Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 07-13-2009, 11:37 AM
Maximus

Thanked 14,116 Times in 6,242 Posts
Default Potato Chip bags Mylar?

Advertise Here

I was eatting a bag of Doritos and I saw the shiney backing of what I thought to be mylar. It resealed in my foodsaver and it worked like mylar. Is this stuff food grade mylar with some designs printed on it? If it is, I am just going to start recycling this stuff to vaccum seal and store my dry stuff. My family goes through Costco size bags of this stuff all the time. It certainly isn't 5 mils thick though but I wonder if concept will work.
The Following User Says Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2009, 12:06 PM
Target Shooter

I'm definitely not an expert in the area. But it seems like a good concept. My only concern might be that its not as durable as regular mylar. I would probably just spend the extra money and get some thick mylar bags that are going to stand up to some weight.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff92 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Three Rings in Five Years

Thanked 27,795 Times in 14,587 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Maybe double bag stuff. The first bag to "seal" stuff in, the second as a security blanket. Might be worth a try
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2009, 01:49 PM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff92 View Post
I'm definitely not an expert in the area. But it seems like a good concept. My only concern might be that its not as durable as regular mylar. I would probably just spend the extra money and get some thick mylar bags that are going to stand up to some weight.
Yea that is what I was thinking. Certainly not as good as the ones you can buy. But it really isnt about the money, just like to reuse stuff whenever I can. And who knows, maybe somoene doesnt have the money/resources to order mylar bags and can use this also if it works. Ill try it out and let everyone know how it turns out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2009, 10:00 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdotcom View Post
Yea that is what I was thinking. Certainly not as good as the ones you can buy. But it really isnt about the money, just like to reuse stuff whenever I can. And who knows, maybe somoene doesnt have the money/resources to order mylar bags and can use this also if it works. Ill try it out and let everyone know how it turns out.
I just had a thought. They are small enough that they could possibly be used in homemade MREs to seal stuff like single servings of granola and such.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:59 AM
Good Bye

Thanked 1,380 Times in 663 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

look at the rates of through flow on bags that thin. these would not be good for long term storage.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:43 PM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigMund View Post
look at the rates of through flow on bags that thin. these would not be good for long term storage.
Depends on what chip bags though also. I eat "Terra Chips" and those bags are thick. Got to be at least 3 mils. Ill measure next time I get a bag.

Do you have a resource for the flowrates of various thickness of mylar? I would love to read that.

I vac sealed some coffee beans in some tostitos bags last week. Ill see how long the seal lasts for. Might take a year or so until I report back though LOL
Old 07-20-2009, 02:55 PM
Limpin to safety.

Thanked 16,788 Times in 4,592 Posts

I doubt its Mylar. However kutos on recycling.

Contact the Franchise and ask them specifically. In fact I will try and find you the number, if I don't ask them myself.

**edit**

http://www.fritolay.com/about-us/contact-us.html

On the other hand I bet you a nickle they would go with what ever is cheapest. Same reason why once you open the bag, you find that its already half empty. In economically frugal companies, expect low end results.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crutch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2009, 06:01 PM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crutch View Post
I doubt its Mylar. However kutos on recycling.

Contact the Franchise and ask them specifically. In fact I will try and find you the number, if I don't ask them myself.

**edit**

http://www.fritolay.com/about-us/contact-us.html

On the other hand I bet you a nickle they would go with what ever is cheapest. Same reason why once you open the bag, you find that its already half empty. In economically frugal companies, expect low end results.
Hey thanks for the contact page! Ill call them tomorrow. 30 minutes to late. Ill let you all know what they say though!

Edit:
Just contacted Terra Chips and they did say it was a pastic film sanwithched between layers of O2 barrier and design films. They said it was PET plastic though and food grade to keep oxygen out to maintain freshness. (well it better be!) LOL

Double Edit:
I guess PET is what Mylar is made of. Mylar one of the registered trademarked item/forumaltions. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PET_fil...ially_oriented) Hmmm. Interesting! Going to keep a better eye on my bagged items in the pantry lol

Tripple Edit:
Wow making dinner and saw this was 4 mils thick! Going to repack and see how it does compared to the chipbag.
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7200179.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	17876

Last edited by vicdotcom; 07-20-2009 at 06:47 PM..