Survey; Millenials lack Survival Skills - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Survival Formlua for success Black Knight Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 18 01-19-2017 08:24 AM
Building A Prepping Library AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 3 01-11-2017 11:17 AM
Free Book: Nuclear War Survival Skills gotjunk Books, Movies & Stories 2 10-25-2016 02:41 PM
Suggestions for self learning Revmgt General Discussion 23 10-17-2016 06:54 PM

Old 01-16-2017, 07:04 PM
Trapper

Default Survey; Millenials lack Survival Skills

Advertise Here

http://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoor...al-skills.html

Honest to goodness I am surprised this article hasn't come up in a thread as of yet. I think the issue is more than "they live in a city and don't think they need to learn to survive without a telephone or all night grocery". It's a matter of not being taught how to survive and to realize that help might not be immediately forthcoming.

We're not demanding enough of the kids we raise nor do we teach them practicalities.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kturnerga For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kturnerga View Post
http://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoor...al-skills.html

Honest to goodness I am surprised this article hasn't come up in a thread as of yet. I think the issue is more than "they live in a city and don't think they need to learn to survive without a telephone or all night grocery". It's a matter of not being taught how to survive and to realize that help might not be immediately forthcoming.

We're not demanding enough of the kids we raise nor do we teach them practicalities.
Agreed. While I have yet to have any children of my own, I have helped to raise 5 others, and what is noticed is that they could get lost in an open field without GPS.

Many of them could not figure out how to eat without a restaurant, or at least a microwave meal.

I made a big deal of making sure the 5 I aided in raising learned the basic life skills of hunting, gathering, camping, fire starting, stealth, navigation, sheltering, etc. Seeing so many of the young struggle to do these basic absolutely needed life skills is sickening.
The Following User Says Thank You to nomadshooter For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2017, 07:29 PM
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 10,170 Times in 3,852 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadshooter View Post
Agreed. While I have yet to have any children of my own, I have helped to raise 5 others, and what is noticed is that they could get lost in an open field without GPS.

Many of them could not figure out how to eat without a restaurant, or at least a microwave meal.

I made a big deal of making sure the 5 I aided in raising learned the basic life skills of hunting, gathering, camping, fire starting, stealth, navigation, sheltering, etc. Seeing so many of the young struggle to do these basic absolutely needed life skills is sickening.
I'm proud to say, that both my daughters can not only survive SHTF, they will probably thrive. Now, on top of the training I gave them, both have military training.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dragunov For This Useful Post:

Old 01-16-2017, 07:33 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,729 Times in 1,278 Posts

They've come up in good times, they have no point of reference when it comes to scratching to survive.
A lot of us were raised or greatly influenced by people who went through the Great Depression, and that experience taught them a lot about survival.
Even the recession in the 70's, a lot of people had it hard. Millennial, and a lot of gen x'ers don't know what hard is
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Revmgt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2017, 10:22 PM
Trapper

There is so much wrong with the teens and early 20's generation that wilderness survival isn't even in the top 10.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Offrink For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2017, 10:31 PM
Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,370 Times in 440 Posts

Default Survey; Millenials lack Survival Skills
And reasoning skills, and social skills, and work ethics, and responsibility, taste in clothing and some hygiene issues.
Did I miss anything?
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Jlrhiner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2017, 10:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,801 Times in 4,018 Posts

I remember when my father passed away back in the early 90s, I was pressed into going through some of his things. I recall flipping through his copy of the boy scout handbook he grew up with. I then (later) compared it to the BS handbook I used on my way to Eagle Scout. It was different but still very similar.
I can only wonder what a current copy made in the last 10 years must look like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tedlovesjeeps71 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2017, 10:40 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,718 Times in 1,190 Posts

"“The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.”
Socrates (469–399 B.C.)

Boomers and Gen-x-ers are technology challenged.

Besides there are so many "Thou shalt not's..for Millennials...

Can't Carry Knives, guns, start fires, trespass laws, curfews, hunting, fishing, seasons......
To say nothing of trying get the iPhone out of their left hands.
And a BIG student loan....so stay in the parents basements...

No worries Mate.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2017, 10:45 PM

I think it has a lot to do with upbringing. I was taught at a young age to love and respect the great outdoors. I grew up hunting, fishing, camping and hiking while others were sitting around playing video games. While I don't have any children, the skills and activities I've been taught will definitely be passed down eventually. Don't even get me started on the entitlements I've heard on college campuses while I finished my degree.

FYI this is coming from someone in their early 20s who thinks my generation is a bunch of you know what's.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tacoma For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2017, 10:53 PM
Viva la revolution!

Thanked 3,766 Times in 1,209 Posts

mine wouldn't have any trouble making, but he would probably complain the whole time!!!

LOL just kidding(if your reading this son), kinda

Lack of life skills, which is hard to teach in such a cushy environment for sure. Some will make it........ others, not so much.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:09 PM
That'll be the day...

Thanked 1,211 Times in 376 Posts

My father never taught me outdoor skills. Although he was a cattle rancher and big game hunter, we never stayed in a tent.

The outdoor/wilderness bug bit me early and I just learned on my own. I have been better with my two sons, doing a lot of back-country trips, but my two daughters are darn skilled as well.....they are now between the ages of 22-28.

I will tell you that none of my kids friends have a lick of survival skills......most have never slept a single night in a tent and few have fished and I bet less than 2% have hunted game for food.....and we live in Colorado. I can't imagine how Millennials in the big cities will survive if SHTF.....

1.9 Million Millennials in New York City....Can you imagine the total of Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston....etc. that have near zero survival skills without a smart phone, a grocery store, electricity, etc.....????
The Following User Says Thank You to Big_John For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2017, 11:49 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 10,164 Times in 3,673 Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials

I raised my children to survive in all conditions, feast or famine, terrain, weather & walks of life.
They in turn, with my help they raised my grandchildren to be the same.
Couple months back, became a GREAT grandfather.

Proud old man.... here.

But (for sure) it's not all daisy's & easy to do.
There is a lot of patience, tough love, do your fair share, lead-follow or get the hell out of the way involved.

I feel sorry for a lot of neighborhood kids I see. Most could not survive without a cell phone, IPad, Facebook, twitter, a Bong, etc.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:03 AM
Heliphobe

Thanked 2,191 Times in 547 Posts

Millennials have not been allowed the necessary stress to develop the internal resilience required to deal with stress. They're stressed out for certain but that's a symptom of poor resilience. Not their fault, they were nutrtured poorly - literally raised to live in captivity, and not free range.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Art An Neart For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2017, 12:12 AM
Forward, into the fray!

Thanked 4,863 Times in 1,466 Posts

To heck with stealth navigation, I have an ex daughter in law who couldn't make a hamburger! She couldn't get dog poo off her shoe. Her mother is a registered nurse and considers herself renowned for her cooking yet she didn't teach her daughter to peel a potato.

It doesn't matter that they can't start a campfire without matches, I've met young ones who don't know how to make a baked potato. (I told them "well, you stick it an oven and bake it".) And ones who didn't know what to do about a broken shoe string.
The Following User Says Thank You to BabyBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2017, 12:22 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,006 Times in 1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol View Post
Besides there are so many "Thou shalt not's..for Millennials...

Can't Carry Knives, guns, start fires, trespass laws, curfews, hunting, fishing, seasons......
To say nothing of trying get the iPhone out of their left hands.
And a BIG student loan....so stay in the parents basements...

No worries Mate.
A good number of the boomers and x'ers ruin it for the rest of thier generation and muddle the next ones, imo.

Give credit though, at least there are a good number of ones that do want those restrictions done away with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
My father never taught me outdoor skills. Although he was a cattle rancher and big game hunter, we never stayed in a tent.

The outdoor/wilderness bug bit me early and I just learned on my own. I have been better with my two sons, doing a lot of back-country trips, but my two daughters are darn skilled as well.....they are now between the ages of 22-28.

I will tell you that none of my kids friends have a lick of survival skills......most have never slept a single night in a tent and few have fished and I bet less than 2% have hunted game for food.....and we live in Colorado. I can't imagine how Millennials in the big cities will survive if SHTF.....

1.9 Million Millennials in New York City....Can you imagine the total of Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston....etc. that have near zero survival skills without a smart phone, a grocery store, electricity, etc.....????
That to me is a sad thing. Being so close to the outdoors and never taking advantage of it. City dwellers in the big metropolitan areas where you drive 30 minutes and you're in another city, I understand. Being on the cusp of the treelines though.

I haven't even been hunting in a while due to work, and when I'm not working, my lazy working butt just wants to sleep and eat.

Sometimes I really want to just catch a good fish, or trap a meal and cook it up. Smell the ground and feel some dew early in the morning.

I'm a tired Dull Boy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Victor Grey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2017, 12:33 AM
Mr. Awesome

Thanked 3,267 Times in 595 Posts

I love how everyone bashes the generation that CREATED the medium they complain on.

Speaking as a 29 year old millennial, these millennial bashing threads are REALLY starting to get old.

A lack of a survival skill set is not defined by age. It is defined by upbringing.

I guarantee there are just as many boomers that are lacking in the survival skill realm as there are millennials. Someone mentioned the 1.9 million millennials in NYC. That doesn't account for the close to 6.5 million other residents who are NOT millennials.

You really think that those 6.5 million would fare any better? You are deluded if you think that generational age alone determines skill set, experience and knowledge.

Exhibit A: 69 year old professor at Berkeley vs. a 21 year old redneck country boy from say Kentucky. Which one do you think has a better chance of survival?

Just remember.....those horrible, spoiled, lazy, worthless millennials that are bashed almost daily here make up most of the U.S. military and a vast majority of 1st responders that you all claim to love and respect so much.

Just like everything else, it isnt an AGE issue. It is an ideology, upbringing and belief system issue.

The last line of the article makes my point quite nicely.

"Clearly, the pollsters did not consult any of F&S’s young readers. If they had, the results might look a little different."
Old 01-17-2017, 12:53 AM
Hiker

I've not caught fish more than I've caught fish. I can't say that I would make it and thrive. That's unrealistic chest beating.

Here in the PNW most everyone hikes, mountain bikes, etc. They are in good shape. We have a fire almost every night but in the woods it's hard! Everything is wet. I'll admit it, I've failed many times to get a fire going. Anyone telling you different is living a fantasy scenario in their mind. I bet most 20 years stand a better chance than a uber prepper that smokes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ubble-Gubble For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2017, 12:56 AM
Survivor

Thanked 11,801 Times in 4,018 Posts

^hes sooo mean. I need to pet a kitten after I finish with my coloring book!

Heehee. Sorry man, couldn't resist. Your correct of course, it's a mindset, not necessarily an age aspect. Yet even you gotta admit, given how many millennials act/portray themselves , it's easy to believe the world is becoming stupider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to tedlovesjeeps71 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2017, 01:09 AM
Heliphobe

Thanked 2,191 Times in 547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronLegion View Post
I love how everyone bashes the generation that CREATED the medium they complain on.
Looking at your posted age and copyright date at the bottom of the screen, you were 12 when vbulletin was first released ... the medium upon which this thread is hosted. You may not have invented hyperbole, by your generation appears to be very adept at it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Art An Neart For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2017, 02:03 AM
5 Will Survive

Thanked 59,585 Times in 9,666 Posts

Looking at current cultural trends, it seems that parkour is the answer to the apocalypse /sarcasm/.

But seriously, I don't think lack of preparedness is limited to millennials. We've been decadent and debauched since we 'won' WWII.

Every generation since then has had pretty disgusting features, from boomers on. We're all culpable.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to junglecrawler For This Useful Post: