
Neo-Samurai.

Hey, while I am no expert on either I thought I would share this little bit of information with you ; The Czechs won the right to use this while the rest of the Soviet Union had to use AK-47's. That should tell you something!
The Following User Says Thank You to Stormtrooper. For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2009, 11:24 AM
Bad Guy

Cowboy,

VZ parts and mags are available from CZ-USA, Czechpoint.com and Numrich(e-gunparts.com). They are very nice rifles, but like the other fellas said, it's not an AK-47.
The Following User Says Thank You to Guerilla For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2009, 11:36 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,816 Times in 1,263 Posts

There only real argument is your firearm philosophy.

The AK and AKM's are prolithic, that's just a fact.

Parts availability is dependent on your parts philosophy. For some, spare parts are complete weapons.

In which case, they would advise you to buy 2 or 3 or whatever firearm.

For others, it's keeping around what's most likely to fail, ie springs, extractors....you get the point.

The VZ is very nice, the only reason I don't own one now is because I'm heavily invested in the AK and the magazines for the VZ are proprietary .....otherwise I'd be all over one or 2 myself.

If I were to start over again, before the election spike in cost, I'd wouldn't feel shorted with a VZ at all.

Again, it's all dependent on your personal philosophy of owning firearms.

Buy 2 and invest in a parts kit, they are out there but you have to look for them....

sigh.....gunbroker has them

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=134292669
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sojurn87 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Semper Paratus

Thanks everyone for the info. I have pretty much made up my mind to get one. I followed the web sites and links you guys provided and it seems to me that parts, while not being interchangable with the ak, are available enough. I suspect that if time and finances allow, I will pick up an ak, if for no other reasan than just because I can.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy832 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2009, 12:53 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Thanked 3,033 Times in 1,500 Posts

I think it really might be the ebst value for the $$$. I don't think they are as nice as the top-of-the-line AKs (like pre-ban stuff), but they are very solidly built and a worthy score!!

good luck, man, and enjoy!
Old 07-21-2009, 01:49 PM
Bad Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy832 View Post
Thanks everyone for the info. I have pretty much made up my mind to get one. I followed the web sites and links you guys provided and it seems to me that parts, while not being interchangable with the ak, are available enough. I suspect that if time and finances allow, I will pick up an ak, if for no other reasan than just because I can.
Well done. czechpoint-usa.com will get you spare extractor, firing pin, all springs and pivot pins, bolt etc. Numrich usually has czech surplus 30 round mags.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:13 AM
Recent Blog:
I'm the boogey man.......

Thanked 8,413 Times in 3,207 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

If parts and mags for the VZ were as widely available as AK parts, I'd have a rack of VZ-58s in a second. It's better built and more accurate then the AK, not to mention a smoother shooter as well...
The Following User Says Thank You to kahn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2009, 11:12 AM

VZ-58 and AK-47 illustrated comparison

http://50ae.net/VZ-vs-AK/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mkillebrew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2009, 01:17 PM
смерть на дальнем расстоя

Thanked 6,995 Times in 2,508 Posts
Default Look it over !

When you look at the comparison on the link. Be sure to note that there are several more parts than an AK. This is what an AK an AK. For the money and all other aspects involved. The AK is a better value in the long run.

Randy