Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival gear buy, sell, trade and reviews section > Reviews and questions
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 07-14-2009, 02:59 AM
Allergic to Bull****

Thanked 15,316 Times in 5,426 Posts
Default Woodman's Pal vs Machete vs Kukri

Advertise Here

I own a Woodman's Pal. I have used it once in the field to try it out. It works OK. I wasn't super impressed and it feels a little unwieldy even with the leather wrapped handle.

What are your opinions on which tool to use for brush clearing or sapling take down?

A machete, a woodman's pal, or a kukri?
Old 07-14-2009, 06:47 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,007 Times in 423 Posts

I have 2 of the Ontario Spec-op survival machete's and love em. Had 1 for a couple years and finally got a 2nd one for my wife's truck. Great for chopping. digging, some prying.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Earthwalker.

Thanked 10,510 Times in 4,382 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 2

Machete for brush clearing.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:27 AM
Sweat more, bleed less!

Thanked 1,516 Times in 944 Posts

the woods man pal looks like its WAY too complicated and unbalanced. hen clearing bruch or chopping soft wood it may not be a big deal but lay into a piece of hard wood and it'll torq like a dull axe.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CPL_BS_88 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2009, 12:57 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 2,979 Times in 1,690 Posts

I like the Woodsman's Pal and the Kukri. Choosing between them is really a matter of needs. Machete's aren't worth a damn for anything but hacking a trail, which is something I try not to do.

I would say the Kukri has better all around uses.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AKpredator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2009, 10:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,120 Times in 1,274 Posts

Well, I have the Woodsman Pal, several machetes and a few Khukuris (Cold Steel and Himalayan Imports).

First, don't discount a simple Ontario machete (I prefer the 12" model). With a good convex grind, it will surprise you and give some hatchet users a run for their money. Of course, the steel is softer and needs to be maintained more, but it will handle hard wood quite easily.

Depending on your Kuk, they are excellent hardwood choppers and unless it's a lighter model, they are a tad difficult at using like a machete. They'll work, but you'll get tired pretty fast (good way to build the muscle strength up though).

Woodsman Pal. Kind of a thinner kuk, but still a pretty thick steel. It's almost as heavy as a kuk. It's not the best chopper, but it's a hell of brush clearer. I'll be honest, it's not my first pick for a wilderness tool, but I've done some brush clearning and this blade is great for chopping beneath the ground level to remove them. I like it, but my first pick would be a 12" Ontario machete and I would put a good convex grind on it for making it more than just a soft-vegetation cutting tool.

ROCK6
The Following User Says Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2009, 04:05 AM
cute is not always enough

Machete for brush clearing.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:17 AM
Trapper

For the FL area? Kukri.. they're meant for cutting dense brush like you've got in the everglades down there. They'll provide good leverage for cutting branches and so forth, and because of their design require less effort than a machete.

However, I don't know what a woodmans friend is so I can't give any input on that. I'll look at it in a minute but I don't have experience with it
Old 07-15-2009, 08:47 AM
Misfit Toy

Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,036 Posts

I've never had any experience with a woodsman's Pal. But I've owned and used a variety of Machete in my time. The 18" were most common and good tools, but I found the length to be somewhat cumbersome and overkill in dense bush.

I switched up to a 12" Ontario Blackie Collings and cut off a plastic US machete carrier to accomodate it. It was/is a good tool as well, but hard on the hands after about an hour of use. I used to carry a D3A glove with it to avoid blisters.

The Kukri was something I purchased years ago after watching a demo on Cold Steels site. When I received it, I noticed right away how ergonomically superior (imo) it was to the common machete. The weight forward design of the blade enables you to cut through some pretty mean bush and to say the grip is more user friendly over the machete style grips is the understatement of the year. Not to mention a tremendous dif in terms of blade flexing and vibration on the hands

They make several versions I believe, just slightly different in design but vastly different in regard to price. The utility model Kukri (one I own) I found to be what I needed for my applications. The LTC Kukri is the flagship of the line I believe.

Last edited by Raven; 07-15-2009 at 08:55 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Raven For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2009, 12:23 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 12,397 Times in 4,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJJ_Grappler View Post
I own a Woodman's Pal. I have used it once in the field to try it out. It works OK. I wasn't super impressed and it feels a little unwieldy even with the leather wrapped handle.

What are your opinions on which tool to use for brush clearing or sapling take down?

A machete, a woodman's pal, or a kukri?
They look cool and I was considering one. Thanks for bringing it up. Would you buy it again?
Old 07-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Allergic to Bull****

Thanked 15,316 Times in 5,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
They look cool and I was considering one. Thanks for bringing it up. Would you buy it again?

For the price, no I would not have. I think I may try to sell it and buy a machete or a Kukri style chopper.
The Following User Says Thank You to BJJ_Grappler For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2009, 02:53 PM

I like the 12" Ontario or the 14" Tramontina Bolo.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:25 PM
Sweat more, bleed less!

seems people forget that there is NO magic tool that will do everything. get a piece of paper and wright down all you options ie. the product. then wright down all the pros and cons for each. then decide what you need most, a blade for chopping, battoning, clearing trails, skinning/food prep.

the kukri come closest to an ''in-all'' blade but it still fall short in some aspects. I myself picked the kukri because of its many edges but i'd never go without another smaller knife.

kukri, mora, Wave, and my RAT5 is what i carry into the woods.

kukri for heavy work
mora for food prep
wave because of its utility
and rat5 for general utility and camp tasks.

If i plan on hunting i'll bring a dedicated skinning knife so i dont have to worry about contaminating food.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CPL_BS_88 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Target Shooter

Suwannee Sling. Invented in this century for clearing brush. Way bigger than a machete, however.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:12 AM

Default Personally

I'd say machete.

There is enough product variation to find a thick spined one so that it can work for wood chopping, etc.

The kukri, while a great fighting weapon and a decent survival knife just doesnt clear a site as well as a machete.

Thats why I say barong people. It does everything better!

Bladeguru
Old 07-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Sweat more, bleed less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeGuru View Post
I'd say machete.

There is enough product variation to find a thick spined one so that it can work for wood chopping, etc.

The kukri, while a great fighting weapon and a decent survival knife just doesnt clear a site as well as a machete.

Thats why I say barong people. It does everything better!

Bladeguru

The barong is a great blade too. If you live in an area with thick veg. then i can see that but as for me...i live in suoth central Kansas. its all small shrubs and hardwood. in the spring and eirly summer it can get thick but there are always game trails to take.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,120 Times in 1,274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPL_BS_88 View Post
seems people forget that there is NO magic tool that will do everything. get a piece of paper and wright down all you options ie. the product. then wright down all the pros and cons for each. then decide what you need most, a blade for chopping, battoning, clearing trails, skinning/food prep.

the kukri come closest to an ''in-all'' blade but it still fall short in some aspects. I myself picked the kukri because of its many edges but i'd never go without another smaller knife.

kukri, mora, Wave, and my RAT5 is what i carry into the woods.

kukri for heavy work
mora for food prep
wave because of its utility
and rat5 for general utility and camp tasks.

If i plan on hunting i'll bring a dedicated skinning knife so i dont have to worry about contaminating food.
I do hate the "one-knife-selection" threads as you're absolutely right that there is no magic tool that will do everything...every knife should cut; some will do some tasks better than others and vice versa.

Your selection CPL_BS_88 will handle about any chore you would need with a blade...that's what people need to be looking at is what selection is best for XYZ location, season or scenario. Skill with those tools is more important as it will maximize the use of what you do have and make your required tasks much more efficient.

Well, I too a few pictures of some of my choppers:

Here are the blades in question:

Now I have a 15" HI AK; pretty standard, but a stout chopper!
D-handled Woodsman Pal
Ontario 12" machete (modified edge that is both Scandi and convex ground)

Here's a shot of the spines:

HI AK is on the far left and is almost 1/2"
The Cold Steel Gurka Kuk right beside it is 5/16"...still pretty massive.
The Woodsman Pal and Ontario (BRKT Mod) are on the far end and quite thin in comparison.

I think it really depends on where you are located, season, what type of vegetation in your immediate AO, what you plan on doing and what you expect to accomplish.

I like the thick blades, but if you're trying to hack your way through very thick/leafy vegetation, you're going to wear your self out. If you have hardwoods/vines that Khukurie or thicker chopper will make a big difference.

Also, most of the machetes are pretty soft...including the Woodsman Pal. Some of the heavier duty choppers have been heat treated for a tougher edge to deal with hard wood and maintain its edge longer.

I have one of Cold Steel's Barong machetes. I must admit for the price it's actually a really good tool. Thicker than a Ontario/Tramontina machete, great edge and sold tang. I'm not big on rubber handles, but they are pretty comfortable but extended use would have to be done with a glove to avoid blisters. I really like it.

Although not typical pointed choppers, Goloks have their place as well and are often good for light or heavy vegetation depending on their design. The Martindale is pretty thin, but the Valiant Golok and Bark River's renditions are pretty thick but have excellent convexed edges that will give hatchets a run for their money on chopping.

I know the Woodsman Pal looks similar to a Khukurie, but the performance isn't even close. The Woodsman Pal really only excels at chopping briar and vines at the base...even into the dirt to chop into the root. Great at clearing, but that's about the limit IMHO.

ROCK6
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2009, 03:04 PM

Smith & Wesson SWBH Bush Hog Kukri 17.5" Blade with Sheath

I picked one of these up cheap (ebay) and like it a lot (i did trim the grip to fit my hand better), it did a good job cutting firewood and poles for camping (cut faster and deaper than the small axe) + didn't notice wearing it on my hip.

I normaly get stuff like this in person to feel if it's crap or not. but for the price it is very good. (Looked at the Cold Steel ones but some looked cheap and others were very $, couldn't afford high end RAT (+ they look heavy)
Old 07-23-2009, 05:12 PM
Sweat more, bleed less!

I think ROCK6 put it out there plain and simple...get them all and be happy!
Old 07-25-2009, 02:57 PM

Machetes are ok, The last one that I got, however, was less than about a centimeter wide and it bends easily. The material was good and the blade was sharp but it was destroyed in a few weeks...

If you are going to get a machete, get one that is at least a quarter of an inch thick. My debate partner is an adopted Fillipino and he has a collection of Fillipino machetes. Those are so though that you can cut down a good tree with them. (Which is my definition of a machete!)
Here are some examples of his machetes. He doesn't own these particular ones, but these are similar...
http://www.normstrainingblades.com/i...%20Machete.jpg
(The following (Barong) was my definite favorite. It's thick, wide and short enough to be weildy.)
http://www.cosmohouse.org/connection...ete-barong.jpg
The Following User Says Thank You to LokitheScot For This Useful Post: