Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files



Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 06:48 AM
Purdy Bear Purdy Bear is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SE London
Posts: 6,917
Thanks: 2,821
Thanked 6,648 Times in 2,878 Posts
Default Bobs - Diabetic Food Preps



Advertise Here

I watched the film Panic Room last night. Although it wasnt well researched Diabetic wise it did make me think.


I must remember to put Food into the BoBs to keep up blood sugars and not have it all non-sugar. My Dads a type 2 Diabetic and he uses Cheese Sandwiches to take his blood sugar up when its low. These ofcourse cant be that portable, but I think I will get some full sugar drinks and biscuits anyhow.
The Following User Says Thank You to Purdy Bear For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2009, 07:23 AM
ax4jc ax4jc is offline
Trapper
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 794
Thanks: 1,179
Thanked 1,012 Times in 426 Posts
Default

I saw that movie also, and you are right - not well researched at all about diabetes but decent movie none the less.

Being a type 1 diabetic may I make some suggestions. Consider some of the food bars specifically for diabetics like the Glucerna brand - they release glucose into the system at a controlled rate and will keep blood sugar at a stable level over a period of time and they don't take up much space in your BOB. For low blood sugars, instead of full sugar drinks - go to your local drug store and by a container of glucose tablets. They cost about 5 bucks, are specifically for treating low BG, will keep better, and treat more lows for the space in your BOB.

One needs to remember - this isn't about feel good tasty food - it's about survival in the most literal form.

On a personal everyday note - a cheese sandwich isn't the best choice for correcting low blood sugar. Absorption rate is unpredictable and the cheese is full of fat which screws with glucose absorption. Consider keeping around small bottles of orange juice - tropicana sells them that don't have to be refrigerated you can buy by the case at your local bulk store.

Just my two cents.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ax4jc For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2009, 09:58 AM
contact00 contact00 is offline
High on a mountain top
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver Island, Canada
Age: 37
Posts: 430
Thanks: 288
Thanked 216 Times in 145 Posts
Default

Sounds like good advice to me - I'm type 1 as well...
Old 07-09-2009, 10:17 AM
FlungPup's Avatar
FlungPup FlungPup is offline
Hiker
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver Canada
Posts: 688
Thanks: 200
Thanked 352 Times in 198 Posts
Default

Have either of you with Type I heard of Gabriel Cousens and his program to drastically reduce insulin intake, or even reverse diabetes, by eating a raw food diet? I'm type II and I'm going to experiment with this diet. I'd recently met a guy with Type I and he rarely needs insulin anymore.

I think this diet would work well in a SHTF or PAW situation. Living more on wild edibles, fresh gardened greens, and game/fish.

Link to Gabriel Cousens
The Following User Says Thank You to FlungPup For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2009, 10:22 AM
stevegee58's Avatar
stevegee58 stevegee58 is offline
Spooky
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Frederick County, MD
Age: 56
Posts: 1,689
Thanks: 118
Thanked 1,427 Times in 644 Posts
Default

If you're type 1, how are you going to survive without insulin, special diet or no special diet? A guy in the office is type 1 from an auto-immune disease and has to shoot up. I figured he'd be a goner in a SHTF event.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:09 AM
HippieChick's Avatar
HippieChick HippieChick is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sunny Southern California
Posts: 410
Thanks: 1,417
Thanked 423 Times in 127 Posts
Default

Excellent point! What a great thread! Stocking up on those little sugar wafer like pills in case your blood sugar gets to low wouldn't be a bad idea either. They are like $2 at Walmart or Walgreens

Hippie Chick
Old 07-09-2009, 11:11 AM
ax4jc ax4jc is offline
Trapper
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 794
Thanks: 1,179
Thanked 1,012 Times in 426 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlungPup View Post
Have either of you with Type I heard of Gabriel Cousens and his program to drastically reduce insulin intake, or even reverse diabetes, by eating a raw food diet? I'm type II and I'm going to experiment with this diet. I'd recently met a guy with Type I and he rarely needs insulin anymore.

I think this diet would work well in a SHTF or PAW situation. Living more on wild edibles, fresh gardened greens, and game/fish.

Link to Gabriel Cousens
I've never heard of this guy's diet. Although it is possible to reduce the amount of insulin needed, for a type 1 who makes little to no insulin at all, I cannot see how there would be no need at all for it. But thanks, I'll check it out.

Steve, hope your wrong about being a gonner if TSHTF - Less food would mean less insulin needed. I currently keep a 90 day supply, I'm on an insulin pump, but am fortunate enough to have my best friend as a pharmacist. So unless it's a total colapse, I'll be good one way or the other.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:13 AM
ax4jc ax4jc is offline
Trapper
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 794
Thanks: 1,179
Thanked 1,012 Times in 426 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieChick View Post
Excellent point! What a great thread! Stocking up on those little sugar wafer like pills in case your blood sugar gets to low wouldn't be a bad idea either. They are like $2 at Walmart or Walgreens

Hippie Chick
Another place to check out is Sam's - I was there a few weeks ago and they had the shrink packs with one sleeve of 10 and a bottle of 100 for .99. We asked if it was a mistake and it wasn't. Needless to say, I bought a few.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Trail Boss's Avatar
Trail Boss Trail Boss is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 384
Thanks: 11
Thanked 340 Times in 106 Posts
Default

Great points, my producer uses those cheese and cracker packs, where you dip the cheese out with the little plastic stick to bring up his blood suger they last forever and do not get crushed like a reguler pack would.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:27 AM
stevegee58's Avatar
stevegee58 stevegee58 is offline
Spooky
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Frederick County, MD
Age: 56
Posts: 1,689
Thanks: 118
Thanked 1,427 Times in 644 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax4jc View Post
Steve, hope your wrong about being a gonner if TSHTF - Less food would mean less insulin needed. I currently keep a 90 day supply, I'm on an insulin pump, but am fortunate enough to have my best friend as a pharmacist. So unless it's a total colapse, I'll be good one way or the other.
What I said before seemed kind of cold in retrospect. Sorry about that. I guess you just have to play the cards you're dealt and plan as best you can.

How long does insulin store? Does it have to be refrigerated?
Old 07-09-2009, 11:39 AM
ax4jc ax4jc is offline
Trapper
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 794
Thanks: 1,179
Thanked 1,012 Times in 426 Posts
Default

No offence taken - Insulin will store for 30 days unrefrigerated and 1 year refrigerated. Since I'm on the pump, my Dr. writes the prescription for 3 viles per month. I use a little over 2 per month. Refill my prescription 1 week before 30 days which is what the insurance allows, throw in some samples from the Dr. and the "stockpile" is in the works.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:50 AM
JedLMF's Avatar
JedLMF JedLMF is offline
The Jed.
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlanta Area, Georgia
Posts: 2,817
Thanks: 3,755
Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,014 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1
Default

Yeah I often wonder that too, My grandmother and uncle are diabetics, cannot remember type one or two. I do remember in Alas, Babylon in the book diabetics died after they couldn't keep insulin cold so they could take it.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:07 PM
angeryamerican's Avatar
angeryamerican angeryamerican is offline
Do you smell that?
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lake County
Posts: 4,578
Thanks: 9,308
Thanked 48,332 Times in 3,179 Posts
Default

My daughter is a type 1 also. In addition to that she has Celiac disease. Which is essentially a allergy to wheat gluten. So she cant have anything with wheat or gluten. This makes storing preps for her a nighmare. I ahve been working a insulin stockpile for her as well as the testing equipment. I finally have a couple thousands test strips and several meters for her, but the insulin needing refridgeration is a real hurdle.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:12 PM
ax4jc ax4jc is offline
Trapper
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 794
Thanks: 1,179
Thanked 1,012 Times in 426 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeryamerican View Post
My daughter is a type 1 also. In addition to that she has Celiac disease. Which is essentially a allergy to wheat gluten. So she cant have anything with wheat or gluten. This makes storing preps for her a nighmare. I ahve been working a insulin stockpile for her as well as the testing equipment. I finally have a couple thousands test strips and several meters for her, but the insulin needing refridgeration is a real hurdle.
That's tough for sure - My thoughts on refrigeration are if we get to a point where electricity is an issue, I would dig as deep as I could with post hole diggers, bury a PVC pipe with caps and keep it stored in the ground. Not optimum by any means but it would keep it cool and prevent from freezing also.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:13 PM
ax4jc ax4jc is offline
Trapper
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 794
Thanks: 1,179
Thanked 1,012 Times in 426 Posts
Default

Angery, don't forget batteries
The Following User Says Thank You to ax4jc For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2009, 02:05 PM
contact00 contact00 is offline
High on a mountain top
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver Island, Canada
Age: 37
Posts: 430
Thanks: 288
Thanked 216 Times in 145 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegee58 View Post
If you're type 1, how are you going to survive without insulin, special diet or no special diet? A guy in the office is type 1 from an auto-immune disease and has to shoot up. I figured he'd be a goner in a SHTF event.
That is a good question - I think for me being type 1 diabetic was one of the reasons for me wanting to be more prepared as it is much more important than it would be for a normal person.

Special diet will not keep a type 1 going, picture a car with no gas in the tank - doesn't matter how much you tune up the engine you're not going anywhere. Insulin is required to live, and by definition type 1's don't produce any insulin - the only known ways of getting it currently are injection or inhalation - pills won't cut it either.

I've got about 1 year worth of insulin and several thousand test strips stored away and I rotate through them. I was able to acquire this for free by joining a test study group for an experimental treatment (I was control group - so carried on as normal just recorded everything I did) we don't get paid in Canada for this, but I got a huge stockpile of supplies. If SHTF I'll be getting a lot more exercise which would mean using less insulin and I could probably stretch this out beyond 1 year.

I have a very efficient small refrigerator and a solar panel/battery which will power it to store my insulin if the mains power fails.

If society doesn't restore itself, or I'm not able to aquire black market insulin after a year or so by trading gold etc. then I'm pretty much done for but at least I will have done all I can
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to contact00 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2009, 04:11 PM
angeryamerican's Avatar
angeryamerican angeryamerican is offline
Do you smell that?
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lake County
Posts: 4,578
Thanks: 9,308
Thanked 48,332 Times in 3,179 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax4jc View Post
Angery, don't forget batteries
No worries there, got lots of rechargables and working on a solar charger.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:24 PM
SupermanPJ4444 SupermanPJ4444 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Maine
Posts: 240
Thanks: 80
Thanked 196 Times in 87 Posts
Default

My father is type 1 due to injury.

I've done some thinking about what to do with him PSHTF....

I've done some checking and back in the day they used to use pig insulin... I was wondering if there was a way to learn how to remove insulin from a slaughtered pig.....
Old 07-09-2009, 08:23 PM
contact00 contact00 is offline
High on a mountain top
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver Island, Canada
Age: 37
Posts: 430
Thanks: 288
Thanked 216 Times in 145 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanPJ4444 View Post
My father is type 1 due to injury.

I've done some thinking about what to do with him PSHTF....

I've done some checking and back in the day they used to use pig insulin... I was wondering if there was a way to learn how to remove insulin from a slaughtered pig.....
I didn't know much about this myself, but there was a good discussion about in here on this message board - I think the conclusion was it is quite hard to accomplish extraction of insulin from animals.

Maybe if you have the resources of a doctor or pharmacist in your group it might be smart to stock up on a few books on the subject and supplies just in case - but storing manufactured insulin is probably more realistic as the modern kinds are good for 1-2 years depending on when you get it.

Here is a recent discussion on this board:
http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...lin+extraction

Last edited by contact00; 07-09-2009 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: added link to other post
Old 07-09-2009, 11:20 PM
Kingfish's Avatar
Kingfish Kingfish is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,387
Thanks: 1,459
Thanked 3,965 Times in 1,552 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax4jc View Post
I saw that movie also, and you are right - not well researched at all about diabetes but decent movie none the less.

Being a type 1 diabetic may I make some suggestions. Consider some of the food bars specifically for diabetics like the Glucerna brand - they release glucose into the system at a controlled rate and will keep blood sugar at a stable level over a period of time and they don't take up much space in your BOB. For low blood sugars, instead of full sugar drinks - go to your local drug store and by a container of glucose tablets. They cost about 5 bucks, are specifically for treating low BG, will keep better, and treat more lows for the space in your BOB.

One needs to remember - this isn't about feel good tasty food - it's about survival in the most literal form.

On a personal everyday note - a cheese sandwich isn't the best choice for correcting low blood sugar. Absorption rate is unpredictable and the cheese is full of fat which screws with glucose absorption. Consider keeping around small bottles of orange juice - tropicana sells them that don't have to be refrigerated you can buy by the case at your local bulk store.

Just my two cents.
Well said, I am a type 2 with both high and low issues. I have weaned myself off of any meds but I still am stock piling 70/30 novilin just in case. Its good for about a year if you keep it cold, my wife who is a nurse says it keeps longer then that.

For food I have turned to lean meats like fish, vennison and rabbit. I get my complex carbs from Potatoes and Carrots, Apples and breads. I f I lose the breads I will eat more potatos and fruit. An apple will pick you up quick because of the sugar so half an apple and some potato and fish would go a long way to keeping me on a balanced diet. I try to eat about 65/75 carbs per meal 3 times per day. My sugar averages 110 with this diet and I am losing weight. One year ago I was in the Hospital with a 545 blood sugar. I am lucky to be alive. I was almost killed by Mountain dew and ice cream. For me there is no BOB as I am staying in my house on 10 acres nestled into a small community living on a 260 acre private lake. I am growing all of my own food with our own ducks, rabbits and a lake full of fish and tons of other wildlife. I had Snapping turtle soup two weeks ago , it was awsome. My main concern is making electricity so I can maintain my freezer and frig. We are canning now. Kingfish
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright Kevin Felts 2006 - 2012,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net