Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 07-13-2009, 02:45 PM

Default Can humans safely use doxycycline intended for birds?

Advertise Here

I'm wondering if using doxycycline "Bird Biotic" intended for birds would have any adverse effects in humans.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:50 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanked 14,512 Times in 4,194 Posts

It should be. There are several medications that are used both on humans and in animals. Antibiotics and pain medications top the list.

You would need to adjust the dosage in order for it to be effective.

Be careful experimenting with antibiotics though--some are very specific for certain kinds of bacteria. Also, if you underdose or do not complete a full regime to an infection, the pathogen involved can become antibiotic resistant and much more dangerous.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:12 PM
homesteading mama.

I think this is used somewhat commonly for acne treatment. I have no idea the dosage.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:23 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhaeldl View Post
I'm wondering if using doxycycline "Bird Biotic" intended for birds would have any adverse effects in humans.
Yes it can be used in humans. As highlander pointed out make sure you take the correct dose.

Good luck

N-
Old 08-07-2009, 01:56 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhaeldl View Post
Doxy is prescribed for people however it is one of the antibiotics that MUST be thrown away after expiration date. It can be dangerous if taken past then. I know some people take antibiotics made for fish or other animals however there is no guarantee you are getting the right drug or dose by buying them that way. Anyone that is allergic to penicillin should never take a chance with any antibiotics that are not prescribed by a doctor and obtained by prescription from a pharmacy. If you have an allergy its just not worth the risk buying them any other way.