Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 07-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Target Shooter

Default Mold on my guns in gun safe--help

Advertise Here

I have a gun safe that I made by putting some homemade gun racks inside a freestanding locking wooden closet. Inside, I store a bunch of old military rifles with wooden stocks. It always smells kind of musty and "woody" whenever I open the thing up.

About a year ago, I opened it up after a couple months and saw that many of my guns stocks were covered in gray mold. I wiped it off easily and there didn't appear to be any damage, but it still bothered me.

I just opened it up again today after a few months, and again there is gray mold over all the wood. There doesn't appear to be any rusting to the metal, but again I don't like or understand this.

Why is this happening?
What can I do to get rid of the mold for good?

Thanks.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:14 PM
DUG IN LIKE A TICK

Thanked 1,050 Times in 314 Posts

too much moisture in the air try a dessicant dryer in the safe or move it to a better area of the house. i had mine in the basement and it did the same thing so i moved it upstairs and problem solved
The Following User Says Thank You to shadow61 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2009, 12:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,629 Times in 1,712 Posts

Wipe down EVERYTHING with mild chlorine solution and dry thoroughly.

Go to a store that sells guns safes. They carry a small heater called "Dry-Rod". Plug it in to and out let and it takes care of the moisture.
The Following User Says Thank You to kajunman1 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Living the Obomination

Thanked 2,104 Times in 832 Posts

http://www.goldenroddehumidifiers.com/

I have one safe in the basement and it has a lower humidity in it than the one upstairs.... but this is an old house without central air. There is a dehumidifier in the basement that keeps the humidity about 45%. Both safes have a dehumidifier rod in them.
One has ben working since about 1993 without problems. Since installing the rods I have not noticed humidity higher than about 55% in the one upstairs (less in basement) which seems to be ok as I have not had a rust problem. I tried a dessicant dryer in the upstairs safe before buying the rod and according to the color changing indicator crystals in its top it only lasted about a week before needing a recharge...and no, I didn't open the door often. It must be cooked in the oven for hours and that seemed like the wrong way to go.
I have been buying some large bags of dessicant and leaving them sealed in their packages and adding a couple more ziplock bags just incase. I'll use these if we should lose power for an extened period of time. I might also tape the door crack shut too.

Last edited by American Chestnut; 07-05-2009 at 04:11 PM..
Old 07-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Living the Obomination

Be careful with that chlorine solution on blued steel guns!
http://www.finishing.com/489/59.shtml
Old 07-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,802 Times in 1,753 Posts

Try the heater or dessicant. Also, put your gun in gun socks. I use silicone gun rags and have little problems. Also, on my "Daily driver" guns, I oil the stocks and/or using thompson water seal in the hidden areas. Good old UV light on a sunny day can help take care of that mold.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:31 AM
Prepared in NH

Thanked 3,569 Times in 1,969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proyas View Post
.....Why is this happening?
What can I do to get rid of the mold for good?

Thanks.
Mold spores my friend, mold spores.

You could clean the wood with bleach, but since wood is porous, the old spores will not be killed. Bleach does not kill mold in porous materials, like wood. You need a solution/product that kills mold spores. Home Cheapo now carries products that do that.

Once you kill the spores, you need to seal up the wood, to protect it from moisture. Use a good sealant/paint, and caulk and seal the edges/seams/etc....go nuts. Try to seal ALL surfaces of wood.

Then install a dehumidifier in the room, and also a safe moisture-removal item (as has been already suggested).

(FWIW - We do a lot of water damage repair work in homes)

Hoarding, as a human behavior, may be a response to perceived or predicted shortages of specific goods, or …..a compulsive abnormal behavior.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:33 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHCraigT View Post
Mold spores my friend, mold spores.

You could clean the wood with bleach, but since wood is porous, the old spores will not be killed. Bleach does not kill mold in porous materials, like wood. You need a solution/product that kills mold spores. Home Cheapo now carries products that do that.

Once you kill the spores, you need to seal up the wood, to protect it from moisture. Use a good sealant/paint, and caulk and seal the edges/seams/etc....go nuts. Try to seal ALL surfaces of wood.

Then install a dehumidifier in the room, and also a safe moisture-removal item (as has been already suggested).

(FWIW - We do a lot of water damage repair work in homes)

Hoarding, as a human behavior, may be a response to perceived or predicted shortages of specific goods, or …..a compulsive abnormal behavior.
These guns are pretty old and historic. I don't want to be painting them or putting chemicals on them. If I just wiped away the mold and then put in a dehumidifier, would it be good enough?
Old 07-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Prepared in NH

Quote:
These guns are pretty old and historic. I don't want to be painting them or putting chemicals on them. If I just wiped away the mold and then put in a dehumidifier, would it be good enough?

I actually wasn't talking about painting the guns, I was referring to the gun cabinet/wooden closet:
Quote:
I have a gun safe that I made by putting some homemade gun racks inside a freestanding locking wooden closet. Inside, I store a bunch of old military rifles with wooden stocks. It always smells kind of musty and "woody" whenever I open the thing up....
Old 07-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,345 Times in 521 Posts

Get rid of the wood, and I guarantee that your mold goes away, too.

The wood is the source of your mold.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:04 AM
What would McGyver do?

may i suggest polygun bags. it's a bag with somekind of chemical cloth inside put the item in the bag, put bag in safe. haven't tried them yet but sounds like a good idea.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:36 AM
Prepared in NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzchopper View Post
may i suggest polygun bags. it's a bag with somekind of chemical cloth inside put the item in the bag, put bag in safe. haven't tried them yet but sounds like a good idea.
That's a great suggestion to include with the proper treatment of the wood in the closet. Other option is to store them elsewhere....
Old 07-07-2009, 11:51 PM
What would McGyver do?

Default quite true

moving the safe would be the best cure,however it might be a bit heavy
Old 07-08-2009, 12:06 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,191 Times in 4,116 Posts

Is the area where you keep your guns not air conditioned? Dry out the surrounding air and the mold won't be happy.

Donate to help this forum.
www.survivalistboards.com/payments.php

New Solar Powered Backup Generator Provides Instant Electrical Power In Any Outage Or Disaster.
http://images.ultracart.com/aff/E1DE...800/index.html
Old 07-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHCraigT View Post
That's a great suggestion to include with the proper treatment of the wood in the closet. Other option is to store them elsewhere....
As I said, the cabinet is just a build-it-yourself deal I got from Wal-Mart. It is made of plywood, but the outside is covered with sort of a giant sticker that makes it look like nice, natural wood. The sticker is very difficult to remove.

It smells strongly of wood inside and also seems damp. How might I "treat" the inside to kill the dampness?
Old 07-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***** View Post
Is the area where you keep your guns not air conditioned? Dry out the surrounding air and the mold won't be happy.
The room is not normally air-conditioned and the humidity levels are normal. The interior of the cabinet often seems moist, however.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Living the Obomination

I think I have a solution: Go buy a gun safe. Put a dehumidifier rod in it.You will sleep better knowing the guns are safer from mold, rust, and theft.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to American Chestnut For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,345 Times in 521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Chestnut View Post
I think I have a solution: Go buy a gun safe. Put a dehumidifier rod in it.You will sleep better knowing the guns are safer from mold, rust, and theft.
There's your answer.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:55 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Chestnut View Post
Sorry Obama, I don't have enough money for a gun safe right now. How about another stimulus?
Old 07-10-2009, 04:28 AM
Living the Obomination

I'd sell a gun to buy a safe. You can get something decent for under $1,000. They can be had from Home Depot and Lowes. While they are for sure not a nice as a $4K Fort Knox safe they are miles ahead of a wooden box.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10053 skip the electronic lock though.

Here is something for about $300. but its not a safe. I also have one of these for my ammo.
http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/...ternative.html >>>scroll down<<<

I see I need to change my avitar again...never been called "Obama" before