Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival gear buy, sell, trade and reviews section > Reviews and questions
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 07-07-2009, 07:08 PM
The DoomsDay Key

Default Hand pump for existing well?

Advertise Here

Hi all,
I don't quite know where to start with this, please forgive me if this has been answered a million times already. I did try searching, but not knowing the correct terminology may have been the problem.

I currently have a well that feeds a 1300 gal storage tank, so short term outages are pretty much covered, however, for anything longer I'm out of luck. The electric pump is in the bottom of the well. Is it possible to retrofit some kind of hand pump on to the well head to allow me to draw water up this well in a prolonged energy outage?

Thank in advance.
Wheatgrinder
Old 07-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Spooky

Thanked 1,425 Times in 644 Posts

Here's one I'm savin' up for:

http://www.survivalunlimited.com/deepwellpump.htm

I have a standard drilled well 180' deep, same problem. This thing will supposedly pressurize your pressure tank. No showers, mind you. But you can have pressure from your tap if you conserve water.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:47 PM
The Over 40 Club

Thanked 1,450 Times in 667 Posts

www.bisonpumps.com

These install and coexist with the electric pump.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Bleach blonde on fire :p

Thanked 8,963 Times in 3,695 Posts

Look here, a DIY pump:

Old 09-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 3,493 Times in 1,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatgrinder View Post
Hi all,
I don't quite know where to start with this, please forgive me if this has been answered a million times already. I did try searching, but not knowing the correct terminology may have been the problem.

I currently have a well that feeds a 1300 gal storage tank, so short term outages are pretty much covered, however, for anything longer I'm out of luck. The electric pump is in the bottom of the well. Is it possible to retrofit some kind of hand pump on to the well head to allow me to draw water up this well in a prolonged energy outage?

Thank in advance.
Wheatgrinder
I do not know if I can put into words but here goes, hopefully you can get the idea.

You have a pump in the bottom of the well.

Attached to the pump is an electric motor to turn the impellers on the pump which forces water up thur the pipe which is attached to the pump/motor.

Depending on your installer you could have a restrictor (limits the amount of water to a specified GPM, i.e. 2 gal, 4 gal, 8 gal, 16 gal, etc.)

You could also have one or more one way check flow valves in the line.

The point of all of this is that you have an open hole from the ground down to and thur the pump/motor.

You can attach a suction hand pump at ground level and you can pump water thur the pump and up the pipe to the surface.

You may have to PRIME the pump, that is put water in the hand pump to create a suction in the pipe. The idea is to have the pipe full of water and no repeat NO air in the pump or the pipe. If you have that you can hand pump the water out of the pipe.

Later
wayne
The Following User Says Thank You to HaroldWayneHamlin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2009, 10:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,680 Posts

Do you have a Jet pump out of the well or a submersible well that is at the bottom of the pipe going into the well? How deep is your well? Where does the static water level rise to. What are you looking do to for water out put? yourself, livestock, garden, etc.?? Answer these questions and we can better educate you on your options to meet your needs and desires.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:19 AM
Spooky

Thanked 1,425 Times in 644 Posts

I'd love to get me one of them thar Bison Pumps but they're a tad too rich for me. I've continued to search for less expensive and DIY solutions to getting water from a 180' drilled well and finally found an idea that hasn't been presented on this site.

Initially I found this youtube video: which linked back to the fellow's website here.

All the deep well hand pump designs center around one main principle: a piston with check valve with a push rod running to it from the pump handle. Most commercial designs use fabricated sections of pipe with guides for the push rod which you connect together to reach the desired depth.

This design is not a sucker pump, which it may kind of resemble at first glance. It uses a continuous piece of polyethylene pipe (flexible) that carries the water and the steel cable from the pumping mechanism at the bottom. The pump is actuated by pulling on the cable; the mechanism returns for the next pull simply from the weight of the water column.

The guy used to sell kits to set these up but stopped for some reason. But he has plenty of information on how to build one. Looks like little or no fancy fabrication work is required to make one of these things.

This is the first really novel idea I've seen for deep well hand pumps in a while and it at least warrants a second look. Also, poke around the rest of his web site. He has other novel ideas for wind powering the pump as well. He's a true nerd (in a good way).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stevegee58 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2010, 01:23 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 3,493 Times in 1,496 Posts

Hay, thanks alot. I will try this.

later
wayne
Old 04-04-2010, 01:17 PM
Sweat more, bleed less!

Thanked 1,512 Times in 942 Posts

like this?