Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 07-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Prepared

Default Deep cycle battery/inverter set up

Advertise Here

Would it be possible to have a deep cycle battery with say a 2000watt multiple plug inverter attached to it, and a small trickle charger plugged/attached to the inverter, and than looped around and attached to the battery, for a continuious loop recharging system to run small fans/lights, etc from an unused inverter plug..thoughts on this if this makes sense, would it work?
Old 07-20-2009, 06:24 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 6,819 Times in 3,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranbo1213 View Post
Would it be possible to have a deep cycle battery with say a 2000watt multiple plug inverter attached to it, and a small trickle charger plugged/attached to the inverter, and than looped around and attached to the battery, for a continuious loop recharging system to run small fans/lights, etc from an unused inverter plug..thoughts on this if this makes sense, would it work?
no. you have to have power coming into the system somewhere.
what you are suggesting is a sort of 'perpetual motion'...in this case, 'perpetual power'.

now.. hook your battery up to a solar panel or windcharger, even a bicycle running an automotive alternator and you have a power system.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:37 PM
Prepared

i thought about solar trickle charger..but the deep cycle would start off with a full charge, as long as one is not depleting more than what is actually needed to keep the cycle going?
Old 07-20-2009, 06:46 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
i thought about solar trickle charger..but the deep cycle would start off with a full charge, as long as one is not depleting more than what is actually needed to keep the cycle going?
there is no way that you can charge a battery with a charger plugged into an inverter running off THAT battery.
you can use just a fully charged battery hooked to an inverter, for a while, until the battery runs down and then recharge it. but in a power system there must be in input that at least matshes your output. the power has to come from somewhere.you MUST have a power input into the system somehow. the problem with just using the battery is that you will constantly fully discharge the battery, greatly shortening it's useful life.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Prepared

we considered using a marine deep cycle battery, made for multiple discharge/recharges, not a car starter battery...i was told this system has worked? any other reviews appreciated..thx
Old 07-20-2009, 06:55 PM
Diver

You just described the set up in my travel trailer, except that all the lights and built-in electronics work on 12V DC. I have a 400 watt dual outlet invertor that I plug into a 12V DC outlet to run ta 20" LCD TV ( with built in DVD player) and the satellite receiver. I have 2-75 amp hour deep cycle batteries for house storage and a 120 watt charger on the roof. I've dry camped for three days and not run out of power.

On a different subject. I also have a Xantrax 1800 watt inverter. Last weekend I hooked it up to a 105 amp hour deep cycle battery as a test to see if it would run my freezer. I plugged it in, the freezer started and ran without a problem for 6 hours. I disconnected the battery and put it on a charger, the battery still read 12.1 volts after 6 hours.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwcoastal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2009, 06:59 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcoastal View Post
You just described the set up in my travel trailer, except that all the lights and built-in electronics work on 12V DC. I have a 400 watt dual outlet invertor that I plug into a 12V DC outlet to run ta 20" LCD TV ( with built in DVD player) and the satellite receiver. I have 2-75 amp hour deep cycle batteries for house storage and a 120 watt charger on the roof. I've dry camped for three days and not run out of power.

On a different subject. I also have a Xantrax 1800 watt inverter. Last weekend I hooked it up to a 105 amp hour deep cycle battery as a test to see if it would run my freezer. I plugged it in, the freezer started and ran without a problem for 6 hours. I disconnected the battery and put it on a charger, the battery still read 12.1 volts after 6 hours.
that is fully discharged. a fully charged 12v battery is 14.5v.

the dude here is not talking about a solar charged system, but he wants to charge his battery, with a charger plugged into an inverter running of THAT battery. he's talking about a closed system with no input.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Prepared

The input is from the battery to inverter to trickle charger to battery to inverter to trickle charge, and so on..running small electrical units from an extra plug oulet from the inverter..
The Following User Says Thank You to ranbo1213 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2009, 07:28 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,385 Times in 674 Posts

Like bikerdruid said, Nope. Won't work. The easiest way to explain why is that even good inverters are only around 90% efficient. So the inverter would be taking out 10% more than it puts back in at best.

12.1v is not completely discharged, but is usually (voltage measurements are only approximate) around the 50% mark which is about the lowest you want to drain a deep cycle battery. It can go lower than 50%, but then you start shortening the battery life. Optimally you only want to discharge to about 75 or 80%.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Texas chooses people.

Thanked 1,590 Times in 774 Posts

What biker is trying to say is that from what we can determine is that in your closed loop, your output is exceeding your input. Your battery will die. If you can come up with an idea to where there is some type of generating system that puts more charge power into the system than it takes to run it, you may have a winner. I know what you're trying to do, and I'll throw it on my plate too, and mill it around.
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2009, 08:30 PM
Prepared

i realize the power consumption issue..just heard it will work, so i brought the idea home and to u folks for input. south florida brings us hurricanes and people are milling generator ideas...hell i ran an invertor off my pick up truck for a few days so we had some fan and tv power during hurricane rita...i spoke to someone today second hand, they have a family member that said he made this idea work? thx for all the input.
The Following User Says Thank You to ranbo1213 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2009, 09:41 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 12,488 Times in 4,618 Posts

I have been using a modest size solar panel to keep my RV battery charged. I set the charge controller at 14.25 bulk, 13.25 float, and it measures 12.75 when fully charged at rest. Since I want to keep from killing the battery I only run it down to about 50-60% depth of discharge which measures about 12.1V. Any thing below that will drastically shorten battery life.

ps I second the disbelief that you can recharge a battery from it self. Working systems of that nature have some outside energy input. It is called the first law of thermodynamics.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,106 Times in 1,682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdruid View Post
Where do I get one of these super Batteries? I'm sure they do not exist.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:40 PM

dude - accept that it won't work , cause it wont.
what you are trying to achive is impossible due to the losses in the system , ie Voltage drops across the cables, fans, lights consuming power, the battery charger consuming power etc etc.

As they said before- go solar etc for charging the batteries.
if you do get a " lossless " system like that working you will be one of the brightest minds in the known universe ..
Old 07-20-2009, 10:42 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSShonky View Post
if you do get a " lossless " system like that working you will be one of the brightest minds in the known universe ..
Not to mention enough money to make Bill Gates look like a welfare case.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:55 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,890 Times in 691 Posts

If I take 6 bullets out of the box, put three back in.... I should never run out
Old 07-20-2009, 11:01 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagfactor View Post
If I take 6 bullets out of the box, put three back in.... I should never run out
Absolutely!!! There's a shop where you where you can buy them, forgot the name but you can ask Jack, it's the same place he bought his beans for the beanstalk.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,106 Times in 1,682 Posts

Quote:
Look at a electric car Prius Hybrid... it can not generate enough power off the wheels turning to keep the Batteries Charged. The gas motor has to assist, if when they go dead.... same concept here. If this was possible to do this all he greedy power companies would be out of Business. All the OPEC countries would be looking to buy used camels because they would be broke. If this was so simple and it worked Utube would be full of videos on how to do this. Sorry it is not possible. A fuel cell is our only hope if we last that long.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:28 PM
Sell crazy someplace else

Thanked 1,551 Times in 840 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdruid View Post
I believe a fully charged battery is 12.5 volts. 14.5 volts to charge the battery.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:52 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Where do I get one of these super Batteries? I'm sure they do not exist.
dude..ask your mechanic what the voltage of your car battery is. fully charged it's 14.5volts. it's a fact.