Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 07-19-2009, 11:32 PM

Default Best combat knife?

Advertise Here

Hey guys, I know a bunch of people always ask "What's the best survival knife", so I am here to ask something different!

What, in all of your opinions, are some of the best knives to be used only for combat? Preferably fixed blade.

Just looking to hear some opinions, thanks guys!
Old 07-20-2009, 01:41 AM
Closed.

Thanked 26,125 Times in 10,995 Posts

That would depend alot on fighting style, Khukri's make a mean weapon use in such a way as a hacking short sword but then so does the Fairbourne Sykes mainly designed for piercing, dramaticaly different design's both VERY effective.

I dont think there is a BEST just personal preference same as anything else.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Blackthorn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2009, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge View Post
That would depend alot on fighting style, Khukri's make a mean weapon use in such a way as a hacking short sword but then so does the Fairbourne Sykes mainly designed for piercing, dramaticaly different design's both VERY effective.

I dont think there is a BEST just personal preference same as anything else.
I agree with smudge. I think that it's all what your preference is. My preference would be something large, double edged blade, with a sharp point for thrusting. So I guess something more of a dirk.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zatoichi37 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2009, 02:35 AM

Default something like

what I attached.

The moros and the christian pilipinos are still fighting today using these weapons in jungle combat.

These are my personal choice based on years of teachng knife combat... and I mean wshtf and nobody cares about knife carry ordinances or for when Im in the woods and something attacks me.

Lately I've been into designing a single edged 'shaving razor' that has rare earth magnets in the handle so that once the razor is opened the end of the metal is held open by the magnets. when closed. the blade is held closed by the same magnets.

When I run in the mornings I tend to carry a belt actuated folder. I run with an ipod and I like listening to music. I run at 6am so there usually arent any thugs around.... if there were i'd carry dual batangas.

BladeGuru
Attached Thumbnails
barong.jpg   alamobowie.jpg   barong_01.jpg  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BladeGuru For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2009, 12:24 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,444 Times in 974 Posts

Sog gov tac would be a good fighting knife a bit on the short side but depends on what type of fight for the knife as well open area up close.. do you need it to be hiden doesnt mater

sog gov tac.. I have on and love it downside is the kydex sheath scratchs the handle of the blade but o well dont care about all my knives finish
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to haha49 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2009, 12:30 AM
Doubts Most Everything

Thanked 2,847 Times in 1,577 Posts

There's a reason the Ka-Bar USMC fighting knife has been issued to every branch of our armed forces at one time or another. And often carried by choice even when it wasn't.

- OS
Old 07-22-2009, 01:01 AM
Recent Blog:

IM a big fan of the Khukuri my self, but I also cut meat for a living and with my six inch boning knife and some effort i can turn a moose into shreds i think it depends on your skill and comfort level if you don't mind the smell of guts then a short sturdy, but flexible blade slipped between the ribs is perfect. but if that doesn't fit your Fancy than a Khukuri or a tomahawk will keep you at a safer distance from your foe.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Midwest mutt For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2009, 01:21 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest mutt View Post
IM a big fan of the Khukuri my self, but I also cut meat for a living and with my six inch boning knife and some effort i can turn a moose into shreds i think it depends on your skill and comfort level if you don't mind the smell of guts then a short sturdy, but flexible blade slipped between the ribs is perfect. but if that doesn't fit your Fancy than a Khukuri or a tomahawk will keep you at a safer distance from your foe.
I love the KaBar and have another on the way as another posted, but here is the real answer from someone who's using one daily...

read between the lines and it sounds a LOT like what can "YOU" do with a knife if it's in your hands? ANY KNIFE? I personally keep a small leatherman juice tool on me at all times, and you know what, I'm not pulling out the blade to go after someone because I'm better off having it in my hand adding mass to my throws.

IF I were to use any of the tools on that, it would be the corkscrew, not any of the cutting blades. I'm already at the "up close and personal" level, why not put the extra "love" into a punch with a corkscrew between a couple fingers?

Now, if someone has a knife and knows how to use it, they will cut you to shreds... but that's not an easy skill to learn and it's got a lot of points of failure, for example as soon as you start using it, someone is bleeding, you or the other guy, either way, someone is bleeding, and you're sweating.. and now it's hard to hold onto!!!

What are the chances that on this board, dedicated to survival, that ANYONE, will ever lose a knife fight because they bought the 14 dollar special at the gun show instead of the 300 dollar Buck or [insert favorite maker name here]?

ZERO. If you're close enough to kill them with a knife, you're probably close enough to kill them with a heavy stone or a sharp stick, and in either case it doesnt have to be a weapon that costs hundreds of dollars.

As a matter of fact, when it comes to knife fighting, you're probably better off knowing a lot more about martial arts and open hand fighting against an opponent relying on one to win.

Now if you are fighting Rambo or whatever, then forget it, but the point is... why pour $500 worth of worry into a 5 dollar hole?
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hatch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2009, 01:34 AM
Doomsayer

Thanked 5,799 Times in 2,013 Posts

The one whos handle is sticking out of the 'other guy'.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:50 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,444 Times in 974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kregener View Post
The one whos handle is sticking out of the 'other guy'.
and he stays down..
Old 07-22-2009, 09:41 AM
"Not vengence Punishment"

A very popular and much sought after fighting knife is the Gerber MK2. I had one in the 80's and traded it for a buck not knowing what I had. Boy was I taken for a ride.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amra910 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2009, 12:14 PM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 6,988 Times in 3,332 Posts

Fighting knives are like firearms, your skill makes the most difference. America is too young to have a serious culture around fighting knives. Look to Japanese designs. They have been making serious fighting blades for a loooong time and know what they are doing.

Better fighting knives have a curved blade and are slender with a real guard. Utility/field/survival knives have thicker/deeper blades for prying and are usually kinda heavy.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jeffrey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2009, 12:32 PM
I love this forum

Box cutter.
Supposedly.... they were the final nail in the coffin for the brainwashed Mpyre.
150 plus people ...Amurikkastanianz...can't take out 2 or 3 idiots with box cutters.
Go get a dozen at your local Pakistani owned quickie mart.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:38 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 7,285 Times in 3,149 Posts

cold steel OSS

Old 07-22-2009, 02:08 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 41,872 Times in 5,740 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

An original Randall R-1 if I had the money. Since I don't a Cold Steel Oda which is very very similar to the R-1 (I have two) but since they are out of production a Marine OKC-3S bayonet/fighting knife (I have one).

Randall R-1

Cold Steel Oda

OKC-3S bayonet/knife
Old 07-22-2009, 03:11 PM
Recent Blog:

whatever knife a person choses they should practice often with it I agree your hands can be great tools. I like the corkscrew idea maybe some brass knuckles or a roll of quarters any thing helps in a pinch
Old 07-23-2009, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blammo View Post
Box cutter.
Supposedly.... they were the final nail in the coffin for the brainwashed Mpyre.
150 plus people ...Amurikkastanianz...can't take out 2 or 3 idiots with box cutters.
Go get a dozen at your local Pakistani owned quickie mart.
Dude,I know. If it went down the way they say it went down... that whole 1st plane was full of cowards. I mean a flight from NY to LA???!!!!!

Where were the Latin Kings, Bloods, Crips, etc. WTF!!

If Im on that plane I'm gonna rip those Al Queda SOBS a new one in their forehead.

Damn Sheeple.

America has gone soft.

BladeGuru

PS:I still say we nuke em.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BladeGuru For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2009, 05:03 PM

I am not a veteran. I am a 62 year old patriot-conservative-farmer.

How many of us would ever be involved in a boxcutter fight or even worry about a fighting knoife?

Not me, I'm afraid. I much prefer the utilitarian belt-tool or so-called Leatherman. I use my WAVE everyday on the farm and will continue to PINCH those that threaten me!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wolfy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2009, 02:15 AM
Wanderer

Thanked 1,609 Times in 133 Posts

http://www.crkt.com/ultima.html
the 2017 is mine, and what I would/will take to combat

Now for walking down the street after leaving the clubs at night? A fixed-blade Kerambit
The Following User Says Thank You to WildeWolff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2009, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildeWolff View Post
http://www.crkt.com/ultima.html
the 2017 is mine, and what I would/will take to combat

Now for walking down the street after leaving the clubs at night? A fixed-blade Kerambit
Why not carry both?

The crkt is too small. not much of a combat knife. More like an evolved steak knife.

now the kerambit has a long history of destroying people in the Malays.

A lot of people use kerambit like a reverse grip parry dagger in their OFF HAND with a forward grip knife such as your crkt in your main hand.

Kerambit in the off hand, btw is one of the ways to discourage 'pikal' or lead hand back reverse grip fighting.

BG
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BladeGuru For This Useful Post: