Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes > Blade Reviews, Articles and Videos
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Blade Reviews, Articles and Videos Knives, swords and spears - anything sharp.

Advertise Here

Old 07-14-2009, 02:36 PM

Default Gerber Metolius Fixed blade

Advertise Here

Hi is there anyone who can give me a review on the Gerber Metolius Fixed blade?

I want to get it but not sure how good it is...
Old 08-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,902 Times in 1,819 Posts

Just making a logical guess, I would say it is a fairly good stainless steel 20.00 knife, but it sells for 30. Gerber Steel generally gets razor sharp, fairly easy. Some knives can Not be sharpened to razor sharp. For 20.00, if lost or stolen, you would not be heart broken. Gerber has some similar, fixed, full tang blades for 20.00. The Metolius will more than likely be 20.00, when the newer models come out.

That was making a huge assumption without using the knife.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:01 AM
Professional Knife Addict

I purchased one for my girlfriend to carry and for her camping trips. Nice and solid little fixed blade with full tang and skull-crusher pommel. Also razor sharp out of the box!
Old 05-25-2011, 11:14 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,163 Posts

Old 06-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Professional Knife Addict

It's such a nice design that I haf gotten my GF a Gerber Prodigy and she instead adopted my Metolius as she likes it better. GREAT little knife!
Old 12-05-2011, 12:17 PM
Recent Blog:
Hiker

I own a Metolius and I was surprised how it performed at my last campout with my son. I have owned many Gerbers including the BMF that was popular back in the '80s. I wish I'd never sold it.

I was sceptical in using this knife for batoning fearing the false edge might be a hinder, but it worked out just fine. I basically had 3 knives with me : Mora Classic #2, CS Bushman, and the Gerber Metolius.

The Metolius has a full tang with a 3.75" 9Cr18MoV steel, drop point blade & an overall length of about 8.5". It's feels nice in the hand and has a nice weighty feel to it (about 8ozs.). The handle is comfortable and fit my hand nicely (I have small hands). The sheath is ballistic nylon and feels like there is a plastic insert to maintain the shape. It came sharp from the factory. I believe it is made in China. I can remember when Gerbers were all made in the USA (sigh).

For $30 this is a good knife but not the best. It performed well at camp splitting lighter knot (fat wood) and oak wood. But, my go to knife was the CS Bushman for the larger diameter wood, but in a pinch the Metolius will work. As I stated b4 the edge is sharp and it maintained it with moderate to heavy use.

My son used it sparingly to whittle a wooden knife out of some white oak (he used his Mora 512 exclusively). I'll probably give him that knife since he really showed a liking for it, but not until I get some more use out of it.

Dom
The Following User Says Thank You to DomC For This Useful Post: